Wiki Posts
Search

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default New guy

I am considering getting in to Gas off road and looking to see where to start. I gave 1/10 on road a shot, but I'm just not that in to it. Can anyone give me some advice on what car to start with, as well as what engine, etc...? Thanks.

BTW, does anyone race at Awesome RC in Fredericksburg, VA? That is the closest track to me.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (95%+)
Lightbulb

Hey bud, preferably, when I started racing I started with electric 1/10 truck class, as I progressed into the years I moved slowly to Nitro (Gas in your terms) But the main thing with Nitro is it costs SOO much, but if you like the thrill and sound that a Nitro class brings, then nitro all the way. But I really recomend the RC10GT2 for a nitro gas truck thats an economic and cheap way to begin with. The RC10GT2 is a very nice truck out of the box and fairly easy for the beginner class. Good Luck and hope you find something! -MT
Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (95%+)

And as engines go I would recomend either an OS .15.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jackster
I am considering getting in to Gas off road and looking to see where to start. I gave 1/10 on road a shot, but I'm just not that in to it. Can anyone give me some advice on what car to start with, as well as what engine, etc...? Thanks.

BTW, does anyone race at Awesome RC in Fredericksburg, VA? That is the closest track to me.
I would start out with either a 1/8th buggy or truggy, thats the main classes up there at Awesome (great guys). I started with buggy and have loved it since, but the truggy is more forgiving to drive. I chose Losi and have not been disappointed at my decision going on 4 years. Im south of you and race at RC PRO in Gloucester but most of the guys from Awesome come down and we go up too. As far as engines with the types of tracks we have it will mainly be low end motor cause the straights are not that long, so I would try the OS VSPEC 21. Mine was good to me when I had one.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

What is maintenance/upkeep like? I know the initial cost is high, but is it really that high once you get what you need to start?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

What is maintenance/upkeep like? I know the initial cost is high, but is it really that high once you get what you need to start?
What ever racing kit you get the initial cost will be high, after that they are all about the same to me, plastic parts will wear out bearing will go bad etc. But nothing major has happened with my Losi. This season I spent more on fuel than on parts which is a good thing
Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Depends on your driving and what you break but things like shocks and diffs need to have the fluid replaced every 3-5 races. Glow plugs will last between 1/2 and 1 gallon of fuel, bearings will need to be replaced every 3-5 races. I personally like to try all the new products so I spend more but I would say it prob costs between $20 and $30 every race + the entry fee. i may be on the high side but I seem to spend more than that, always buying some tool or product to make my life easier at the track.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

That's not bad, and is about the same actually. I can handle that and a little bit more. What about the engines? Do they need to be rebuilt very often? Do you check them regularly?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

That's not bad, and is about the same actually. I can handle that and a little bit more. What about the engines? Do they need to be rebuilt very often? Do you check them regularly?
All the engines I have had have lasted an entire race season,but I dont lean them out like some. then I have the bearing replaced as needed and looked over by Mark at Powerhouse because I dont feel comfortable at taking my mill apart. About every gallon I replace the clutch shoes and springs just in case and allways replace the clutch bearings every race weekend cause I use Avids right now and they are only $1 apiece
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

That's good. I am very comfortable with small engines, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm glad to know that they can last the whole season.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If Awesome r/c is close to you then call them and ask what the popular classes are. I just got 2 losi gas trucks real cheap to run indoors at bumps and jumps but that class is all but dead up here in the outdoor season. I would suggest running in a popular class with a popular brand so parts and help are readily available. 1/10 scale gas trucks are among the toughest things to drive but will really hone your skills.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Good idea, but I talked with him at length this morning about classes and what's popular! He said pretty much everything is represented and parts are stocked for pretty much all of them. If something is ordered, they stock it.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hambone
If Awesome r/c is close to you then call them and ask what the popular classes are. I just got 2 losi gas trucks real cheap to run indoors at bumps and jumps but that class is all but dead up here in the outdoor season. I would suggest running in a popular class with a popular brand so parts and help are readily available. 1/10 scale gas trucks are among the toughest things to drive but will really hone your skills.
Main Classes at Awesome are 1/8th Pro Buggy and Truggy, Buggy and Truggy Sportsman. I personally have not seen any 1/10 racing there. They may but I have not see it on a given weekend.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Supposedly there's 1/10 electric like stadium trucks and such. I was thinking to run my B4 in that class (since he said it would be ok) for a while, just to get the hang of the off road thing.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

If you dont have a problem riding for a bit you can come down to Gloucester they race every Sunday and there is full line Hobby shop right in front of the track, Roger and Tammy are great people. This year we had a 9 race series and Im hoping he will do again next year, but great times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.