Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
is it bad to run nitro in cold weather? >

is it bad to run nitro in cold weather?

is it bad to run nitro in cold weather?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default is it bad to run nitro in cold weather?

It's about 40 degrees outside. I have a day off and wanted to run my buggy. But it's cold, pretty cold. Will this be bad for my engine? Ninja jx21 with a ultra hot plug.

i don't want to leave and get cold plugs.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most new engines are ABC, meaning 3 diferent metals and in order to run the engines they need to be at 200F, this is where all the metas have expanded to there operating temps, actualy running an ABC engine below optimal temp is just as bad if not worse than overheating.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

well, i understand what you are saying. But doesnt the fricton keep the engine warm??? I have a heat gun. will pre heat it. but is it to cold outside for the eninge to get up to temp. I will run it at 180, not a problem.

I will get up to 55 in the afternoon.

so nitro can only run in warm weather huh? sucks if you live up north or in canada. You will never get to run nitro
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
well, i understand what you are saying. But doesnt the fricton keep the engine warm??? I have a heat gun. will pre heat it. but is it to cold outside for the eninge to get up to temp. I will run it at 180, not a problem.

so nitro can only run in warm weather huh? sucks if you live up north or in canada. You will never get to run nitro
If you wrap the head halfway up with tin foil or better yet with aluminum tape and leave the top 3-4 fins exposed it will stay hot enough. Temps should be monitored. It can get too hot also.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

my engine ran fine in 40+ weather the other night. it was probably running around 210 or so. if you tuned your engine during a warmer day, make sure you re-tune to compensate for the higher density air.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default It will be fine

If your engine is at 180 it will be absolutely fine, as long as you preheat the engine your good. The damage would come when you don't preheat and the engine is running at a prolonged period at a very low temperature trying to warm up. If the engine can't maintain a close to normal tempeture you could run a sock or sweat band over the cooling head in order to obstruct the cold air from getting to the head and cooling the motor, if you do this just make sure to monitor the temp as it could rise dramatically with much less cooling, but overall just go run it.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

denser air, richer or leaner?

i assume leaner?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

denser air, richer or leaner?

i assume leaner?
Denser air = more air = more fuel = richer
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

if you tuned your engine during a warm day, you would have to richen it up a bit during a much colder day.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

no problem , just be sure to use after run oil . with cold air there is moisture and when you take the engine back inside the air is warmer and the metals will sweat when warmed back up after cooling down . use ARO

richer , keep an eye on engine temps , engine will run verrrryyy good , you should retune as soon if not before you even fire it up and preheat !!!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

yeah, that sumbitch is rippin

i think it runs better then ever. Purrs like a kiten on idle.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thats why up here in canada we run electric lol..... I've seen guys running there stuff at freezing point outside, you just need to make sure its warmed up... its pretty much like two stroke dirtbikes up here also..... you also might need to richen it becasue the cold air will make it leaner... idk if anybody said that but I never had time to read the whole convo....
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by sand viper
Thats why up here in canada we run electric lol..... I've seen guys running there stuff at freezing point outside, you just need to make sure its warmed up... its pretty much like two stroke dirtbikes up here also..... you also might need to richen it becasue the cold air will make it leaner... idk if anybody said that but I never had time to read the whole convo....

nobody races nitro offroad in canada during the spring time and summer
i know it gets warm enough up there.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

You just have to tune it constantly, gets annoying.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Prophet

u mean u have to tune it consently when its spring and summer time i wount think u would have to do that.

or u at winter time up there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.