R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   SHOCK REBOUND???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/342599-shock-rebound.html)

MadRacer 11-07-2009 06:19 PM

SHOCK REBOUND????

Jusr building my new B/Bore shocks and i always make sure they are as even as possable in rebound.

I set my rebound to at aprox half return on its stroke.

Does anyone know what effects rebound does. Does it make a differance??

I spend a lot of time to match my shocks but this area im a little lost with.

Any good advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Mark....

Kalgard Racing 11-07-2009 08:03 PM

I can tell you that re-bound is becoming a much more widely used set up tool. It can help in so many ways. I have been looking for a good article to paste here, because to explain it all.....I just can't type that much. LOL. Some really smart guys on here and I know they will answer soon.

I use re-bound for traction, steering and all kinds a weight transfer set ups.

MadRacer 11-07-2009 08:11 PM

Thanks.

I know or herd rebound helps to push the spring back to ride height but thats all i herd.

I never seen any articles about rebound.

Look forward to do so.

Thanks again.

smelly62 11-07-2009 09:47 PM

The ability for a shock to absorb the bump as well as keep the tyre in contact with the surface is what will give you better control and traction. Rebound assists with this by enabling the shock to rebound quicker so the tyre is in contact with the surface for a higher percentage of the time.
Shock rebound will therefore be of more use on a rough or irregular surface and under these conditions you would want as much rebound as possible without overly affecting the performance of the shock. On a smooth track you would not need as much rebound but some will still help as there will always be sections of the track that may not be as smooth.

topcat-lll 11-08-2009 08:25 AM

On R/C shocks the rebound rate is the same as the compression rate. Only
real cars and motorcycles have the more complex shocks where the rebound-
rate is less than the compression rate or adjustable.

xBRxSAIGON 11-08-2009 08:41 AM

Re-bound rate is going to affect traction and chassis position upon full compression. I set re-bound for an average ride height throughout the suspension travel. Set spring tension for rate and ride height and use the oil for comp. and re-bound rate.

BeefHead 11-08-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by xBRxSAIGON (Post 6578921)
Re-bound rate is going to affect traction and chassis position upon full compression. I set re-bound for an average ride height throughout the suspension travel. Set spring tension for rate and ride height and use the oil for comp. and re-bound rate.

Keep them losi dialed man!:nod:

tc5 man 11-08-2009 02:15 PM

the only thing i can tell u is that i tried half and full rebound on my eight 1.0b on a smooth track i cant tell a diffrence ,now i also race at a track that is bumpy and rough and half maybe a little less than a half of rebound and its not that bad but i know adding more would help more

tc5 man 11-08-2009 02:25 PM

also setting rebond to be equal on both stocks isnt the the easyiest and takes a lot of time

Zerodefect 11-08-2009 03:49 PM

If your running a real soft suspension on a bumpy track with medium to small jumps, rebound can be handy. Especially in the rear.

In the front it tends to make the car numb, the opposite of what I expected from added front traction. Maybe it makes the compression too stiff as well.

Still I usually only run 25 front and 40 rear. Very little rebound. But if I extend the shock shaft, it shouldn't pull back in at all.

tc5 man 11-08-2009 04:56 PM

25 front and 40 rear dam thats sounds stiff in the rear

Zerodefect 11-08-2009 07:15 PM

Sorry, I mean that if I compress the shock, spring off, the shaft comes back out 40% of its travel.

Not the same as beeding the shock and capping it with the shock 40% out, that would be stiffer.

Actually my shocks are very plush.

rallyebmx 11-08-2009 07:39 PM

Have you ever carefully matched you rebound, then raced for a day and checked the rebound match at the end of the day? Mine hevent stayed consistent. I am wondering if it is just better to build them dead??:confused:

tc5 man 11-08-2009 08:23 PM

they never do inless you do that rc8 shock cap mod drilling two holes on the side of the cap