Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Avid makes 2 products for Bearing lubrication. "Slip" bearing oil for performance and "Slide" bearing grease for protection.

TE Cobra Kits came in today! Super stoked. I'm going to be wheeling this car for the forseeable future. Build pics and videos coming soon.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeNolasco
Avid makes 2 products for Bearing lubrication. "Slip" bearing oil for performance and "Slide" bearing grease for protection.

TE Cobra Kits came in today! Super stoked. I'm going to be wheeling this car for the forseeable future. Build pics and videos coming soon.

Love the look of your website !!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Guess I'm lazy I rebuild my shocks and diffs after a gallon maybe more pending how the car is feeling anything more to me seems extreme but I'm no pro.
just because your no pro dose not mean oh i can slack.
if your going to just blow your car off atleast rebuild your shocks.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

went to the track today with chicky and tested some things that were not apart of my base nitro buggy set up and for sure the things i try will be not talked about just wow how bad it felt
Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
went to the track today with chicky and tested some things that were not apart of my base nitro buggy set up and for sure the things i try will be not talked about just wow how bad it felt
What track were you guys running on ?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guess I'm lazy I rebuild my shocks and diffs after a gallon maybe more pending how the car is feeling anything more to me seems extreme but I'm no pro.
thats a long time bro.. the car gets funky after about 3 hrs of run time.. you might wanna reconsider your rebuild time to maybe 1/4 to 1/2 gallon..
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jason Pelletier
What track were you guys running on ?
medina rc raceway there a website but i dont have the address.

there doing a track rebuild next week so i hope we can race if so i pm you and let you know i know your itching to get outside to
Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

mine get rebuilt after every weekend.. but i also run sat and sunday... so about 1 gallon each with practice laps.. this wwekend for me is a practice weekend at out local tracks.. glad the weather has been so nice for the guys to get the tracks ready for this year.. looking forward to this coming race season with the serpents.. hope the continued success from indoor season will care over to the outdoor season.. jeremy
Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Pelletier
Love the look of your website !!
Thank you! I'll forward your comments to our web people. Oh wait, that's me! HAHA
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Stupid question and its probably been answered on here, but does the TE 811 come with the V2 diff cases and diff o rings ?

Just about to build my new TE and about to transfer alot of parts across from my old 811, hoping that v2 parts like above are included in new kit so i dont need to move them across.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
just because your no pro dose not mean oh i can slack.
if your going to just blow your car off atleast rebuild your shocks.
Really take good care of my kits replace things as needed shocks before any big race different oils after a gallon and parts are they wear anything else to me is excessive.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really take good care of my kits replace things as needed shocks before any big race different oils after a gallon and parts are they wear anything else to me is excessive.
your diffs are more important then shocks.. the shock boots keep the oil clean... once the diff oil starts to get grey/black.. its time to change
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like everyone does about the same ~3 hours = ~1 gallon of fuel if you get 8-9 minutes a tank for big rebuilds.

For local races I burn 1/2 gallon of fuel per race.

Race 1: Replace all bearings. All Oils. Rebuild diffs. Shocks. I have a Hudy tool for the CVD pins, replace them. I replace the 2.5mm x 13mm pins in the CVD's also.

Race 2: I will at least drain the center diff casually, put new oil in it. Maybe Shock Oil also.

Repeat! to Race 1 rebuild.

Sometimes I will sneak a practice session in after Race 2. If I do this I will normally check the hub bearings since the old style is what I have not the V2 and they like to break. Sometimes even switching the left and right cvd's for a cleaner cvd pin side.

I run 6/6/4 diffs. Center Diff Oil breaks down the quickest, then Front Diff, last is the rear diff. Rear Shock Oil also gets the dirtiest, especially the one behind the exhaust. Keep this in mind when you go longer inbetween rebuilds.

If I'm traveling / staying overnight I always will rebuild.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Alright, but a used Serpent Cobra and tore it down and rebuilt it. Shimmed the diffs according to the manual and the front diff is very tight. I guess I get to tear the front diff back apart to remove one of the shims between the outtdrive and diff case.

Question, as I think this method of shimming the diffs is ludicrous, I am curious to what the options are. I know the bearings are the same size as my Losi, will the losi shims work to be able to shim outside on the bearings?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsmax
Alright, but a used Serpent Cobra and tore it down and rebuilt it. Shimmed the diffs according to the manual and the front diff is very tight. I guess I get to tear the front diff back apart to remove one of the shims between the outtdrive and diff case.

Question, as I think this method of shimming the diffs is ludicrous, I am curious to what the options are. I know the bearings are the same size as my Losi, will the losi shims work to be able to shim outside on the bearings?
yes.. serpent also has the big thin shims for the outside of the bearings.. just make sure you have good teeth contact.. they will start off tight and then free up.. i generally run mine with 3-6 teeth that are notchy.. last a very long time.. jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.