Wiki Posts
Search

z01-t vs. mbx6t

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default z01-t vs. mbx6t

i am looking to buy a new truggy and i have narrowed it down to only the o'donnell z01-t and the mugen mbx6t. im leaning more towards the z01-t for numbers of reason the biggest reason is parts are cheaper. i do not want any other truggy but one of these two. but i would like to know the pros and cons of both? also what breaks on both? and how do they both handle?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
i am looking to buy a new truggy and i have narrowed it down to only the o'donnell z01-t and the mugen mbx6t. im leaning more towards the z01-t for numbers of reason the biggest reason is parts are cheaper. i do not want any other truggy but one of these two. but i would like to know the pros and cons of both? also what breaks on both? and how do they both handle?

thanks in advance.
Buddy of mine has the Z01-T and its fast and tough....nothing wrong with it. I have the mbx6t its great too, not sure if its as tough, but its a nice truck as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have had both and there is really no comparison. The Mugen is a far superior truck. The Odonnell is based on an older platform the plastics wear out faster and the diffs are an extreme weak point on the truck. The Mugen jumps better, is more stable and turns far better both on and off power. I am not saying the Odonnell is a bad truck but it does not come close to the Mugen.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Drive both and see which you prefer.. I know which one I would choose
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T-spoon
i wish i could but no one has an z01-t around here. it mostly losi, z-truggies (almost everyone has a z-truggy) and some mugens. but i am currently running a jammin x2 buggy and i run my dads x2 tuggy a good bit in pro truggy but i want something different so thats why im looking at these truggies.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Initiate

I have had the ZO1-T for about 8 months and have not broken any plastic. So i'm not sure what the complaint is on the plastic. I race 3 out of 4 weekends and I have gone through 1 rear diff and 2 shock cartriges. The diff was stripped on the first outing with the truck and went out because I didn't have it shimmed properly. Once I got help with that, Have had no issues. The droop was not set properly on the shock which created that problem. Upkeep my friend will keep you trouble free. As for the turning, diff oil has everything to do with that so if you are having trouble get someone who knows whats going on to help you. My truck will turn inside itself. You will be happy with either of them though.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bwalton
I have had the ZO1-T for about 8 months and have not broken any plastic. So i'm not sure what the complaint is on the plastic. I race 3 out of 4 weekends and I have gone through 1 rear diff and 2 shock cartriges. The diff was stripped on the first outing with the truck and went out because I didn't have it shimmed properly. Once I got help with that, Have had no issues. The droop was not set properly on the shock which created that problem. Upkeep my friend will keep you trouble free. As for the turning, diff oil has everything to do with that so if you are having trouble get someone who knows whats going on to help you. My truck will turn inside itself. You will be happy with either of them though.
Very well said Brady... Maintenance is a must, it will reward you in the end
now if we could be as fast as you we would be all good...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-spoon
Where are you located Jmaxey? I'm in Raleigh, NC. I'll be runing my first race with the Z01-T on the 16th. There are a few guys runing the MBX6T in my club as well. You could come out and drive both, as well as several Losi's a few Jammin's, and even an X-Ray.

I certainly hope Matrixmike's wrong about the OD vs. the Mugen....I was down to the same two trucks, but I chose the Z01-T because I wanted to bring a new player into the game at my track.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Where are you located Jmaxey? I'm in Raleigh, NC. I'll be runing my first race with the Z01-T on the 16th. There are a few guys runing the MBX6T in my club as well. You could come out and drive both, as well as several Losi's a few Jammin's, and even an X-Ray.

I certainly hope Matrixmike's wrong about the OD vs. the Mugen....I was down to the same two trucks, but I chose the Z01-T because I wanted to bring a new player into the game at my track.
im live in Athens, Ga near UGA. yea im really thinking of odonnell also because i want something different. i already have an x2 truggy that my dad lets me use almost anytime i want since he got an z01b. im not a fan of losi, if they didnt wear so quick i would get one just cause everyone runs them. and xray is just too expensive for me parts are high and hard to find. mugen is nice and i can get parts pretty easy for it but like i said im like you and want to be different lol.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
im live in Athens, Ga near UGA. yea im really thinking of odonnell also because i want something different. i already have an x2 truggy that my dad lets me use almost anytime i want since he got an z01b. im not a fan of losi, if they didnt wear so quick i would get one just cause everyone runs them. and xray is just too expensive for me parts are high and hard to find. mugen is nice and i can get parts pretty easy for it but like i said im like you and want to be different lol.
I have read everyones post i personally had a zo1-b and switched to Mugen. I love my mugen buggy and truggy and would not go back. with that said i race with brady and whips my butt with his od. I have read alot of complaints about the od's I would highly recommend not buying any of them till you can drive one. I have been through about 5 trucks before i settled on Mugen it was a costly mistake on my part. Diffrent trucks work better for diffrent drivers i agree with tspoon you need to drive them to find the one that fits you.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bwalton
BWalton, I am only speaking of my own experience. I went through 5 rear ring and pinions in 4 months. I only shimmed the first one. After that they were shimmed by a very very experienced driver and still kept on failing. Like I said just my experience. As for the plastics I had shock screws stripping out in the arms after only a couple races and the turnbuckles were popping off the balls constantly, the lower shock caps also failed on me several times (that one was partly user error from not setting droop). Oh I forgot about the upper arm mounts stripping out on the rear shock tower saw that three times. All Rc brands have their faults. For me the Odaniel had the most. But hey you are still faster than me even with a broken truggy
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs

Awesome guy
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Mike my boy! You will not hear me bash the mugen because they are great trucks. But the OD ain't bad either. I have had good luck with mine so I can't complain. Even though you drive a mugen I will still save you and Jeremy a seat at Chili's after we throw it down at Finishline!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Ditto man, I have no brand loyalty to any manufacturer. Just sharing my experiences. For me the OD was not a good truck. Once I switched to Mugen I have had none of those failures. The thread starter was asking for opinions so I gave mine. I will be happy to say I have seen you have success with the OD though I am sure that is why you are a OD sponsored driver and I am sponsored by ebay lol. I will definitely return that favor at Chillis anytime.

Last edited by matrixmike28; 01-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default Mugen rocks....

I drive an 808, but in truggy, mugen is the king....IMO...Stable, durable, super quality fit and finish, and freakin flies over bumps and jumps, a little tuning is needed, but nothing crazy, move the front upper arms all the way foreward for more steering and let up on the front brakes a little. 80rear, 20front.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.