1/8th Gas vs Electric

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Gas vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Prophet

nitro is really not that expensive at a club level ,u must be thinking of the guys who spend 1000 to 2000 and a lot of them cant drive. it all depends on how u setup your cluch to make it last long the first thing is clean and sand them after a day of racing and have softer springs on the shoes not to soft and they will last and as for glow plugs i havnt had many at all blow on me reguarless if it was rich etc. my point is nitro doesnt have to be expensive
and the fuel residue get some hand cleaner or a rag no big deal. im not that good at electric i just like the little lag the nitro engine has
Old 10-24-2009, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for there opinion. The way it stands right now going to stay with 1/10th (Associated T4) electric with all the cost in getting a lipo and brushless will come out the same. The main thing I was looking for here wich one is faster. Im not sure about 1/8th unless i can find a rtr good one but if not ill just keep my T4 and update that.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For an "off-road track" performance, with the same driver the electric 1/8 car will be faster by design. The electric motors make torque instantly where as a nitro motor has to build some revs before reaching max torque. This is where clutch setup comes in for a nitro vehicle--it's all driver dependent in that aspect.

Also like many people have posted already, the engines, clutches, batteries, motors, settings, etc..etc.. all play a factor in how fast a vehicle is. There are not so good electric motors out there and there are not so good nitro engines. On the flip side there are awesome nitro engines and awesome electric motors.

In the end you can only purchase what your able to spend. You will have stuff fail and you will have stuff that works for years on end. Maintenance, cleaning, preparation will account for more fun than you realize. This keeps your cars in better working condition and they will behave as you want them too.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Elec 1/8 scale sucks.Sorry did i just say that?
I used to think they were rubbish but ive been playing around with Schumacher Cat SX with a Pure Evo 3.0 motor and it packs some immense speed.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
For an "off-road track" performance, with the same driver the electric 1/8 car will be faster by design. The electric motors make torque instantly where as a nitro motor has to build some revs before reaching max torque. This is where clutch setup comes in for a nitro vehicle--it's all driver dependent in that aspect.

Also like many people have posted already, the engines, clutches, batteries, motors, settings, etc..etc.. all play a factor in how fast a vehicle is. There are not so good electric motors out there and there are not so good nitro engines. On the flip side there are awesome nitro engines and awesome electric motors.

In the end you can only purchase what your able to spend. You will have stuff fail and you will have stuff that works for years on end. Maintenance, cleaning, preparation will account for more fun than you realize. This keeps your cars in better working condition and they will behave as you want them too.
well said buddy.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
well said buddy.
You can go stuff your BL hype right up your shoot buddy ! sorry but my nitro's have already whooped all over your BL8B on the dirt......We have more bottom, more mid and way more top...45 MPH vs 55 MPH....... You tell me my modified .21's have too much torque for Buggy, then you turn around and praise the BL for all the torque it has.... If you wanted torque then don't run a OS, run the Picco......... seriously you make no sense to me sometimes..... I am not buying this BL hype, every time I have compared the BL's to my nitros on the dirt my nitros have won !. LOL

Call me when you get up... I am taking the V-Spec back and putting in my nastiest Picco .21 instead, since your after torque now ! LOL !
Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
You can go stuff your BL hype right up your shoot buddy ! sorry but my nitro's have already whooped all over your BL8B on the dirt......We have more bottom, more mid and way more top...45 MPH vs 55 MPH....... You tell me my modified .21's have too much torque for Buggy, then you turn around and praise the BL for all the torque it has.... If you wanted torque then don't run a OS, run the Picco......... seriously you make no sense to me sometimes..... I am not buying this BL hype, every time I have compared the BL's to my nitros on the dirt my nitros have won !. LOL

Call me when you get up... I am taking the V-Spec back and putting in my nastiest Picco .21 instead, since your after torque now ! LOL !

Now that's Funny right there.

FYI to every one else.....Me and Max and Buddy's and this is just shooting the shi*
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra

Now that's Funny right there.

FYI to every one else.....Me and Max and Buddy's and this is just shooting the shi*

LOL ..I knew that would wake you up buddy !
Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo

This was funny!

But seriously, you spent money on different motors for speed and torque? I just bought a bigger $12 pinion to get more speed out of my crappy, useless BL setup!.

It takes as much skill to "tune" and electric motor as it does a nitro motor. Heat is a factor and and enemy to both. Batteries play a lot in to that. They you have to tune the cra for the added weight. Its not as easy and brainless to run BL as you guys think.

When I used to run nitro I had tunning down pretty well. As a matter of fact teh Losi 427 that I pulled form my converted LST2 has not bee tuned since it was broken in and it consistantly runs at 208* no matter the outside temps
Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Prophet

a nova .21 bf has plently of torque even if u gear up the clutch bell
Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Prophet

for a bigger track