Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Who uses on road engines for off-road racing??? >

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who uses on road engines for off-road racing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

This is a general rule that is accurate for most engine lines...go compare part numbers. (exploded views)

Novarossi does this for sure...

They offer "rally" engines; which are nothing more than on-road engines with buggy heads and a r.s. front bearing.

Pretty much exactly what you need.

Only problem is they're not imported here to the states, so you're probably better off using a "hot" buggy engine (FMS) or just using a mild onroad with a buggy heatsink on it.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmo
Maximo,from your experience,what engine would you suugest to start with.

The strongest top end I get from the RB C6...its absolutely insane on the top end and sounds like a siren blasting down the straight......It has decent bottom, but nothing too extreme, the midrange is explosive and the top end is unreal..... It can be sensitive to tuning tho, but nothing too bad once you get used to it...its also phenomenal on fuel....

My second favorite is the Picco P7R engines...they have more power then the RB, tune a little easier and have very close to the same top end...They sound like a ripsaw going down the straight...not quite as good of mileage as the C6 tho......

I also have to give honorable mention to the Go 7 port..It has a wicked port design that gives me an excelent platform to work from... I have been testing a track mod 7 port this last week and had it ripping about 45000 RPM under load drag racing 5S Brushless Truggy ( 2200 KV, 3.8V cutoff)..believe it or not but the nitro won..Now the scary part is this is only a track mod, I have not yet put my "Frankenstein" timing profile into it ..With a full "Frank" timing profile the engine will be insane
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

Here one of my JPX .21's in a Buggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qi_ImnmgI

The JPX is pretty much identical to the Picco P7R engines....
Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The JPX sounds real good,and I need some good fuel mileage too.
The RB C6 seems more of what I'm looking for,I don't need all the low end torque,just enough to get the car out of the corners without the wheel spin and the C6 sound like the engine I'm looking for.Explosive mid to top end.

What about those true on-road engines like the Novarossi 359/35+21 and the Picco P9R's,or the RB Alpha Xenon's.Would those be good for what I'm running??Will they have enough torque to push the buggy based rally car??
Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timmo
The JPX sounds real good,and I need some good fuel mileage too.
The RB C6 seems more of what I'm looking for,I don't need all the low end torque,just enough to get the car out of the corners without the wheel spin and the C6 sound like the engine I'm looking for.Explosive mid to top end.

What about those true on-road engines like the Novarossi 359/35+21 and the Picco P9R's,or the RB Alpha Xenon's.Would those be good for what I'm running??Will they have enough torque to push the buggy based rally car??
I have never run a onroad in a Buggy, so I am not sure what to say... The modified C6 is timed very close to the onroad but with a few tricks to retain a good low end... It would come out of the corner smooth but by mid track it would lift the nose of the buggy in the air as it would pull so hard, we never did find a track big enough to ever hear the engine stop revving..it seemed to keep on pulling no matter how long you held it........ It also was getting nearly unbelievable mileage as well... Wicked evil motor, but pricey....
Old 10-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Could you give me a link to the actual engine or the full model name of the RB C6,thanks man.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yeah I think the offroad version of the C6 will work really well in a GT car. Never tried it but I think it would do the job.