V-Spec Pro Mod or EBMod JX21???

Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default V-Spec Pro Mod or EBMod JX21???

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Buggy-Engine

or

http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=74

Going in a RC8T. People I race with say to go with the V-Spec Pro Mod. They say it's smoother and easier to tune than a Ninja. I like that the Ninja is modded and broken in for $20 more than the V-Spec. No ceramic rear bearing though...

What do you think...Would the Ninja be better? I race on medium size tracks and I'm looking for good usable power throughout the rev range. I can't decide...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

go with the ebmod jx, it moves a truggy around real good, and gets really good fuel economy, the vspec promod is pretty similar to a speed, i find the ninja to produce more bottom end power, and has similar top end as the speed, the ebmod jx will easily run over 10 mins
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I don't know how flexible that chassis is, but the ninja uses a stronger case. I have heard of people breaking new style v-spec cases. You will probably hear either way. But the pro-mod has the counterweighted and coated crank where as the ninja is just a coated crank. The pro-mod is very smooth wich is more my style of driving. But if you like raw power you can't beat a ninja and that head button EB mod uses makes an awsome difference.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's my exact debate...Smoothness of the v-spec vs. power of the Ninja...I'm a (serious) club racer with an occasional pro-series race in the mix...I would think that the smoothness of the v-spec would benefit me. But I can't turn down raw power! I absoultely HATE breaking in motors so that's why I'm leaning towards the Ninja.

As for the head button, I'd probably eventually get one for the V-spec - so why not start out with one on the Ninja?

So the debate continues - I keep a spreadsheet of parts I need to replace due to breakage/wear and towards the end of the season I add my upgrades for next year...I've switched from V-Spec to Ninja on the sheet probably 20 times.

I plan to run the 2035 pipe which i've read is good on both motors...I really don't want to buy another pipe. Anybody have experience with the 2035 on these motors?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

2035 works good on the ninja, and have run the 2035 in the past on speed and it worked good also, the ninja isnt as smooth but has more useable power
Old 10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

"smoothness" is mostly an issue in buggy.

I would get the JX and if you want/need it smoother buy a Speed crank, but I doubt you will
Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

+1 for a Pro-Mod. Handmatched piston/sleeve to tighter tolerances that the OS factory & speed crank. People are getting 11+ minutes on them.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

crank makes no diff... if anything the JX crank is better... when talking about HP and power curve its like splitting hairs, in my opinion it comes down to durability which the JX deff has over any v-spec.. Go with the JX you wont be disappointed!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

JX21 = stronger case and more durable crankshaft...can't go wrong here. If the power gets to be too much, tame it with carb restrictors.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

I have both of the engines you speak of - and I like the smoothness of the vspec - I have run vpecs in all different varitions for a LONG time. Am no a know it all or claim to be super pro, but I have not had any issues with the case on the new vspecs, the older cases split on the bottom seam but the new ones do not....... I have ran my vspec this year and have 8 gallons on it. For me the engines done, but I can get her pinched and run about another 3 gal or so..... as far as the JX, For me its jut to much power, to much wheel spin. i am crazy hard on the trigger and for me is just a waste.....its a good engine and I know guys that freakin run those bad boys, just not smooth enough for me nad my vspec get 12 mins
Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

the case is alot stronger on the jx, have had my engine come loose a few times and didnt crack or break, i cracked a few vspec cases in the past when they got loose
Old 10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

go with the ebmod ninja. I havent run the eb or pro mod berfore but I can tell you the ninja is a awesome engine. I use to hate breaking in engines as well. But the ninja doesnt require much break in at all. I idle one tank, drive around a little for the next 2 tanks then race tune. Just lean the low speed about a half a turn and it will idle the first tank easily. But I do use a heat gun to pre heat my engines before I start them for like the first 8 tanks or so. Imo the ninja is very close to being a speed but at a much cheaper price
Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjm1126
the case is alot stronger on the jx, have had my engine come loose a few times and didnt crack or break, i cracked a few vspec cases in the past when they got loose
Loctite and lock washers there is no reason for an engine to come loose.

Both engines are great. Personally I like to run OS speeds. They are the smoothesst fastest easiest to drive engine I have owned to date, I do use the EB mods head button and there is a noticeable difference. I have not tried the Ninja but I can tell you it rocks at the track. I just read the description on the OS promod and it sounds like the only difference is the color of the head from that engine to an OS speed engine. Either the OS promod or the Ninja will have more than enough power to move your truggy around. I like OS because they are easy to tune and have always treated me well. But either engine will make you happy when you pull the trigger. If you are trigger happy then the Ninja engine will get you into trouble. Why not get them both and decide for yourself.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hows about the stock JX but also purchase the TKO ceramic bearings for installation after break in?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
Hows about the stock JX but also purchase the TKO ceramic bearings for installation after break in?

Great engine but you will want the eb mods head button and hats 60 bucks so you might as well get the modded version it comes with the head button.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.