R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   2.4 Specktrum Antenna Length (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/352457-2-4-specktrum-antenna-length.html)

rcgeezer 12-16-2009 03:09 PM

2.4 Specktrum Antenna Length

I know that 2.4 mhz now allows us to run much shorter antennas than before, but what are your experiences with just laying the wire in the box and running NO antenna? Advisable or not? Please weigh in!!

JBURCH 12-16-2009 03:11 PM

I cut mine about and inch above the antenna holder and then cut the antenna cover down to size and capped it, its under the body straight up with no problems, been like that for two years.

losi_racer 12-16-2009 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by rcgeezer (Post 6728463)
I know that 2.4 mhz now allows us to run much shorter antennas than before, but what are your experiences with just laying the wire in the box and running NO antenna? Advisable or not? Please weigh in!!

dsm receivers are fine to cut but they say to run them full or to an exact measurement which i dont remember because i never cut mine.

i now have been runnin dx3r which is dsm2 and have ran this for about a year with the antenna at full lenght up and down but for last 4 months i put excess wire in the box and leave it about 2 inches high out of the box and had zero issues

Goomba_7 12-16-2009 03:53 PM

I currently have my KO Propo 2.4Ghz just in my radio box kind of coiled around the RX. has been working fine since. Even on practice days when there is a bunch of others on the track.

Zerodefect 12-16-2009 04:00 PM

I heat the antennae tube so I can fold it flat and keep it inside the body on my buggy. Stole that idea from Old Grouchy.

In my cars with larger bodies I just don't put a hole in the body and let the antennae tube bend up against the body.

butch man 12-16-2009 07:23 PM

Depends on what kind of ant your reciever has. I know the older spek can be cut to exactly 3.6" & I have done that give or take an inch many times & kept the ant tube inside the body & you cant feel a range difference, or coiled inside the reciever box with no major problems but it does seem to affect range more than just a bit. The farthest I ever get from my car is 125' with DSM1 or DSM2.Also with either the max safe range for spek seems to be 200' & thats from testing multiple spek systems not just my stuff.

The new spek with coaxial ant can not be cut or bent sharply period. If the wire lenght is changed or the inner wire is damaged they get real random real fast.I learned the hard way & most of the people I run with go back to DSM1 recievers as soon as their ant gets damaged which is pretty quickly as those new wires are FRAGILE.I would not even think of coiling them in my rec box but then I dont like to have them sticking out of the car,again their too fragile.

My solution as said before is take the hit on responce time & use the DSM1 recievers simply for the flexability those antennas provide.

Are all the new coaxial ant the same from brand to brand ,fragile wise? I would assume so but ?

wfo 12-16-2009 07:28 PM

coiled in the box with no hole in my body I run @ Rev if it has reception there it will have it every where....

8ightisenough 12-17-2009 08:59 AM

Do you just cap off the antenna at the top of the tube or bend the antenna at the top of the tube then cap it off?

Integra 12-17-2009 09:15 AM

Like Butch said Some Ant wires can be bent Some CANNOT.....Futaba uses the coax for the ant and they are somewhat fragile but not that bad....ive had an ant tube break and the Ant was just fine.....I never wrap or tuck the wire in the box...imo your asking for issues if you do.....the Ant doesn't need to be outside the body on say a truggy...buggy you dont really have a choice with the body being soo close.

l3asher 12-17-2009 09:32 AM

I run mine under my truggy body. Thinking about running it in the tude, but not out the top and capping it off.

8ightisenough 12-17-2009 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6731704)
Like Butch said Some Ant wires can be bent Some CANNOT.....Futaba uses the coax for the ant and they are somewhat fragile but not that bad....ive had an ant tube break and the Ant was just fine.....I never wrap or tuck the wire in the box...imo your asking for issues if you do.....the Ant doesn't need to be outside the body on say a truggy...buggy you dont really have a choice with the body being soo close.

I don't know much about Futaba as thread is about spektrum. I was asking about the 2.4 spektrum antenna being bent the at the top of the antenna tube then capped off i have a 3500 spektrum receiver. Or should i just leave the antenna strait same length as the tube then cap it off.

Marcus Falconie 12-17-2009 10:18 AM

radio

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps-cpf1-3s.jpg

fatdaddy 12-17-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 8ightisenough (Post 6731773)
I don't know much about Futaba as thread is about spektrum. I was asking about the 2.4 spektrum antenna being bent the at the top of the antenna tube then capped off i have a 3500 spektrum receiver. Or should i just leave the antenna strait same length as the tube then cap it off.

either way is fine

underway 12-17-2009 12:18 PM

You can run the spektrum antenna in the box... Spektrum has the 2.4ghz down to a science... Its the best in the business. Radio may leave a little to be desired but I deal with it because the reliability is awesome...

smokinu 12-17-2009 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by underway (Post 6732323)
You can run the spektrum antenna in the box... Spektrum has the 2.4ghz down to a science... Its the best in the business. Radio may leave a little to be desired but I deal with it because the reliability is awesome...

i ripped an antanna off about 1 inch above the case of the rx

so i left it alone in a revo and drove it about 400 feet away never lost controll...

i was about 1 city block away from my self truck looked like an 18th scale.