Wiki Posts
Search

nova p5xlt brake in help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default nova p5xlt brake in help.

got engine temp up to 180 with a gun before it would even turn over ,once it started the engine would only run for about 2-3 mins before it stopped,it would start right back up and in 2-3 mins stall again.i thought it might be rich on the low since i was at factory setting(5 turns out) so i turned her in a half or so,well than she idled a bit fast and temps got to 240,im using 30%,whats the deal? is this normal. i was going to brake her in like i read on this thread,just put it on the ground and run it a few times soft for 2-3 min,let it cool and so on( the brake in bible). need some advice. thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you went half a turn you prob went to lean set it back to factory and lean it an hour at a time till you can get it to run
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ahh, my favorite engine....

It hard to say based on reading a post and not being there, but You did the right thing, the low end is almost always rich, but the high end needle may be a little lean, or the idle needs to be turned down. And 30 percent is a little much for a brand new engine. I usually use 20 percent with 12 percent oil content for my first gallon, then switch to 25 percent, but it's not unheard of to break it in with 30 percent. that does seem a little hot. I don't own a temp gun it makes me think too much. Take the air filter off and look at the idle gap inside the carb, it should be around 1mm, if it looks wider then you know it nees to be lowered. Try putting the low speed needle back where it was. The p5 is tight, and it will just stop if you let it idle when brand new, it's so tight. Give it a little throttle and kep it running and if it gets hot then richen up the top end and don't overev it, and be slow with the throttle input, no fast revs. Make small changes to the top and if it doesn't help then do it for the low end too. I usually go for the low end first and it's always too rich, so I see your worry. Just be patient, you aren't in a hurry, take it easy, and it will run cool. Good engine choice, but they are a little off from the factory settings.... good luck....And crazy fast is right, you might have gone too far.....small changes.....
Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have two ways of measuring my temps the one that is reading high is the one from my dx3s the telemtary one,my heat temp gun is about 20 degrees lower.im thinking its my dx3s since most of the shit on it is off as well, ie the tach is a waste, can i go to the 20% now or just keep with the 30%
Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigguyrc8
i have two ways of measuring my temps the one that is reading high is the one from my dx3s the telemtary one,my heat temp gun is about 20 degrees lower.im thinking its my dx3s since most of the shit on it is off as well, ie the tach is a waste, can i go to the 20% now or just keep with the 30%
use 30% , it will be fine . i recommend 30/11 byrons gen2
ENGINE RUN IN

use a heat gun to heat to 200 before you start at each step

You will have to play with the needles a little bit and cover the head of your engine with a pit rag (or similar)

do 3 heat cycles within the first tank at 190-210 degrees (3-5 min. intervals),
at idle on stand? yes.

then run it around on the ground gently only slightly rich keeping the temp between 210-230 (monitoring temps frequently ) careful not to let the engine get into its powerband , do this for about 1 full tank at a time but do not let it run out of fuel .do this for 3 tanks (cooling in between tanks), quarter throttle or so with short blips of more (full) throttle ..

not fast? slow pulls on the throttle in 30-40ft bursts .

then richen the needles a bit and run it about 190-210 on the track for 3 straight tanks monitoring temps frequently(every 2 laps) for the first couple of minutes until the engine runs at a consistent temp and feel.(start to lean out slowly)when you get it tuned in to where its not totally screaming but you have enough power to make the jumps with a slight bog at full throttle and runs at about 210-230, let it cool

(check the plug at this point),

what am I looking for exactly on the plug ? make sure the plug still glows and looks new, if it looks all distorted pull it out as you dont want a plug filament to go through the engine

go out and run the rest of the gallon til the engine richens up dramatically on its own and the temp drops instantly (i call it "dropping its nuts"). this process sometimes takes more than a full gallon .hope this helps ya , pretty detailed

I have had great success with this method and longevity , monty
www.houstonsengineservice.com

heres something to try and help u out
and use an exergen
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Monty,

what's going on and hows racing?

i see you have changed a bit the breaking-in method??!! in the breaking-in bible, you said run the car for 2-3 minutes (5 times) and let it cool in between
then 4-5 minutes (5 times) and let it cool in between. then take the car to the track.

which method shall i use for my coming engineS

cheers

Ali
Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
Hey Monty,

i see you have changed a bit the breaking-in method??!! in the breaking-in bible, you said run the car for 2-3 minutes (5 times) and let it cool in between
then 4-5 minutes (5 times) and let it cool in between. then take the car to the track.

cheers

Ali
the break in bible has nothing to do with me personally aside from the fact that i had them sticky it up on this forum thread the guys responsible for that article are stephen bess who put together some stuff from other peoples methods , namely ron paris .

this is my method and how i break in the engines that i charge for . 60$ each engine for 1/2 gallon of properly run in engine break in
Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Hey Monty,

cheers

Ali
and the engines will be here on monday , i will get them going then .
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston
and the engines will be here on monday , i will get them going then .
HELL YEAH, thats what am talkin about
i will break-in my engine using your personal method this time. man i should charge people for breaking-in their engines too, sounds like great business i do alot of breaking-in for free and its a huge pain in the A$$

cheers Monty

Ali
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Hey Monty,

one last thing, what carb venturi you use with the P5XLT?? 7, 6.5 or 6?? to get a good balance of both power and run time?? i run 6 on my Plus4, shall i use the same for the P5 ??

cheers
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Hey Monty,

one last thing, what carb venturi you use with the P5XLT?? 7, 6.5 or 6?? to get a good balance of both power and run time?? i run 6 on my Plus4, shall i use the same for the P5 ??

cheers
I like 7 buggy and 8 truggy , I like to have the power available
Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

what about the Plus 4??
Old 12-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigguyrc8
got engine temp up to 180 with a gun before it would even turn over ,once it started the engine would only run for about 2-3 mins before it stopped,it would start right back up and in 2-3 mins stall again.i thought it might be rich on the low since i was at factory setting(5 turns out) so i turned her in a half or so,well than she idled a bit fast and temps got to 240,im using 30%,whats the deal? is this normal. i was going to brake her in like i read on this thread,just put it on the ground and run it a few times soft for 2-3 min,let it cool and so on( the brake in bible). need some advice. thanks
start off with a hot plug, in this case, O'Donnel's 77T. I had the same probs as yours when I used Nova's own C7 Ultra (thought they'd last longer).

You'll be surprised how easier it is to tune from there on... Use monty's guide.

Cheers and Happy New Year!