R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   MBX-5R (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/341915-mbx-5r.html)

spierski0313 11-04-2009 09:05 PM

MBX-5R

I recently purchased a used MBX-5R roller. I was wondering what are some the ways that people usually lighten it? I know for starters are the pillow balls. It already has a CRC lightened chassis, and fiber brake discs with the pads removed. What about the Fioroni drive shaft axles? Or the diff out drives? And are the Fioroni 6mm lightened shock towers or the 4mm carbon ones lighter?

Thanks

spierski0313 11-04-2009 09:08 PM

Oh and I also didn't want to go through the massive amounts of pages in the MBX5 thread, and the search didn't provide much info, but what big bore shocks work with the 5r? I have heard Jammin, O'Donnell. do the mbx6 ones work?

BeefHead 11-04-2009 09:18 PM

Dont waste to much money on trying to get weight down.Car is sick with big bores get mbx6 shocks.If and when u upgrade to mbx6 you have extra shocks.

allan42r 11-05-2009 04:16 AM

you can spend alot on hop ups and loose some weight but your not going to loose a pound and the car will not be as good as the new 6. if you dont want to go with the 6 then just get the mugen big bore shocks and the stand offs. look on ebay for a great deal on them.

Davidka 11-05-2009 08:48 AM

Don't even bother with the big bore shocks. I have never seen a MBX6 (including my own) that handled the rough stuff as well as a stock MBX5r. The MBX6's advantage is lightweight and quicker handling. There's not much you can do to a MBX5r to make a meaningful improvement, the car was that good bone stock.

spierski0313 11-05-2009 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 6567720)
Don't even bother with the big bore shocks. I have never seen a MBX6 (including my own) that handled the rough stuff as well as a stock MBX5r. The MBX6's advantage is lightweight and quicker handling. There's not much you can do to a MBX5r to make a meaningful improvement, the car was that good bone stock.

:) Sounds good to me. But one thing I have heard is that you can use the mbx5t diffs to make it accelerate much quicker, is this something I should look into?

casevac 11-05-2009 09:10 AM

:nod:
awesome car!

aaron2u 11-05-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by spierski0313 (Post 6567773)
:) Sounds good to me. But one thing I have heard is that you can use the mbx5t diffs to make it accelerate much quicker, is this something I should look into?

Nope. MBX5 hop like butterfly, sting like bee...

You won't find a more capable car for the money, especially once you put big bores on it. Also, Jammin's big bores work great, too! But I'd still get Mugen's.

Davidka 11-05-2009 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by spierski0313 (Post 6567773)

The stock gearing is fine (13/46t). The real benefit to this mod is that you can use 16-18t clutch bells. With 13 and 14t bells the difference is too great, with 16 and 17 tooth bells the difference to the ratio is smaller making gearing more of a usable tuning option. The pinion and ring gears for the truggy are pretty expensive so in light of what you're probably paying for the chassis it's not really worth it (unless you can get the parts really cheap.

I still vote against the big bores. I don't think they work as well as the stockers on a long throw suspension like the MBX5's have.

BeefHead 11-05-2009 10:41 AM

+1 Car is tough as nails one of the best ever.

matrixmike28 11-05-2009 12:48 PM

I love my 5R so much, I just cant bring myself to get rid of it. In my personal opinion putting on the Mugen big bores did make a noticeable improvement.

allan42r 11-05-2009 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by matrixmike28 (Post 6568515)
I love my 5R so much, I just cant bring myself to get rid of it. In my personal opinion putting on the Mugen big bores did make a noticeable improvement.

it will soak up the bumps better and you can get away with running less droop in the car for higher corner speeds

spierski0313 11-05-2009 02:05 PM

Sounds like I picked a winner. The car has a 48T spur gear on it right now, that would obviously make it accel a little quicker over stock. What clutch bell do you recommend with that spur?

BeefHead 11-05-2009 02:41 PM

13 tooth should be good.