Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
I agree, I found with this setup if you power through the turns you will have a slight push if you roll you will turn sharp. This past Sunday I ran the whole setup but made some changes due to my driving style.
what changes did you make? how did the changes feel to you? as i might give your changes a try and see what it does!! i am always looking for more... jeremy
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hey guys, no longer running Serpent for now and have a few stock & option parts if anyone is interested

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ion-parts.html
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
what changes did you make? how did the changes feel to you? as i might give your changes a try and see what it does!! i am always looking for more... jeremy
Diff oil 6,5,3 Mugen
2.7 sway Rear
Shock Tower 3rd down from top
Front A-arm shock hole closes Hub
Front link tower middle
Brake: 75% rear 25% front
6con hole 30wt 2 hole 1.3 front / rear 8 con 4 hole 1.3 hole 27.5 rear losi
27 height front 28 rear
2mm more front droop rear same.

Rear traction is very good for loose conditions on and off power excellant
Shock setup limits chassis slapping best setup for me and track to limit. Buggy keeps flat good rebound able to run a tad lower height.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default 811 Newbie

Hey guys i am new to the 811 and have some questions any help would be appreciated. i have ran an MBX6 since January 2009. How does the 811 compare handling wise? What are the high maitenance items, its seems as if the bearings might need a little extra attention based on there size and the abuse of 1/8 racing.

Are there any neccesary upgrade parts, the car that i bought already has an M2C Alu front shock tower and the V2 Radio Tray. And what do you guys reccomend for a starting setup? i have tried to find the kit setup but have had no luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where

Originally Posted by jsp619
Hey guys i am new to the 811 and have some questions any help would be appreciated. i have ran an MBX6 since January 2009. How does the 811 compare handling wise? What are the high maitenance items, its seems as if the bearings might need a little extra attention based on there size and the abuse of 1/8 racing.

Are there any neccesary upgrade parts, the car that i bought already has an M2C Alu front shock tower and the V2 Radio Tray. And what do you guys reccomend for a starting setup? i have tried to find the kit setup but have had no luck.
http://serpent.com/home/

all the setups you will need.. my set up is good. pauls is good. chad phillips setup is good..

811 handles better in my eyes.. with my old buggy i would get beat or just about hold even with the mugens.. now i can just pull away from them.. car is more forgiving to me..

yes keep an eye on the left rear diff bearing.. this seems to be the only 1 that needs more tlc than the others..

get some springs. sway bars. one piece motor mount.. other's will chime in with other things that they have put on but this will get you started.. jeremy
Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default 811

all the setups you will need.. my set up is good. pauls is good. chad phillips setup is good..

811 handles better in my eyes.. with my old buggy i would get beat or just about hold even with the mugens.. now i can just pull away from them.. car is more forgiving to me..

yes keep an eye on the left rear diff bearing.. this seems to be the only 1 that needs more tlc than the others..

get some springs. sway bars. one piece motor mount.. other's will chime in with other things that they have put on but this will get you started.. jeremy[/QUOTE]

Thanks i am looking forward to the new buggy from what i haev read the 811 is way more stable then a Mugen and thats the one thing i have fought for almost three years with that car i just cant get the rear end to plant, How is parts wear on the 811, parts wear is the one reason why i stayed with mugen for so long the damn things are indestructable,
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jsp619

get some springs. sway bars. one piece motor mount.. other's will chime in with other things that they have put on but this will get you started.. jeremy
Thanks i am looking forward to the new buggy from what i haev read the 811 is way more stable then a Mugen and thats the one thing i have fought for almost three years with that car i just cant get the rear end to plant, How is parts wear on the 811, parts wear is the one reason why i stayed with mugen for so long the damn things are indestructable,[/QUOTE]

so far so good for me... serpent has a new hard anodized chassis to help out there.. shock caps if you dont set the droop right.. just make sure you dont let the shock get to full travel.. but all the plastic parts are holding up great.. glad you made the switch.. you will enjoy the car.. jeremy
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Jeremy for you advise i bought a used car to see if i like it and if i do i plan on buying a new kit just so i have all the spares i need. I have to say even with my used car the parts fit and finnish looks excellent i just wish my local track was open they stopped racing last weekend well maybe i can get out for some practice with the car this weekend.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Jeremy, your set says to us no 6 inserts in the front, i cant get these to fit, they are to big, do you use different brackets.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Default set up

my latest one for those of you who want to try it.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy-xrcraceway.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 65ck
Hi Jeremy, your set says to us no 6 inserts in the front, i cant get these to fit, they are to big, do you use different brackets.
Thanks
typo error.. use #0 up front.... jeremy
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

whats the advantage of teh conical shaped pistons over the standard pistons?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Last edited by STUBYSLAP31; 09-30-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STUBYSLAP31
Ok here's a question....

I'm currently looking for a truggy for next season. I'm running the agama a8 and since they don't have a truck I'm looking for something else. I'm just kicking around the idea of switching buggy over to the same manufacture as what ever truggy I decide to go with for ease if the spares I need to carry.

How does the serpent drive in comparison to the rc8b and agama

Any parts issues ( weak arms, diffs exploding, ect

What's the maitnence like ( leaky diffs, leaky shocks, blown bearings)

Do any of the bulldog bodies fit ( what mods are required)

I absolutely love my agama a8 and that's why my decision is so tough. I'm dieing for another buggy/truggy combo and they just don't have one
I had an agama and serpent earlier this year and raced each in a qual on a race day. My qual times were within a second of each other. The agama is a great can but I felt I had to be a little more careful with it. The serpent felt a little easier so I decided to stick with it. Now the truggy is a cometly different story. I have driven a few losi, Mugen, kyosho and the serpent is the best handling I have ever driven. Maintenance is pretty common compared to the other major brands. The linkage is a little tricky to set up but most are and once it's set you leave it alone. I have only found a few mods necessary. I cut the radio box top to make changing the battery easier (learned that with the Durango) and I drilled and tapped the 3 screws that retain the inner pinion bearing to m3x5 button head screws just makes taking them in and out much easier. That's really it the cars just work well. Bearing wear seem avg I just went through the buggy after 1 gallon and no failed bearings but a couple that were dry. As for hop ups I always put them all on but what's necessary is prob an alum front tower (unless you are a pro no crash type driver) alum front and rear braces, hard servo saver spring (truggy), 3 piece engine mount, webbed bladders (make the shocks more consistent), tapered pistons if you like that feel, option 2 Ackerman plate for the buggy if you like a fast steering buggy. I am very happy with the serpet cars and I think they will stay on my bench for a while. For bodies not sure about the buggy but the bitty design looks cool to me, truggy the hb, and losi bodies fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.