Wiki Posts
Search

Mounting tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mounting tyres?

In the past I have only ever purchased pre mounted tyres, With the decision that I will race alot more next season I will be looking at ways of lowering my costs, I also like the look of this rim, JConcepts Rulux 1/8th Buggy Wheel (Yellow) (4) [JCI3303Y] (From amain website) For my car and future paint design.
I have asked a few of the other long term races at my local track and have been advised to get these tyres,
Pro-Line Caliber M2 1/8 Buggy Tires w/Molded Foams (2)[PRO9030-01]
So I will be getting 2 sets in M2 spec and 1 each in XTR and M3, will get 4 sets of rims aswell.
My question is, I have seen on amain site someting called a "tyre mounting band", are these required and if so what are they used for?
Also with an imediate purchase of 4 sets of rims and tyres and the possablilty of requiring more, how much glue will I need to purchase?
And what brand of glue?
I see a few threads with people advising of using acetone or boiling wheels to remove old rubber, I will be doing this if it is feasable.

I did try to include pics of the items but the site advises I have not posted enough to allow URL's

Last edited by boxhead; 10-21-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You dont need mounting bands but they make things easier..They are used like clamps for the tires. They hold the tire close to the rim while the glue dries. Rubber bands work just as well but are a pain in the but to get on and off. IMO its worth the few buck for the mounting bands.

1 bottle of glue ( get Losi, or AKA ) will mount all 4 sets of tires for you. There are various ways to get the tires off the rims, ( do a search)

Important things to remember..Prep your tires and rims before you glue..remove flashing from both with a razor, then lightly sand the tire bead and the rim, and then clean the rim and the tire with alcohol. let the alcohol dry before you glue.

Balance your tires, it makes a world of difference and helps keep all your screws in place. It also makes the tires hold up longer on the rims.

Check em every couple of races and reglue when needed
Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Without wishing to hijack the thread.....how do you go about balancing the wheel? Would you just hang it on a rod, let it turn and remove some material at the heavy edge?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Beddo
Without wishing to hijack the thread.....how do you go about balancing the wheel? Would you just hang it on a rod, let it turn and remove some material at the heavy edge?

Thank you for asking my next question.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does tyre balancing really makes a diffrence
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You can make a tire balancer but its easier to buy one..It makes a huge difference in Truggy, in Buggy not as much, but it has benefits that make it worth it.

Your car will handle better, you will jump straighter, your buggy will not twitch or shift when you make in flight adjustments. It will also put less stress on your wheel bearings and also make your tires and your rims last longer as far as regluing and maintenance. The thread will also wear more evenly. Also when your buggy is one the starter box and you are reving the engine and spinning your tires, when the tires are not balanced it causes allot of vibration which may cause screws to back out depending on how well you threadlocked them

The way you balance is you put it on the balancer, and slowly turn it. when it moves to the bottom you add weight to the other side. I use lead tape. You want to continue this until you can turn the entire tire slowly and it stays where you put it. Here are links to a good enough balancer and the lead tape:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Wheel-Balancer

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...hassis-Ballast
Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

just adding my .02 here.

i used to mount my tires the way jaz wrote, i would sand and clean the tire and rim. now i didnt really have an issue with this method i would have spots in a tire or two after running a set i just glued but it wasnt a big deal to reglue.

i was talking with billy fisher, if you dont know him he is a losi sponsored driver, we were talking about tires. he stated that all he does is take a can of nitrotec and he sprays a rag and wipes the rim and tire and he glues it up, i thought he was full of it to be honest even tho i was looking and multiple sets of tires he glued and they were all perfect.

so i decided to try it, i have glued about 6-8 full sets of tires for buggy and truggy and glue job is perfect. ran states race at srs in az and also nitrocross at the pit also in az. all tires are perfect. this method is all i will use now. its a lot cleaner and takes 1/2 the time. both ways will work you just wanna ask your self, do you wanna take longer and have plastic all over you or glue a set in 1/2 the time and a whole lot cleaner
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
You can make a tire balancer but its easier to buy one..It makes a huge difference in Truggy, in Buggy not as much, but it has benefits that make it worth it.

Your car will handle better, you will jump straighter, your buggy will not twitch or shift when you make in flight adjustments. It will also put less stress on your wheel bearings and also make your tires and your rims last longer as far as regluing and maintenance. The thread will also wear more evenly. Also when your buggy is one the starter box and you are reving the engine and spinning your tires, when the tires are not balanced it causes allot of vibration which may cause screws to back out depending on how well you threadlocked them

The way you balance is you put it on the balancer, and slowly turn it. when it moves to the bottom you add weight to the other side. I use lead tape. You want to continue this until you can turn the entire tire slowly and it stays where you put it. Here are links to a good enough balancer and the lead tape:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Wheel-Balancer

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...hassis-Ballast
+1 especially truggy
Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
+1 especially truggy
+2....I love seeing the n00bies trucks wobble off the pit row from the excessive shaking....Flippin Hilarious.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Jaz240;6507242]You can make a tire balancer but its easier to buy one..It makes a huge difference in Truggy, in Buggy not as much, but it has benefits that make it worth it.

QUOTE]

Thanks for that Jaz, these are now added to my shopping list.
Had to delete the links, would not let me post.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

never used tyre bands i have heard of tire bands.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mach1rustler
never used tyre bands i have heard of tire bands.
Tyre or Tire, depends on which part of the world you live.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi_racer
just adding my .02 here.

i used to mount my tires the way jaz wrote, i would sand and clean the tire and rim. now i didnt really have an issue with this method i would have spots in a tire or two after running a set i just glued but it wasnt a big deal to reglue.

i was talking with billy fisher, if you dont know him he is a losi sponsored driver, we were talking about tires. he stated that all he does is take a can of nitrotec and he sprays a rag and wipes the rim and tire and he glues it up, i thought he was full of it to be honest even tho i was looking and multiple sets of tires he glued and they were all perfect.

so i decided to try it, i have glued about 6-8 full sets of tires for buggy and truggy and glue job is perfect. ran states race at srs in az and also nitrocross at the pit also in az. all tires are perfect. this method is all i will use now. its a lot cleaner and takes 1/2 the time. both ways will work you just wanna ask your self, do you wanna take longer and have plastic all over you or glue a set in 1/2 the time and a whole lot cleaner
This is now added to the shopping list aswell.

Thnaks for the tip.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 271 (100%+)

I would get this balancer over the prop balancer. With the prop balancer you have to buy an extra adapter to use it with the 1/8 scale wheels. In the long run this one is cheaper and I think it gives the wheel a more true roll.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Tire-Balancer
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Michael#81;6508157]I would get this balancer over the prop balancer. With the prop balancer you have to buy an extra adapter to use it with the 1/8 scale wheels. In the long run this one is cheaper and I think it gives the wheel a more true roll.

QUOTE]

Thanks Michael, was going to check if a dedicated 1/8 scale balancer was cheaper, looks liek you saved me the search.
(still no links allowed)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.