Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
sketchy handling, suspension? >

sketchy handling, suspension?

sketchy handling, suspension?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Default sketchy handling, suspension?

my traxxas stampede has some sketchy handling on the tarmac, it handles great on the grass and dirt!(although it can catch a lip here and there) but on the tarmac when i gun it, the back starts skipping back and forth, until it escalates and it will then just start violently rolling, i checked and everything is tight, there are no broken or worn parts on the back, maybe the rear shocks are to stiff? what would cause this dog tracking motion?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Its a very top heavy truck, it just not designed for tarmac. You can try heavier shock oil to make the suspension stiffer. That should take some of the roll out, but to heavy and it will traction flip.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by revo61
Its a very top heavy truck, it just not designed for tarmac. You can try heavier shock oil to make the suspension stiffer. That should take some of the roll out, but to heavy and it will traction flip.
i figured it was not for tarmac, so stiff would lessen that effect?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Try stiffer first, then go softer. Problem with soft is it will most likely roll more.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Try stiffer first, then go softer. Problem with soft is it will most likely roll more.
oh ok, my thought was that it was so stiff that the tires would bounce and not soak up any bumps, then they slip, and it flips, when i got the car it had like 5 of
those things on the rear shocks to make it stiffer, so i took a few of, i will try it when i get home, and stiffen it if its needed, but i think your right, its not made for tarmac, its way more fun of road anyways
Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Stiffer springs help alot to.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sicsam
Stiffer springs help alot to.
well i went out and drove it, it worked! softer shocks and its good! no more crazy crashy flips, i did however manage to have the engine bolts break, then the engine went awry and tore up the large drive gear, darn, good thing i always keep a spare in my back pocket(no really i actually do!)