R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   spur clutch bell noise (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/334685-spur-clutch-bell-noise.html)

inpuressa 10-10-2009 08:29 PM

spur clutch bell noise

built a brand new truggy, but the there is noise metallic noise coming from the clutch bell and spur when I roll it on the ground. Tried to tighten, loosen the mesh, but it makes that sound regardless. No amount of shims for the clutch bell made any difference. The clutch bell spins very smooth. The gears seem ok, with no burrs, or any distortion. It does not make that sound when there is nothing meshed to the spur. Is there something wrong or that is just the way it is?

here's a vid for the sound

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

tc5 man 10-10-2009 08:34 PM

your gear mesh is to tight just adjust it to have a tick of play,or your clutchbell teeth have a burr on it

slayyer 10-10-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by inpuressa (Post 6456783)
built a brand new truggy, but the there is noise metallic noise coming from the clutch bell and spur when I roll it on the ground. Tried to tighten, loosen the mesh, but it makes that sound regardless. No amount of shims for the clutch bell made any difference. The clutch bell spins very smooth. The gears seem ok, with no burrs, or any distortion. It does not make that sound when there is nothing meshed to the spur. Is there something wrong or that is just the way it is?

here's a vid for the sound

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

somethings binding somewhere but i couldnt tell you. maybe someone else can help ya out!:nod:

Euro Stealth 10-10-2009 08:46 PM

Could also be your center dif since that was also in the main focus of the video, hard to tell with a discription, and even the video, but check to make sure your dif mesh is good, and that you are shimmed correctly, and that you even have the right about of oil in the dif.

Also check out the mesh of the clutch bell/spur like stated above!

losi_racer 10-10-2009 08:53 PM

sounds to loose to me

inpuressa 10-10-2009 09:19 PM

I know I can get the mesh perfect. I always get them right on my 64 pitch gears;) Upon closer inspection, it seems that there is a bind whenever a tooth goes over a certain tooth on the clutch bell. It feels like there is a notch or something. But when I look at it, it seems to look perfectly fine. At this point, maybe I'll just run it as is, and hope that whatever it is will wear into shape?

smokinu 10-10-2009 09:21 PM

buy a new clutch bell if that done fix the problem buy a new spur if that dont fix it buy a new truggy. :lol:
looks like a trf801xt too top of the line should have got the mbx6t

Cory Kerber 10-10-2009 09:22 PM

What your describing is exactly what happens in new Berg crawler axles. They seem to bind up at certain spots. Once you run them and break them in, they're fine.

allan42r 10-10-2009 10:00 PM

its your mesh, or tiny baseball cards in the spokes.lol sounds like you have the mesh too tight.

inpuressa 10-10-2009 10:46 PM

its that one particular tooth. like I stated at the op, doesn't matter if the mesh is tight or loose. The driveline has no drag to it, so I guess I'll just run it and hope that the tooth will wear down. The current mesh is so I can rock the spur back and forth 360deg. Pretty much I use to do my 32 pitch gears.

In the meantime, anyone can suggest me a good replacement clutch bell?