Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
THUNDERTIGER EK4-NEED HELP PLEASE!!! >

THUNDERTIGER EK4-NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

THUNDERTIGER EK4-NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default THUNDERTIGER EK4-NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

I have been looking for a piston and ring for my older model ek4 with no luck from anywhere I've tryed.Is there anyone who can help lead me in the right direction please?

This happens to be my first time on this forum and I didnt want to leave without without saying how cool and helpful it is.....thanks alot
Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here's a link to a page that SHOULD be the same engine as the one that's included in the EK-4. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the part numbers for the piston and ring. Just to be safe, talk to someone there before you order the parts to be sure they're compatible. I'm 99-percent sure they are.

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR9607.htm
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Ya I'd call ace before ordering to be safe

Mine had th .90 engine.... so make sure wht you have before you call them...

But I'm sure they should have the parts... those things were animals, what a blast to drive. Its like a 250 in an 80 frame rediculous
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Be VERY careful when you install the new piston and ring. The piston will have a ring alignment pin in the ring groove and you MUST install the ring so the gap is aligned with this pin. You'll see the tips of the ring are relieved to allow the ring to fit over the pin.

If you install the piston with the ring improperly aligned, the pin will get forced deeper into the piston, and the alignment of the ring gap is basically out the window. The purpose of the alignment pin is to keep the ring gap in the same position, which is on a portion of the sleeve where there are no ports. If the ring isn't fixed in that position, it's only a matter of time before the ring rotates and gets stuck in an open port and KABOOM.

I saw more of these truck engines destroyed because many owners wanted to take the engine apart to have a look inside. They failed to realize that the ring alignment was critical and they blew the engines within the first few minutes of running.