R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   JAMMIN .28 con rod orientation (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/334673-jammin-28-con-rod-orientation.html)

alexrckid 10-10-2009 07:38 PM

JAMMIN .28 con rod orientation

does this sound right to anyone with JAMMIN/PICCO experience...???
tore down my JAMMIN .28 after a successful race season. found that the piston's curf cut faces the front(which is always correct) BUT THAT THE OIL HOLE IN THE ROD FACES THE REAR OF THE ENGINE...?? called nitrohouse about this(they are ofna/picco experts). they confirmed that this is correct..i thought that it was wrong from the company. they told me that PICCO does this on some of their engine lines..... ran fine all season and the insides look fine. jus

bigde2001 10-10-2009 07:46 PM

I have tore down alot of motors(500+). I have never had one that the oil hole pointed to the rear. That does not mean they gave you false info.

wingracer 10-10-2009 07:49 PM

Hear is something I posted in the other thread.

There is another way to tell which way the rod goes. If you look closely at the lower rod bushing you will see that it has a rounded chamfer on one side and not on the other. The chamfer must face the crank to match the rounded shoulder where the crank pin meets the face of the crank.

So, if the chamfer is on the same side as the oil hole, Picco put the rod in backwards and nitrohouse is lying to you.

If the chamfer is on the opposite side from the oil hole, I guess they really did build it that way on purpose.

alexrckid 10-10-2009 08:24 PM

well, went ahead and pulled the rear cover off of another(older) JAMMIN .28 that i had laying around(was never apart). found the con rod to be in the "proper" orientation with the con rod oil hole facing the front of the engine(??). strange that there is no apparent wear on either the crank pin or the rod bushing(checked both with a caliper). not out-of-round. either way, considering that i bought the engine from nitrohouse, guessi have to call them back to "re-discuss"..........

bigde2001 10-10-2009 08:35 PM

I believe nitro XXXXX was just trying to avoid a possible customer service issue with a true defective issue. If your motor had been run hard and for long length of time you would notice some lack of oil issues. I am a dealer and I once recieved a Losi GRP tuned .21 that was missing the conrod. It had piston, sleeve, wrist pin, and both circlips. It was only missing rod. It wasnt a return or nothing. Horizon made it right. Point here is sometime people just have brain farts.

alexrckid 10-10-2009 08:46 PM

i hear ya........ran it hard this race season (in an 8T 2.0) with (what appears to be) no (lack of) oiling issues....real strange...........will be calling THEM back next week to "discuss"....

wingracer 10-10-2009 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by alexrckid (Post 6456849)
i hear ya........ran it hard this race season (in an 8T 2.0) with (what appears to be) no (lack of) oiling issues....real strange...........will be calling THEM back next week to "discuss"....

I wouldn't bother. It's time for a new rod anyway. Slap one in it the right way and rock and roll :D