R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   im torn between a couple buggies (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/339089-im-torn-between-couple-buggies.html)

kyhyper7 10-26-2009 10:24 AM

im torn between a couple buggies

hi all i need some advice on my first buggy i have narrowed it down to two or three and was wondering which everyone would recomend . i either want an ofna .21 picco, the ofna ultra mbx comp, and the ofna hyper 7 black however i think i have narrowed it down two the first two because i was told you cant really tune the h7black or should i get the hot bodies kit they have for 289 and start building a comp buggy any advice will be greatly appreciated as i said i want this as my first buggy but i also want one good enough that when im ready to take it to the track when im good enough i dont get totally dominated because i have a lower end buggy thanks all :nod:

Scottmisfits 10-26-2009 10:30 AM

When you're new, it's not really what kit you have. Keeping it between the lanes is more important than how much you spend.

But, you start of with a better kit and it will grow with you a little more. If you plan on becoming a racer, spend a little more money and get the better stuff. You don't need the best of everything though. Spend money on good RC tools, and spend as much as you have to spend to find a radio that's comfortable in YOUR hands. Don't let anyone tell you X radio is better than Y radio. If it's not comfortable to hold, it's a valuable as a warm squishy plastic bag of runny dog crap.

matrixmike28 10-26-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by kyhyper7 (Post 6522063)
hi all i need some advice on my first buggy i have narrowed it down to two or three and was wondering which everyone would recomend . i either want an ofna .21 picco, the ofna ultra mbx comp, and the ofna hyper 7 black however i think i have narrowed it down two the first two because i was told you cant really tune the h7black or should i get the hot bodies kit they have for 289 and start building a comp buggy any advice will be greatly appreciated as i said i want this as my first buggy but i also want one good enough that when im ready to take it to the track when im good enough i dont get totally dominated because i have a lower end buggy thanks all :nod:

I would say if you plan on racing at some point go with the Losi eight 2.0 RTR. It is ready to race right out of the box. It comes with a far better remote and you will find that most hobby shops will have better support and parts for the Losi. There will also be a lot more people at the track who can help you with tuning of the Losi compared to the Ofna buggies.

If you feel comfortable with building a kit and investing the extra money then I would say go with the Hot bodies. DO NOT go with cheap equipment to start because you will find yourself upgrading very quickly anyway. I wish someone would have told me that when I first started. If you decide to go with a kit here are a few options.

Any kit from a top manufacturer: See what is supported by your local hobby shop
Go with a quality race motor: (Reedy, GO, Alpha, and Werks all make quality race mills for $200 or less)
Get top of the line servos: they will last longer feel better and usually have free replacement ( JR, Futaba, or Hitech)
You can get a used 3PK futaba radio with 2.4 already in it cheap on ebay or in the BST here.

Hope this helps and welcome to the hobby!

cluffy1 10-26-2009 03:13 PM

i have both of these buggies and they are both great cars. if you want to race i would suggest getting the HB D8 but if you want a good basher then the Hyper 7. both great cars but remember with any kit car you will always have to spend a bit of time getting the bugs out of the car and spend time getting it to where you want it.

Hope this helps
dane

Miniracer23 10-26-2009 04:03 PM

If you're planning on someday racing, I would go with the D8. It's well priced and easy to build. Also it handles great and is very forgiving. If you're just looking to bash, I would go with a RTR like the Hyper 7. Something tough that you won't have to fix all the time.

fatdaddy 10-26-2009 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Miniracer23 (Post 6523307)
If you're planning on someday racing, I would go with the D8. It's well priced and easy to build. Also it handles great and is very forgiving. If you're just looking to bash, I would go with a RTR like the Hyper 7. Something tough that you won't have to fix all the time.

+1

AssocRacer 10-26-2009 05:16 PM

All depends on what you want to do with it. I've had the hyper 7. I got it just to play around with it first, and then i wanted to get into racing. If i would have asked her, i'm sure people would have told me to stay away from the Hyper 7 if i ever planned on racing. The D8 is a good car for the money, but as people have mentioned, check your LHS for parts support. The cars that your LHS will support the most are probably the Losi, Jammin X1 or X2, and possibly the X-Ray car. If your looking to buy new but on a budget, definately go with the D8. I myself prefer the Associated RC8B, but that's a little higher in price, and you have to buy everything else too. The X-Ray car is awesume, but you pay a major premium for it. What i would do is get the D8 or even possibly find yourself a good used Losi or Jammin buggy and spend your money on a radio first. Whoever said that the radio is the most important thing is right. If your racing in a 20-45 min main and your radio isn't comfortable, it will be a VERY long main and you won't do well.

xxx123 10-26-2009 06:15 PM

u cant go wrong for a new D8, very affordable. Yet make sure your local hobby shop has parts for it...i drove Hyper 7 and now has Hyper 8 (for sale cheaply)..i like both, depends your budget..money buys speed

LordAnubis 10-26-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by matrixmike28 (Post 6522132)
I would say if you plan on racing at some point go with the Losi eight 2.0 RTR....

I agree. I myself bought a hyper 7 as my first rc. What you said about tuning is not really true. The hyper 7 has all the adjustments other cars ive seen have (shocks aren't threaded on the rtr but they come with spacers, you can do all the usual camber toe and such). The one thing thouhg is the hyper21 engine is a bastard to tune. It's not that hard, but if you can tune the hyper 21 you can tune pretty much anything (some come with a mach28 engine so if you cna get that then go for it)... in the end anyway after the hyper21 dies (either due to you not being able to tune properly early on, or just end of run life) you'll jsut get a decent motor like an OS or something anyway so what engine comes with the rtr doesn't really matter.

Initially i wasn't planning on racing... but even while jsut running it in carparks and empty ovals, you still would get rid of a pullstart and get a starter box.

Long story short while the rtr losi is more expensive.... you get everything you need including a starter box and a top of the line radio. You know you want to race and as such there is honestly no going past the losi deal.

smelly62 10-27-2009 01:45 AM

Hi mate, Steve here the one who suggested to turn up your idle on the weekend.
As you know I race Kyosho and I think they are the best but I have to admit at your current level of experience you cant go past a Losi RTR. Bang for buck you cant go wrong. Just change the servo arm on the steering as it WILL strip out.
There is a good writeup in the latest Racing Lines about this RTR setup and I think you will be happy with it.

aussies1129 10-27-2009 01:54 AM

xray 808:nod:

shanty140 10-27-2009 03:01 AM

It all depends how much you have to spend.

If you are new I would recommend the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. For around $650. This is the best value on the market by miles and if you are looking for a competitive racer you wont get a better deal.. Comes with an awesome radio, starter box and almost everything you need to get racing.

If you have more I would recommend a Hot Bodies D8 kit with good but average components. Probably around $1000+-

If you are looking for an awesome setup. My recommendation would be a Mugen MBX6. Losi 8ight 2.0 roller, Xray 808 09 spec, OFNA Jammin X2, Hot Bodies D8, RC8B, etc (Random Order). Good motor like a V-spec, Speed, Niji JX, etc. Good Pipe, Good Radio, Good Servo's and good everything else. Your looking at $1300+-.

These are all in new prices and might be really steep for you. You can probably find a used 8ight 1.0, Jammin X1, RC8, etc for really cheap. If you have more question it would help if you had a price range so we can try and build you the best vehicle for the price. But if you have the money and are just getting into racing, go with the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR without a doubt.

If you are bashing I might recommend something else. Bashing with a starter box can be a pain because its another big thing you have to carry around.