Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What should be my next truggy? >

What should be my next truggy?

What should be my next truggy?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have seen losi fail more than anything and they seem that parts wear quick but i may be wrong but thats what i think. mbx6t looks great but i hate the pivet ball steering thats me though and also i have seen alot of diff problems with them. the rc8t just looks heavy and looks like it doesnt handle well but the new ones look alot better. jammin x2 are pretty good IMO but not many people run them and people are having problems shiming them. then xray are tuff as nails but exspensive as crap. then odonnell z01t looks great and if there anything like the buggy they will lasst and not wear at all, the buggy handles like no other but the odonnell is not popular at all not many people at all are runing them. then the d8 just looks like its heavy as anything it look like it handled good and all but its so heavy and just looked a little behind and the ones ive seen just have driveshaft issues not one of them have finished a main but that might be another issue of itself. but i would go with what you like not what others like, almost everyone will say losi but i dont see why there so special IMO but i would just stick with RC8t if thats what you like.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I ran the lucy truggy 2.0 last season, that truck hands down is the best handling truck right now, it makes you look gooooood.........now wear and maintenance, be ready it requires more than others, I never had issues with the rear diff but I upgraded to the aluminum inserts and you need to properly shim it or it will go on you, bearings I did go thru a few (actually more than a few) srews come lose on shock towers, wing mount and bulkheads so you need to check it after every run, ( This can be fixed by installing the metric hardware kit), and I change to a 3 shoe clutch because I was wearing out a set of shoes within a day running a OS .28. ho yes front driveshafts they go fast too.
A very fast truck, likes to jump and overall a good racer, just too expenssive to run I think, I will be running the ST-RR next season ( I know old design truck but I got a deal on it).
I would consider the MBX6T the second best handling wise and probably one of the most reliable ones out there and maitenance is very low.
My .02
Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

just my2cents I have the RC8T with all the hoppups on it .
it is fast and can run up front but (and this may be just me)
but I can't get that bit more out of it when I need to stay there
it's like .5sec off the pace of the losi truggys at my tracks
there is two or three AE trucks but in the mains it mostly
losi with the win. I will be looking at a losi as my next truggy
come this spring. or my be some driving lessons
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
D8T. So easy to drive and be aggressive with. Best handling truggy I have tried. I just switched from mugen and am happy with the quality of the new hot bodies kits.
+1 I Gotta Agree. Very easy to drive...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
I ran the lucy truggy 2.0 last season, that truck hands down is the best handling truck right now, it makes you look gooooood.........now wear and maintenance, be ready it requires more than others, I never had issues with the rear diff but I upgraded to the aluminum inserts and you need to properly shim it or it will go on you, bearings I did go thru a few (actually more than a few) srews come lose on shock towers, wing mount and bulkheads so you need to check it after every run, ( This can be fixed by installing the metric hardware kit), and I change to a 3 shoe clutch because I was wearing out a set of shoes within a day running a OS .28. ho yes front driveshafts they go fast too.
A very fast truck, likes to jump and overall a good racer, just too expenssive to run I think, I will be running the ST-RR next season ( I know old design truck but I got a deal on it).
I would consider the MBX6T the second best handling wise and probably one of the most reliable ones out there and maitenance is very low.
My .02

Metric screw kit ? Too expensive to Run ?

Your blowing front drive shafts and clutch's due to the motor......Newer breed truggy's DO NOT need anything more then a .21 and if you dont clutch it properly it will fail sooner then later.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Your blowing front drive shafts and clutch's due to the motor......Newer breed truggy's DO NOT need anything more then a .21 and if you dont clutch it properly it will fail sooner then later.
I'm not saying it is, but the way you worded that sounds like a total cop out. I agree that newer truggies don't need anything bigger than a .21, but a little bit more power shouldn't cause the drivetrain to fail. Losi knows the class rules and they know people are going to run a .28 and not everyone is going to have their clutch setup perfectly. Engineers allow for things like this in their design. So blaming the motor and clutch just sounds like a very biased excuse when you could see that the problem is in the truck design if you would remove the blindfold. I'm just sayin.

XRAY FTW
Old 12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

whats wrong with the ST-RR ?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

It's too fast; & too durable.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311
I'm not saying it is, but the way you worded that sounds like a total cop out. I agree that newer truggies don't need anything bigger than a .21, but a little bit more power shouldn't cause the drivetrain to fail. Losi knows the class rules and they know people are going to run a .28 and not everyone is going to have their clutch setup perfectly. Engineers allow for things like this in their design. So blaming the motor and clutch just sounds like a very biased excuse when you could see that the problem is in the truck design if you would remove the blindfold. I'm just sayin.

XRAY FTW

Silver(Stiffest) spring on a OS.28 is Improper stall on the clutch no matter What shoe you run.

Front Drive shafts wear on Every car....due to the nature of thing's we tend to run a lighter center diff fluid and that leads to the front tires diffing out which equals greater wear on the front shaft......the losi being at an angle Further increases the wear....Add a Tq monster .28 to that combo and the front shaft's wont last too long...ESPECIALLY if they aren't lubed properly.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Thanks guys for all your input, sounds like to me that the losi is a great truggy but has some issues, the mugen mbx6t has rear diff problems, does anybody know of problems with the rc8t? i think i will hold out for 1 more week for the Rc8t from stormer hobbies....
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Prophet

i would just get the rc8t i seen 2 of them on the track and they look like.
they hang with the best ,and i asked one of the guys about his and he loves. it.he dint tell me, there was any problems so go for it.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Thanks guys for all your input, sounds like to me that the losi is a great truggy but has some issues, the mugen mbx6t has rear diff problems, does anybody know of problems with the rc8t? i think i will hold out for 1 more week for the Rc8t from stormer hobbies....
stick with RC8T just wait the week or two you wont be disappointed. stick to what you wanted first.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
whats wrong with the ST-RR ?
Originally Posted by noR
It's too fast; & too durable.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

...why not just get the one all the others are based on... Kyosho.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickle311

XRAY FTW
When I had my 8T1.0 I was going through ring and pinions every weekend. I tried shimming in multiple ways. It didn't work. When i upgraded from my 5T I considered my old 1.0 problems and seeing the 2.0's diff setup hadn't changed I went with the 6T even though the losi looked superior at the time.

As we speak the only problem i've heard of with the mugen diffs were the leaks that were associated with the 5T. My 6 doesn't leak but I seal them now so there is no chance of that happening.

The RC8T might be your best bet. I've never seen or heard of them having any issue other than maybe being a bit slower than some of the newer trucks.

So where you at now?
RC8T
MBX6T
8T2.0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.