R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Who here re-uses rims and foams? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/335124-who-here-re-uses-rims-foams.html)

Semple 10-12-2009 10:02 AM

Who here re-uses rims and foams?

With the new style of re-usable, waterproof foams out now from both AKA and Proline, who is using their rims and especially foams for multiple sets of tires?

What is your procedure for removing foams from the tires and, if you reuse rims, the tires from the rims?

I was thinking... cut along the centerline of the tire, all the way around to get the foam out, and then boil the tire off the rim?

Alan D. 10-12-2009 10:17 AM

I've been re-using aka foam and rims since they came out.

I cut along the center of the tire to remove the foam. Then I bake the wheels at 350* for about 8 minuets to get the tire of the rim.

The bet method to get the tire of the rim is to use acetone. Be sure to remove your foam before dunking the rims in acetone. Usually take a few days for this method to work, as I have been told.

token 10-12-2009 11:04 AM

I do but make sure you get all the glue off and clean really well

Frank L 10-12-2009 11:30 AM

I use new rims and foams every time. I recently did a comparison of a softer losi foam to a firmer AKA foam with the same tires and rims. I found that there was a big difference in handling with the firmer AKA foams. Foams can break down over time and therefore I would see no reason to use an old foam, the performance would not be there. I see the pros reuse foams all the time, it could be because they get their tires in bulk from their sponsors with no foams, IDK. But I can tell you that the firmer foam gave a performance advantage over a softer foam.

imaxx21 10-12-2009 11:32 AM

AKA foams only get better with use from my experience

token 10-12-2009 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by imaxx21 (Post 6463398)

+1 - I know a bunch of people that uses new foam to practice and "break in" - then they will use the used foams and new tires for race day....

Semple 10-12-2009 12:13 PM

I have heard of some of the pros getting B-Team or club race guys to run the foams for them in several sets of tires before they even use them. That is one of the selling features of AKA and the new Proline foams. You can re-use them numerous times.

losi_racer 10-12-2009 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Semple (Post 6463512)
I have heard of some of the pros getting B-Team or club race guys to run the foams for them in several sets of tires before they even use them. That is one of the selling features of AKA and the new Proline foams. You can re-use them numerous times.

idk about the proline foams, mine are really really soft now(3 different sets)

climbaatizept 10-12-2009 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by imaxx21 (Post 6463398)

+ 2 :nod:

fast11970 10-12-2009 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alan D. (Post 6463139)
I've been re-using aka foam and rims since they came out.

I cut along the center of the tire to remove the foam. Then I bake the wheels at 350* for about 8 minuets to get the tire of the rim.

The bet method to get the tire of the rim is to use acetone. Be sure to remove your foam before dunking the rims in acetone. Usually take a few days for this method to work, as I have been told.

I reuse alot of wheels and foams, Yes, cut up the center, point AWAY from the foams, get a one gallon NEW paint can and lid, fill it with Acetone, remove any foams you wanna keep, drop the used rubbers in the cleaning solution..wait a day or so...toss the used rubber (they are yukkie!) look for any weird cracks of other related "stains" if all is sanitary, dremmel the wheels to remove sharp edges and provide a nice sealing surface for the glue, Mount her with the foam and rubber and get your glue on!

It may take a few sets of the same wheels to get four good "mounts" depending on how much you rode your Exes...But 4 good Exes is so much better to mount than one new unknow pack of 4...

If you understand this...I pitty you...:weird:

blade954 10-12-2009 10:02 PM

I reuse rims, I cut away old tire next to the edge where its glued and then using a new paint tin add about a litre of Acetone then place all 4 rims in and tap the lid down with hammer. Next morning old tire pulls off the rim with out hesitation then put rims back in and reseal and shake tin up and do that every now and then and find later that day the rim is all clean and no glue, The rims then see the washing machine in with the Darks and come out the wash like they come out the packet...lol ( just dont let the wife see you dropping the rims in the washing machine :flaming::flaming::flaming:) :nod:

Semple 10-13-2009 06:58 AM

I'm definitely going to try the acetone in a paintcan.

PTP Racing 10-13-2009 07:26 AM

By the time I wear out tires the rims are usually bent but I have saved a bunch of AKA foams that I am just beginning to reuse.

I thought AKA was selling tires only but I heard they stopped. I hope that isnt true. Proline is selling their tires without foams now. I think this is a really good thing. I'm not a tree hugger but its nice to be able to recycle this stuff and save a couple bucks at the same time.

jamiekerr14 10-13-2009 07:36 AM

Yea I have the same view tbh.. I have reused a few rims.. but tbh.. they had seen much better days.. and 2 out of the 3 sets I reused came loose very quickly.. If I do reuse rims.. normally only then use them for practice.. as where I race in the uk.. its very rough.. and a fair few stones.. so they take a big bashing.. so by the time, you have unglues preped them.. most of the time.. there so beaten its not really worth it.. But I would guess on a clay track.. they stay relativly good nick.. and dont have chucks and stuff missing.... But I do reuse my AKA foams.. thats for sure...

Chris-s 10-13-2009 09:12 AM

I'll reuse rims once, maybe twice depending on their condition. Saves quite a bit of money. Cut round the tyre and pop the foam out, then stick them in a pan of boiling water for 20mins and the tyres peel off.

I've now got a stack of used aka foams to use next year.