R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Trouble Starting RB S9??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/338929-trouble-starting-rb-s9.html)

bosshog64 10-25-2009 07:45 PM

Trouble Starting RB S9???

Ok so Im new to nitro, have a RB S 9 thats pretty much still in the break in process (its had an idle tank, 2 tanks and cooling process on a breakin table and about 3 tanks on the track) Anyway, I used the heat gun before starting it up today to run gas through it around the house, got it started, ran if for about 5 min or so and when I pulled it in to check the engine temp, it died. Now Im having touble getting the motor to turn over. My wheels are spinning while its on the starter box, but the motor doesnt seem to be crankng...what gives?

This is on a Losi 8T with an ofna 2motor starting box. Thanks for the help guys, it just seems like the flywheel is slipping. I can rotate the flywheel round and round and a buddy of mine was saying it needed to only go up and down, so Im just trying to get it figured out so I can go drive it!

McFly505 10-25-2009 08:14 PM

Pull the plug and see if the piston goes up and down when you turn the flywheel.

If the wheels are spinning, then the clutch is engaged.

Keep it simple and you will be fine.
Pull the motor off the truck, remove the bell and check for stuck shoes.
Then check that the flywheel is tight.
If there are burrs on the shoes, remove them and de-burr with a file.

Let us know what you find.

j_blaze14 10-25-2009 08:17 PM

clutch nut loose... tightened up the shims with the bearings... with the losi clutch nut you have to locktite and tighten it like your life depends on it.

merdith6 10-25-2009 11:49 PM

Hmm

It's hard to say. Not enough info. Like the above said if the wheels are spining it's turning over alright, but who knows. It sounds like the low end needle on the side is too rich. Try turning that needle in in small turns after taking the glowplug out and getting all the fuel out. It may be flooded hydrolocked, or the flywheel is loose too, but you should be careful on the motor during breakin. It takes at least 14 tanks to get faster for the track, really 1 gallon to be fully broken in, but you should be able to lean it up on the top after 18 tanks, but not too much. That is a fast engine so be nice to it, and it will last a long time. Put a new glowplug in it like a mc coy mc-8 medium plug. Check the idle speed, and lean it out just a bit on top too. As it breaks in you need to lean it, then as it's movin faster you may need to open it back up for the higher speeds. good luck, and give some more info. Check your car over really good, and yes use locktite on the clutch nut.

bosshog64 10-26-2009 06:38 AM

Ya I'll have to take a furthe look but I think it's the flywheel coming loose. I've been trying to break the motor in slow, but I did get it a little too hot after the 6th tank or so...it was at 260ish and it kinda scared me, but it was only for a few laps. Hopefully I didn't damage anything and will get tuis figures out asap. Thanks for the info, but I pulled the plug and it wasn't turning over.

xBRxSAIGON 11-01-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by McFly505 (Post 6519683)
Pull the plug and see if the piston goes up and down when you turn the flywheel.

If the wheels are spinning, then the clutch is engaged.

Keep it simple and you will be fine.
Pull the motor off the truck, remove the bell and check for stuck shoes.
Then check that the flywheel is tight.
If there are burrs on the shoes, remove them and de-burr with a file.

Let us know what you find.

Yah, what he said...

revodragon 11-01-2009 06:05 PM

BTW 260 will not kill a RB my RB's have always ran 240 to 260 until they hit the 1 gallon mark and fully break in then they run 230 to almost 250 most of the time

xBRxSAIGON 11-06-2009 04:11 PM

heat gunn....

xBRxSAIGON 11-06-2009 04:12 PM

always a heat gun...:nod::nod: