Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hyper 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hyper 7

hi all so i ordered the ofna hyper 7 black was just wanting everybodies opinion on the buggy and the hyper.21 it comes with ? also i am thinking about racing it not competetive i just wanna take it and have some fun just wondering everybodies thoughts thanks all hope to hear from ya !!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I too have a hyper 7 (it's marketed as Hobao here in Aus) and it is my first nitro rc car and i too also have started getting into racing.

A few things about the hyper 7 that I have found good/bad;

- The chasis is wide and there's plenty of space !!! I think this is awesome. All the components are easy to get to (except as i found on the weekend the rear shock on the engine side is a bit hard to get off the shock tower since the engine is in the way when you try to use a hex driver... so either use those ball end hex drivers of use an allen key).
- You will most probably go through a breaking parts stage initially. i broke a few items to start with... maybe it was me not knowing how to drive early on, or just the parts were a bit iffy, but yeah jsut broke a few pins and an arm or two... haven't had any breakages for about 2 months now !!
- Engine is pretty good to start with. Tuning it is a bit of a pain compared to tuning other engines so i've been told... i haven't personally tried to tune anything other than my hyper 21 engine. It helps to go to your local track or a hobby shop and get some help in tuning it to start with, but you'll get the hang of it.
- Clutch it's got carbon clutch shoes. Just run them till you wear them out, then get good aluminium shoes.
- Diffs have grease in them, you may want to clean them out and put diff oil in them before you start racing.
- Shocks are pretty good i thought. In my first race i bent a shock shaft, and have now bought the threaded shocks and have kept the stock shocks as spares
- Servos are pretty good i thought. They are plastic geared so just run them until you break them really. After my car was introduced to a wooden pole at full throttle it stripped the steering servo gears (and a few other parts ). I just bought two metal geared servos and have kept my perfectly fine throttle servo that was on the car as a spare in case i ever need it.
- Radio gear is pretty good. I didn't have any problems with the stock radio. I bought a second hand 2.4ghz radio but i've still got the stock one lying around in case i ever need it.
- It's pretty damn solid !!!!! It's quite surprising how strong the car is.
- If you want to drive in car parks with on road tyres (pretty awesome fun!!) you may want to get a Hyper ST Truggy front bumper. It fits straight on, and the bumper sticks out in front of the wheels so you hit the bumper into bollards rather than the front wheels
- My pull starts one way bearing died after a month or so. I jsut got a starter box.
- As usual read the engine break in thread and the engine tuning thread, and make sure you check screws are tight and such ideally before each time you drive the car.
- Some screws on my car were a bit loose out of box, so i'd suggest when you buy your car buy a good set of hex drivers with it (it comes with allen keys but they round pretty quickly...), and before you do anything with the car check all the screws... don't tighten them like you're HeMan... just make sure they aren't loose.

Overall if you go to your local track you probably won't see too many hyper 7's. This car is pretty outdated for racing, however it's perfect for beginners such as ourselves. My philosophy is i'd rather break a cheap car now, and then when i get a more expensive car I won't break all the expensive carbon fibre and CNC parts due to my lack of experience.

Anyway it was a bit long but that's what i've found with my hyper 7... hope it helps you.

Cheers

Last edited by LordAnubis; 11-01-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Hi.

Good car!

Put 3000 silicone oil in front, 5000 in the middle and 1000 in the rear. With the stock grease your front wheels spins like crazy under acceleration.

Try 400 oil in the front shocks and 350 in the rear.

Mount all shocks in the inside holes on the arms and in the lower outside holes in the towers.

Ride high front 24mm and 26 mm in the rear.

Rebound stop (car stands on two 30 mm blocks without the wheels and measured from the lowest point on the lower arms): Front 20 mm, rear 18 mm. Instead of that you can measure the shock lenght, the front shocks should be 93 mm and the rear 115 mm.

If you are having trouble breaking hard enough, you can bent the two wires from front and rear disk brake approximate 15º toward the engine. Then you will get much more torque from the stock servo. No need buying doubble diskbrakes.

40% brake on the front and 60% in the rear.

Good engine if you take care of it

Cheers