Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
bad glow plug or what? >

bad glow plug or what?

bad glow plug or what?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default bad glow plug or what?

i have a traxxas stampede, it was running great, i took it out today and it starts ok, and idles great with the glow plug igniter on, then when i remove the glow plug igniter the idle gets rougher but it still runs, then if i give it gas it has good pickup, but then dies once the rpms get up, i let the engine warm up and i tried richening the mixture, but get this, if i leave the glow plug igniter on and drive it, then it drives fine, has lots of power and revs up great, if i hold the wheels of the ground and floor it without the glow plug igniter on it revs up but doesnt go to high before it begins to run rough then it just stalls, but if i leave the glow plug igniter on and try that, it runs perfect, i took the glow plug out and hooked it up to the igniter and it burns a nice cherry red,
Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linnix13 View Post
i have a traxxas stampede, it was running great, i took it out today and it starts ok, and idles great with the glow plug igniter on, then when i remove the glow plug igniter the idle gets rougher but it still runs, then if i give it gas it has good pickup, but then dies once the rpms get up, i let the engine warm up and i tried richening the mixture, but get this, if i leave the glow plug igniter on and drive it, then it drives fine, has lots of power and revs up great, if i hold the wheels of the ground and floor it without the glow plug igniter on it revs up but doesnt go to high before it begins to run rough then it just stalls, but if i leave the glow plug igniter on and try that, it runs perfect, i took the glow plug out and hooked it up to the igniter and it burns a nice cherry red,
yeah i would say it is your glow plug if it runs while your ignitor is on it.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

yes sir!!!!glow plug!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

just because the plug lights up with the igniter on doesn't mean it's ok...
Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Change it. I know at 5 bucks a pop it sucks but it is what it is. Any time you think it's a plug it is. And do yourself a favor and don't save them for "just in case" ether.