Ebay O.S Engine speed II little help..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ebay O.S Engine speed II little help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

The case is the Version 1 speed case. Only difference is the inscribing on the mount tabs, so no biggie there.

The rest of the motor looks spot on. The crank is the black coated crank as it should be, and the restrictor that you have in it is the stock 7mm that comes in the carb, but it should have come with an extra 6.5mm and a 6mm that look exactly the same.

The 6 and 6.5 restrictors are hard to find on line. I know for a fact I haven't seen them on A-Main as I was looking for extra ones.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was just thinking is if possible that the worst case would be that the case in the pictures is a standard VZB case? Looking at everything, the Speed II parts(head, and carb), and obvious other speed parts like the crank and back plate you might think the reason for the case not matching could be that the original case cracked and he replaced it with another. Hopefully he used a speed 1 case atleast. Is there any way to identify which case it is between a standard vzb and the speed 1?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
I was just thinking is if possible that the worst case would be that the case in the pictures is a standard VZB case? Looking at everything, the Speed II parts(head, and carb), and obvious other speed parts like the crank and back plate you might think the reason for the case not matching could be that the original case cracked and he replaced it with another. Hopefully he used a speed 1 case atleast. Is there any way to identify which case it is between a standard vzb and the speed 1?

I have heard of guys cracking v spec cases so that makes sense. I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question stock vzb case to speed case.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

The cases should be exactly the same.

The only difference I can think of is the Speed case has wider cuts on the exhaust port for the wider exhaust port on the top side of the sleeve portion, but that could be on the VZB case as well not to sure as I haven't looked close enough at my VZB.

I can check my VZB case tonight, but that is the only difference I can think of since the VZB doesn't have the wider exhaust port on the sleeve as the speed does.

Also, to make sure it's a Speed II check the con-rod. I'm not to sure of when they changed the version of the con-rod, but the Version 1 con-rod doesn't have a hole drilled in it for lubrication. They could have changed this during the Speed 1 run, but I can't be sure.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

VZB Case $109
Speed Case $114

Not sure what could be such a huge difference since the price points aren't far off. The difference to me is the $5 mark up since they have the case machined with Worlds Edition instead of just blank like the VZB.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

The con rod has thee hole i ckecked it..

My opinion is that he had th al version and he put the worlds II cylinder head.

ohh.. i dont know ..tough luck for me i guess..
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

it will be fine man. I wouldnt care if I got a basically brand new speed for that price.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what you paid for it is not a bad price. But if you ever need any parts, let me know. I am stationed in Japan and can usually walk into one of the LHS's here and just pick the stuff up. They usually have the restrictors in stock as well. So if you need something, let me know. I am willing to help out. Even with the 7mm restrictor, you won't be upset. This motor is a bear.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

There is a seller on ebay who is having the heads drilled on std. v-specs and the first gen. aluminum head speeds. I almost bought one of the speeds thinking I was getting the WC motor until I looked at the fine print. Its not a big deal as it sounds like you received a good deal and the difference between the two speed motors are not that much, mainly cosmetic and some different restrictors.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm thinking that more than likely it was a speed II to start with because the head and the carb. He might have given you speed I inserts though, but the idle screw location would be the telling feature besides the head as well. Those are the parts that are different between the speed I aluminum head and the speed II. Either way, as long as the case is the same other than the etching on the outside, then the motor should be solid.
This is one of those things that make you worry when you purchase on ebay. Hopefully all is well and you are happy with the motor. Good luck.