Wiki Posts
Search

Turbo to Standard Plug.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default Turbo to Standard Plug.

Hi guys, I plan to convert my hyper 21 turbo engine to run standard plug. Can this be done? I do have SH .21 standard plug head button and the diameter on the selvee is same but the high on the head button is diffrent. I managed to find head shim and leave up the high on the standard plug head button as high as turbo plug head button. So, do the engine will run fine? Or it will hard to tune? Please advice and thanks.

Oh ya, why I want to convert, right? Because I still got lot of standard plug in my tool box
Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

just make sure the piston isnt too close to contacting the button. If you are using a button that was not designed for this engine, i could see either a compression loss, or increase, depending on how much volume it takes up compared to the stock turbo button. I had an axial .28rr that i converted to a turbo plug...the opposite of what you are doing and this i what i noticed difference: with the turbo plug, had more bottom end, easier to tune, used a little less fuel and ran cooler. So maybe you could expect the opposite effect. The engine you have may not be as sensitive and its probably a better engine so it may affect it...i say try it...but like i said earlier...measure and make sure the piston doesnt come too close.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Turbo plug head technically has less compression than a standard head button. If you cc both standard and turbo head buttons, you will find, the turbo has more volume.

Lower comp= cooler temps-easier to tune. But the design of the turbo head makes up for this in the way and how much fuel is burnt, hence the low end power increase. I have also found turbo heads are far less prone to flameouts, and detonation/pre-ignition.

From that, timing can be advanced more so than in a standard button, they can also be run leaner, and will continue to make power at a point the standard head would be causing the engine to over heat through detonation.

I convert all the engines I mod to turbo buttons for these reasons. Reliability, fuel consumption, POWAAAH!

The hyper 8 ports I mod, I run turbo buttons, as this usually helps with the lack of low end the 8 ports deliver. Also keep consumption somewhat reasonable.

Cheers
Rhys
Old 11-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just buy the Hyper .21 Standard head button from Nitrohouse. Standard plugs are easier to tune but they dont last as long and they make slightly less power
Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

I should work if you keep the necessary comp. ratio for the engine.. when I tried to make my 28RR to turbo " Using the factory turbo button option" it sucked, wouldn't tune so i went back to std plug now it runs great
Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xBRxSAIGON
I should work if you keep the necessary comp. ratio for the engine.. when I tried to make my 28RR to turbo " Using the factory turbo button option" it sucked, wouldn't tune so i went back to std plug now it runs great
If it was a losi it would be perfect!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

I'm almost crying
Old 11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (99%+)

you better check you head /piston clearance before doing anything once installed so you don't knock a rod out. but other than that you should be ok once you get it shimmed ok. I'd do just as mentioned & buy a std head button for your engine & not try & make one work off of something else. of course it will either run or it won't I guess. I've ran both styles of engines & had better luck with the std button ones my self personally.

LOL I almost fell outta my chair laughing
If it was a losi it would be perfect!
Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LMAO!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Thanks all.