Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
AKA super softs. Has anyone got some feedback? >

AKA super softs. Has anyone got some feedback?

AKA super softs. Has anyone got some feedback?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I was thinking the same thing

softer tire=faster wear
in some cases james it dose..
but the colder the temperature the harder the ss are going to be

that's why you run softs when its cold and mediums or hard when its hot

because when the tire heats up it gets softer.
and as it gets cold the tire gets harder..
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Prophet

i dont know i ran city blocks the soft compound tires when it was pretty cool, outside and they seem to grip good on my 1/8 buggy.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
in some cases james it dose..
but the colder the temperature the harder the ss are going to be

that's why you run softs when its cold and mediums or hard when its hot

because when the tire heats up it gets softer.
and as it gets cold the tire gets harder..
Yea I understand that but the softer you make a tire whether it is from the factory or with a spray on softener the faster it is going to wear out, thats just the laws of physics, there's no way to change that. Softer = less density=faster wear
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

you can take a hard compound tire and use the reino's it makes the tire more pliable. Instead of the nubs being stiff and unflexable it makes them more forgiving for traction. I am a dealer for reino's marinade. It comes in a combo pack. first the marinade that you apply to your tire with a tooth brush then put in a 1 gallon freezer bag or compatible for 24 hours. then the spray for at the track. that you apply 10-15 min. before your heat. I was skeptical about this at first,but after applying to some used[about60% left] crime fighters the tires came back to life. instead of sliding around the track they were actually gripping,and not for 5-10 minutes. I still use them for practice. now i use it on all my tires. the car really grips the tracks well. I have used it on all surface types. It is 20.00 shipped lower 48 only.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Still doesn't justify the comment that softer tires last longer.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I have ran the SS Grid Irons for both buggy and truggy at Thunder Alley in Beaumont, Ca. They were truely an unfair advantage! ZERO traction problems, TQ'ed Sidewinder race about a month ago with the truggy and did really well qualifying with the buggy. Unfortuantely i had mechanical/electrical issues in both classes during the mains. Thunder Alley is known as a pretty abrasive track, I would say the tires had a solid 45 minutes until they were worn. No big deal tho, any small pin tire would have done the same there.
If your track calls for a small pin SS tire, dont hesitate to give the AKAs a try.

I also ran the cblocks in SS, they felt really good but would have been to grabby on the rutted track. Will be running those at ARC this wknd, will try to post a review for those as well. As far as wear goes, AKAs are top notch. Hopefully there soft foams will be released here in a month or so too
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bigmatt
you can take a hard compound tire and use the reino's it makes the tire more pliable. Instead of the nubs being stiff and unflexable it makes them more forgiving for traction. I am a dealer for reino's marinade. It comes in a combo pack. first the marinade that you apply to your tire with a tooth brush then put in a 1 gallon freezer bag or compatible for 24 hours. then the spray for at the track. that you apply 10-15 min. before your heat. I was skeptical about this at first,but after applying to some used[about60% left] crime fighters the tires came back to life. instead of sliding around the track they were actually gripping,and not for 5-10 minutes. I still use them for practice. now i use it on all my tires. the car really grips the tracks well. I have used it on all surface types. It is 20.00 shipped lower 48 only.

If I can get the wear ability of a medium compound with the traction of a soft it might be worth a shot
Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If I can get the wear ability of a medium compound with the traction of a soft it might be worth a shot
you just said every thing I was trying to say, thank you! I am using xtr and the m2? med compound crimefighters along with the aka grid irons.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Then you need to run AKA's

The Soft AKA's are softer than M2 PL's and wear 2-2.5 times longer.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Then you need to run AKA's

The Soft AKA's are softer than M2 PL's and wear 2-2.5 times longer.
I do run AKA's Jimmy I run soft and medium here in AZ depending on track and weather, but the soft do wear out much quicker..still no where near as quick as all other tires, but definitely quicker than the medium compound..some tracks just have to have Calipers..too great of a tire to not use on occasion
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

So hard packed clay in cold conditions for a truggy. City Blocks SS or I-Beams SS?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
So hard packed clay in cold conditions for a truggy. City Blocks SS or I-Beams SS?
m3 revolvers work best

but ss cblocks work better then the bigger lug i beams.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bigmatt
you just said every thing I was trying to say, thank you! I am using xtr and the m2? med compound crimefighters along with the aka grid irons.
Looks like im gonna have to try some Ragu sause then.

[

the I's will last A LOT longer then the citi's will...but it still depends on the track condition's which will prevail and have better traction.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Looks like im gonna have to try some Ragu sause then.

[

the I's will last A LOT longer then the citi's will...but it still depends on the track condition's which will prevail and have better traction.
You comming to Motorama?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Lord

You comming to Motorama?

doubt it....with AZ, Alabama and Ontario on the schedule....i dont think i can fit it in......IF someone's putting me up....then i would make it happen....but with hotel/car rental/travel it'll be a little much.

Sooo you got an extra room buddy ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.