Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Burned up baby!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Burned up baby!

Newp this isnt my truck. But this is yet another reason why I wont be racing electric with lipos.. In my area 1/8th gas has just about dried up but there is a ton of SC and stadium truck action and this pic is somthing that happens quite often around here with just about anything running lipos including 1/8th scales being burned to the ground. I think I'll stick with my Nitro for the smoke action.
Attached Images  

Last edited by The Chad Man; 04-29-2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: forgot pic
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Chad Man
Newp this isnt my truck. But this is yet another reason why I wont be racing electric with lipos.. In my area 1/8th gas has just about dried up but there is a ton of SC and stadium truck action and this pic is somthing that happens quite often around here with just about anything running lipos including 1/8th scales being burned to the ground. I think I'll stick with my Nitro for the smoke action.
Bahahahahahahahahahahaha - Im with cha man
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have always wondered why electric drivers dont yell "fire in the hole" every time they strap in a new lipo battery

of course i also fly rc helis and use a lipo exclusively and have never had a problem, im also not beating the hell out of my airframe though
Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oh yeah I almost forgot, Besides the truck being just about a total loss (tires are good) the fire claimed the tracks transponder!!! ouch! Thats one way to make your electric look like the nitro house ad.

Last edited by The Chad Man; 04-29-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

shoot thats not as bad as my buddys mugen mbx6t with tekno conversion mamba 1/8th scale setup personal transpnder new i beams and a 3s and part of his house were burnt down a few weeks ago all was left was some brittle plastic swollen tires and a chassis that truggy only had a day of racing on it so there went over 1000 dollars including personal transponder! thats why only electrics i mess with are slash 4x4 with lipo but havent had any problems with my venom lipos but my buggys are staying nitro f that!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

man that is not that bad
a buddy we race with burned his whole toy car room up
AKA 1/2 his house with a starter box lipo. that one lipo got
like 5 cars
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

I do have one lipo and its a reciever pack. I do use it but I watch it like a hawk and when not in use it lives outside on the back padio. My wife has seen the carnage that those batts can do and she asked If I had one...Outside it went
Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Umm........ WOW! This is why the only Lipo's I use are the little 3.7v one's for my Blade MSR. Never in my truck's
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.Harper
i have always wondered why electric drivers dont yell "fire in the hole" every time they strap in a new lipo battery

of course i also fly rc helis and use a lipo exclusively and have never had a problem, im also not beating the hell out of my airframe though
lol ...good one
Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I was marshalling a 1/8 Electric race last summer and I heard the loudest sizzling sound behind me. A fellow racer's Hyper 9E burst into the brightes pink flames I've ever seen and the pink smoke looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. He ran off the drivers stand and got the pins off the body( what was left of it) and the flames grew larger. I was scaired too get to close as he tried to blow the flames out... I grabbed the biggest handfull of dirt I could find and trew it all over his buggy. Not only was it a melty mess but a dirty on at that! Never ever will I run electric 1/8th......
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Torian4000
I was marshalling a 1/8 Electric race last summer and I heard the loudest sizzling sound behind me. A fellow racer's Hyper 9E burst into the brightes pink flames I've ever seen and the pink smoke looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. He ran off the drivers stand and got the pins off the body( what was left of it) and the flames grew larger. I was scaired too get to close as he tried to blow the flames out... I grabbed the biggest handfull of dirt I could find and trew it all over his buggy. Not only was it a melty mess but a dirty on at that! Never ever will I run electric 1/8th......
You did the best thing you could do by throwing dirt onto that fire, lipo fires are self oxidizing, they supply their own oxygen when burning. They will continue to burn until the components of the battery that are feeding the fire are consumed.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just like comercial on heart burn..start asking electic guys "you want it burn noe or later"...lol....well i guess turn marshals have to carry fire extinguisher on the track..lol
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Torian4000
who was that ?

Originally Posted by Slider30250
You did the best thing you could do by throwing dirt onto that fire, lipo fires are self oxidizing, they supply their own oxygen when burning. They will continue to burn until the components of the battery that are feeding the fire are consumed.
X2 No way your putting a Lipo fire out with anything But sand or dirt and Lots of it.

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
just like comercial on heart burn..start asking electic guys "you want it burn noe or later"...lol....well i guess turn marshals have to carry fire extinguisher on the track..lol
Fire extinguisher's wont do you any good.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

We have a very nice indoor track here in MI but the Electric guys dont like the nitro so we (whats left of us Nitro guys) have to run a very limmited schedule on the track when the electric guys are not there. Funny thing is those lipos blow up and smoke the whole building worse than the nitro fumes..
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stuff like that is the #1 reason I stayed nitro. I have a 2 year old daughter and with the problems with all the ESC's smoking and Lipo's possibly burning down your car/house, i'll gladly pay a little more for fuel and engine maint. Hopefully it doesn't come to a point of someones family dying in a fire.

As soon as LiFe batts. become more powerfull and have higher mah ratings with more voltage Lipo's will be a thing of the past.

Something scary is just think about all the parents that buy RTR brushless rc's for their kids and have no idea what their kid is playing with and how possibly dangerous it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.