R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Nitro Motor Problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/342944-nitro-motor-problem.html)

kypreo 11-09-2009 12:45 AM

Nitro Motor Problem

Hey Guys i have an issue with my HB Lightning Pro
The motor starts fine..
The Motor Idles fine...
And the car drives fine for about 2 mins then shuts off..
after this happens the car wont start unless i let it cool for about 5 mins?
Any ideas on what is going wrong?
The smoke stream seems nice and steady with not too much smoke!

Please help!!

builtb16a 11-09-2009 12:53 AM

is this motor broken in? or is it fresh?

i suggest going back to factory needle settings, and tune HSN 1st. keep an eye on your temps.

i have a feeling your going lean on the top, and its getting hot and flaming out.

shanty140 11-09-2009 12:56 AM

You may want some more opinions but to me it sounds like your motor may have lost it's pinch and compression. To me it sounds like once your motor get up to temp. The sleeve expands to the point where it looses enough compression to stop running. How much fuel has been run through the engine? If the motor is fairly new what could of happened it the motor wasn't hot enough during break in. If you don't get the motor above 200 during break in the piston will wear pre maturely because the sleeve isn't expanding enough, and the piston will rub hard against the sleeve. And now that you are running at a higher temperature the sleeve is expanding to were it should be, but the piston is worn down so it has no compression.

So what I would do is try and rotate the engine by the flywheel and see how hard it is to turn it over. Also try and see how hard it is to turn it over when it is hot. Rotate the flywheel after shutting it off and see how much pinch it has.

If it has good pinch, put everything back to factory settings on the needles and retune it.

Thats my opinion, but you should wait for some others.

kypreo 11-09-2009 01:06 AM

AWESOME GUYS i will wait for some others, but very fast replys.. the motor is fairly old.. Probly had about 5-6L Through it.. I will check the compression now and update. with the pinch issue.. i think from last time i checked it was fine but i will let you know.
Thanks!

kypreo 11-09-2009 01:14 AM

Yea Pinch seems fine guys...

kypreo 11-09-2009 11:11 PM

Bump

tkhoo 11-09-2009 11:26 PM

try this.....after u start the engine and before it die touch the carb and feel it. If it hot and unable to touch mean your low end too lean and the fuel can't go into the carb and flameout. The carb should touch able what ever how long you run. Let us know what you find.

rider313 11-10-2009 07:37 AM

check the pinch when its warm.. if you didnt already. your symptoms are a worn out piston and sleeve.

htcurt 11-10-2009 08:28 AM

+1
Definately agree. I had to recently get rid of an RB WS9 Engine :cry: as compression seemed o.k when cool but soon as it was at a good operating temp, compression would be gone if testing after shutting down the engine while hot. Mine had used over 11 gallons though and never changed any part of engine, thats just RB/Novarossi living up to its rep though.:D
somebody i know now has the engine and hes put through it at least another gallon & Half.

It really did become a pain in the arse towards the end while racing in championships though, always cutting out half way through a race and never held its tune well at all.

htcurt 11-10-2009 08:34 AM

Do yourself a big favour and just get a Novarossi / RB engine rather than spend money on new parts, You'll only end up spending more on other things like bearings etc. Save your self the hassle and :flaming: Nothing beats RB/Novarossi when it comes to quality/reliability:D

Some awesome performers out there to choose from for good money