Old 12-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default how to check the off set of wheels

i got a few sets and i need to find out what the off set is any help
Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

half inch...you can stick ur fingure in a little ways, zero offset wont be able to stick ur fingure in...
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

depends on the brand of rims , the aka truggy ( i am assuming you are refering to truggy rims ) rims look like they have 1/2" offset but are 0 offset . the older pro line rims and ofna rims it was easy to tell . post pics or ask a knowledgeable local guy . you would more than likely get an answer
Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lwiseracing
i got a few sets and i need to find out what the off set is any help
Are they Truggy wheels? Most are Zero Offset, or Standard Offset, meaning the wheel has only a very slight recess in the outer dish for the wheel nut. like these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-17mm-Hubs-2

Or, if the outer dish is recessed approximately 1/2 inch (where the wheel nut goes) then they are reffered to as Half Off, or 1/2 off wheels. These wheels will widen the tread width of the vehicle by One inch (1/2 inch per side) The Losi 1.0 Truggy used these as do Ofna truggies i think. Like these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-17mm-Hubs-2

I believe most common truggies, including the Losi 2.0 Truggy, use zero offset wheels.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

It will be pretty obvious once you see the two beside each other, but if you want to measure them, here are some numbers.

Distance from face of hex, where wheel contacts hub, to inside edge of wheel.

Zero offset - approximately 40mm (varied a little on the three different brands of wheels I measured).
1/2" offset - approximately 28mm.

Hope this clears it up for you.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

thanks i need to order some new wheels just got my mb6t done and put the wheels from my crtx1 wow it was wide i got a few sets off the 1/2 off thanks guys
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

yes teh 6t is a zero offset also known as standard offset
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lwiseracing
thanks i need to order some new wheels just got my mb6t done and put the wheels from my crtx1 wow it was wide i got a few sets off the 1/2 off thanks guys
Going to a different offset will affect the scrub radius of your truggy. Ideally, you want the scrub radius close to zero, but not right at zero, or the front wheels will wander side to side as traction changes. Here's an article explaining how scrub radius affects full size cars. http://www.cdxetextbook.com/steersus...rubradius.html

Obviously, you won't be able to "feel" the feedback trough the steering, but you can apply the principles. If you have significant positive of negative scrub radius, as one tire looses traction, the steering will be pulled to one side or the other. There will also be an effect when breaking.

There are certain times where you can use scrub radius as a tuning tool, but for the most part, it's best to stick with the wheel offset that the vehicle designers intended. In your case, that's zero offset.