R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   CUSTOM VINLY WRAP vs CUSTOM PAINT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/355710-custom-vinly-wrap-vs-custom-paint.html)

8secnotch 12-29-2009 01:00 PM

CUSTOM VINLY WRAP vs CUSTOM PAINT

Im getting ready to do up a couple of bodies for the 2010 season but before I do i was wondering which way should I go. Before now I've always painted my own bodies and had pretty good luck doing so but it seem that there are alot more people wrapping there bodies now a days. I just wanted to know what advantages or disadvantages a custom wrapped body would have over a custom painted body if any. I always liked the custom one off paint jobs but now you can do a custom one off wrap. I'm up in the air with this please help. Thanks

Lars Johnson 12-29-2009 01:15 PM

I used to love painting for myself and other guys, but save yourself the time and frustration and have a professional graphix guy wrap your stuff. They last just as long (if not longer) than painted bodies, look better than paint in my opinion, and completely customizable to your liking, with whatever manufacturers to which you want to show your support. They are simple to install, very durable, easy to maintain (a little Pledge does wonders), and you can get everything done to match - glow ignitors, radios, starter boxes, Ott lights, etc.

a great place to start --> Fastlane Graphix, or via email - [email protected]

Trey7 12-29-2009 01:15 PM

I chose the wrap myself for this year, reason why, last year I went through 3 bodies that cracked at the hood and got tired of paying so much for the bodies for them to just crack. I saw a lot of guys with wraps and talked to the about it. They told me the bodies will last longer and have a lot less chance of cracking. So I got hooked up by Chad at Fastlane Graphics and he did me a one off wrap and so far with 3 races on it, no signs of cracks or damage and they clean up easy and look like new after clean up compared to my painted bodies. I will never paint another body again.

jpalessi 12-29-2009 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson (Post 6778976)
I used to love painting for myself and other guys, but save yourself the time and frustration and have a professional graphix guy wrap your stuff. They last just as long (if not longer) than painted bodies, look better than paint in my opinion, and completely customizable to your liking, with whatever manufacturers to which you want to show your support. They are simple to install, very durable, easy to maintain (a little Pledge does wonders), and you can get everything done to match - glow ignitors, radios, starter boxes, Ott lights, etc.

+1 www.fastlane-graphix.com

ABURTON 12-29-2009 02:13 PM

Chad has started doing all my work and does great. Just recently the shop placed a very large order and it's only going to take around 1 week to get it completed.

AB

o.s. power 12-29-2009 02:33 PM

wraps are definitely better than paint if you are after durability. my brother has the wrap that came with the mugen car and it still looks great. needed some cutting done to get it to fit right but when you compare my body, which is hit, his still looks great. wraps are pricey up front though...

smokinu 12-29-2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by o.s. power (Post 6779272)
wraps are pricey up front though...

Not really Chad at Fastlane has great prices like 70 bucks for a non custom wrap beats a 100 dollar paint anyday.

jet flyer 12-29-2009 03:03 PM

wrap it, my body is still going strong after a season with a custom upgrade rc wrap. A bit of a pain in the arse to install :eek: but worth the effort. For next season I'm going to try one of Chad's wraps I'm sure it will hold up just as well.

chickenfarmer 12-29-2009 03:48 PM

WOW! Thanks a lot guys!!

We have customizable wraps for 50$ for buggies, we will soon have a line that is even a little cheaper. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Integra 12-29-2009 04:13 PM

as much as Chad's wrap's Look the BOMB.....i personally prefer paint....i really hate when the edges of the wraps start to curl up and you have to cut them back or CA them back in place...and wraps are generally heavier then paint....downside to paint is that if the painter presses just an hair too hard the cut lines can crack later on down the road...but if you get a good painter that shouldn't be an issue. :)

jkas10 12-29-2009 04:34 PM

+3 for Fastlane! Wrap that Rascal :nod:

jpalessi 12-29-2009 04:55 PM

My fastlane graphix wraps have never peeled or curled on the edges,,, in fact i had to pull one off my transmitter one time to replace with a fresh design and it was a nightmare! trick to install is, after the wrap is on hit it with a blow dryer and rub down the edges and pop any bubbles that rise from the heat.

Bigedmond 12-29-2009 05:00 PM

Chads stuff is great. But nothing beats the color from a great paint job. Some colors just dont come across from a printer.

Tate72 12-29-2009 05:04 PM

+10 On this.... Chad does some awesome stuff. This is the only way that I will ever go with our stuff.

Be safer than sorry and wrap it... LOL!!!

Integra 12-29-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jpalessi (Post 6779896)
My fastlane graphix wraps have never peeled or curled on the edges,,, in fact i had to pull one off my transmitter one time to replace with a fresh design and it was a nightmare! trick to install is, after the wrap is on hit it with a blow dryer and rub down the edges and pop any bubbles that rise from the heat.

I use the hair dryer trick and my edge's were good...but on places like the front end on a truggy that Does see the dirt on occasion was where it would peel.....Granted these were Upgrade wraps...so im not sure if Chad's vinyl is much different from theirs as far as tackyness and glue....Chad care to enlighten us on what kind of vinyl and how thick ?

chickenfarmer 12-29-2009 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6779985)
I use the hair dryer trick and my edge's were good...but on places like the front end on a truggy that Does see the dirt on occasion was where it would peel.....Granted these were Upgrade wraps...so im not sure if Chad's vinyl is much different from theirs as far as tackyness and glue....Chad care to enlighten us on what kind of vinyl and how thick ?

We use different material than they do, alltho it is the same thickness.

All I can say is its some extra tough, super sticky stuff. :sneaky::sneaky:

smokinu 12-29-2009 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by chickenfarmer (Post 6780047)

i need to send you an email on some ideas i have for a wrap!
thats going to cost an arm and a leg i need
truggy
sc10
radio
starter box
charger
ott light
pitmat

thats going to be a good day for you a bad day for my debit card. :lol: :sneaky:

chickenfarmer 12-29-2009 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokinu (Post 6780066)
i need to send you an email on some ideas i have for a wrap!
thats going to cost an arm and a leg i need
truggy
sc10
radio
starter box
charger
ott light
pitmat

thats going to be a good day for you a bad day for my debit card. :lol: :sneaky:

LOL!!! But it will be a good day for you when you open the box. :D

Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can get you all taken care of.

Integra 12-29-2009 05:39 PM

cool...PM sent btw.

PMDRC 12-29-2009 05:40 PM

No kidding... Make sure you have it where you want it :D:D:D

Cory Richardson 12-29-2009 05:53 PM

You will not be disappointed with Chad's wraps. Fastlane is the only choice.:nod:

R/C Lidz 12-29-2009 06:22 PM

of course I'm gonna have a biased opinion here, but:

A wrap just can't look as good as a nice custom paint job. Sure the details and logos, etc. can be made smaller and more intricate, but vinyl will never have the depth or gloss that a painted lid will have. If you want something that looks like a MX graphic kit on your ride, then a wrap is a fine choice. If you want something like you see on a kustom car/ truck then paint would be a better choice.

Most painters these days offer logos on the paint jobs as well as a custom scheme, like the wraps do. Also, a paint job will be truly custom, unless you get one of Doug's mass-produced version from ebay.

It's a matter of personal preference.:nod: I have customers that choose to have a custom body over a wrap, even if it takes longer or costs more. I've contemplated picking up a wrap for my own buggies on more than one occasion, I'm not knocking them. But, when I see the price tag on a generic, non-custom, wrap I quickly come to my senses;).

r1harper 12-29-2009 06:30 PM

i likes the paint myself...Jim of W.E.D does mine and looks good yes yes. i have looked at some wraps to just try.

J.Sears 12-29-2009 06:43 PM

Check out Bradleys fine line design. This guy is freaking amazing he does some of the best work I have every seen.

Jaz240 12-29-2009 09:38 PM

I will agree with the wrappers. I've gotten custom paint done by both WED and BCG Industries and while they were both completely sick paint jobs, the paint scratched off and the lids cracked very quickly. My wrap takes abuse and always looks great and it makes the lid stronger so you dont have to buy lids as often. i will also agree that nothing looks better than that freshly painted lid, but after one or two times around the track it dont look like that anymore, unless you cover the inside with shoo-goo, but it still cracks during the flexing. I am hooked on wraps now and will never get another paint job unless its a do it myself job on a practice lid. Take a look see what Chad at fastlanne has done for me:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/5205/dsc5804.jpg

Frank L 12-29-2009 09:52 PM

I love the wraps over the painted jobs. I have been running them all year. I do like to change my bodys more than the avg guy I think I did 4 this year. Only one is toast the others are in pretty good shape. I like the ease and options that the wraps come with. I dont have to add any other stickers all the logos are in the wrap. I get my stuff from upgrade and I put them on everything I can. It's nice to be able to look down pit lane and instantly pick out my starter box and fuel gun. IMO the wraps are the way to go. Sure they get scratched up and when another truck does a burnout ontop of your truck things do tear a little bit but thats racing. Some of the guys I run with can be animals. I espically like the new factory flo from upgrade with flo colors and chrome colors, they are a little flashy for my style but man do they look good. Does fastlane have any flo or chrome colors?

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...1/IMG_0158.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...1/IMG_0159.jpg

jpalessi 12-29-2009 10:05 PM

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSC_0227-1.jpg

get in the fastlane or get left behind! :p:lol:

jpalessi 12-29-2009 10:07 PM

Jaz ur chit is FIRE! me likey!

Inertia 12-29-2009 10:42 PM

What wrap is that Jp. love the flagging

jpalessi 12-29-2009 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Inertia (Post 6781348)
What wrap is that Jp. love the flagging

www.fastlane-graphix.com

porkchop 12-29-2009 11:15 PM

i love paint but i hate paying the price for and i mean what painter can flip a body in week

chad get my stuff done and to me in week or less and it always perfect.

and talk about a mother taking a old start box wrap of to redo one it a pain in the ass.

now time for some of chads work he done for me
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Series0958.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/CIMG0065.jpg

Inertia 12-29-2009 11:17 PM

Yeah I know but know of the designs have the same look as yours, and im unsure on how to make a custom one, is that how you did yours?

jpalessi 12-29-2009 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Inertia (Post 6781449)
Yeah I know but know of the designs have the same look as yours, and im unsure on how to make a custom one, is that how you did yours?

yes mine is a custom design that was originally paint. I just sent chad a couple pics, and what i got was better then expected. Over time it's been tweeked to what its is today... in fact im painting a new one now, and im using 3 colors instead of the 2 i normally use. :D

i just dug up a pic of my original paint where my current design originated from...WOW

R/C Lidz 12-30-2009 05:33 AM

Didn't realize this was a "lay it on the table" thread, but... I can lay it down too :sneaky: (the following bodies are all 100% paint)

killabud 12-30-2009 06:50 AM

I give plenty of props to Chad, his work is second to none. But I must say that a real high quality paint job like the ones above cant be matched.

Trey7 12-30-2009 06:58 AM

custom painted job are nice when you have it on the shelf, but after to spend that kind of money and take it to the track for it to get cracked, you will be pissed. Been there done that, that is why I will stick with wraps for now on. Fastlane Graphics is the only way to go.

Tres 12-30-2009 08:39 AM

Sweet paint Lidz!

"Smiley" 12-30-2009 09:01 AM

The Body Wraps have came a long way since they were first released. But, No Wrap will outlast a Custom Painted Body. I personally Custom Paint Bodies as well, Check out my Paint By: "Smiley" Thread in the Painting Forum. I have one of the quickest Turn-Around Times. Say I recieve your body on Monday, I will have it in the mail to you that Wednesday. 1-3 Day Turn-Around time, And great paint work! If ya need any work done, Feel free to ask! Prices are extremely reasonable too. ;)

8secnotch 12-30-2009 09:17 AM

I've been looking at lot of wrapped bodies and I like the everything about them except where the seams are. Where a painted body it is seamless it just flows better imo. Also what is it that make the bodies last longer with a wrapped body compared to a painted body and how much heavier do you think a wrapped body is.

and LIDZ that is some sweet paint work

Tres 12-30-2009 09:29 AM

A wrapped body will not crack like the painted body.
The vinyl supports it.

Example would be around the rear shock towers on most trucks.

On nitro bodies, if you SHOE-GOO the painted bodies.
It's about the same or a little less for the wrapped body.