Wiki Posts
Search

Help buying new 1/8th nitro buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Help buying new 1/8th nitro buggy

Hello people,

I used to race 1/10th electric offroad buggies for 10 years. Now after 5 years I want to start racing 1/8th nitro buggies. What kits do you recommend? Have in mind that I am a good driver and I can take the heat

Thanks in advance for the knowledge you will pass to me.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Hot Bodies D8
Mugen MBX6
Losi 8
AE RC8B
Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Cool

Depends how much $$$ ya wanna spend...I have just got RC8B, nice car
comes down to personal preference, and wot manufactures you like,
good luck with ur decision, and hope ur happy with the one you make...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Read thru all the specific car forums(8t 2.0 8b 2.0 mbx6 mbx6t rc8b(if that one exist) etc. )

see which one you like, all will have problems just remember that. It comes down to driving. most of the newer cars will preform about the same. look into what your hobby shop carries as well. Good luck
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies!!!

I was thinking one of the following:
Hot Bodies D8
Mugen MBX6
Losi 8ight 2.0
AE RC8B

Money is not an issue since I am saving up for this for a long time now

A quick question...is there a ready to run losi 8ight 2.0 and a kit losi 8ight 2.0(no engine no electronics)?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes, the Race Roller has no engine or electronics, but better chassis/towers/etc.
The rtr has stamped chassis/towers/etc and dx3s radio and motor.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

8ight 2.0 RTR also comes with a starter box. The overall package Losi put together is sweet.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

add X-ray to the list any any of them will be fine.

Think about part availability, especially on a race day
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Flip a coin. I picked up the Losi and am very happy with it thus far.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Team Losi 8B 2.0 - Race Roller

Mugen

In my opinion these are the 2 best on the market right now.

If money is not a problem I would build it from the ground

OS Vspec or Ninja JX Engine
Hitech 7950/7940 servos
AMB Transponder
DX3R Radio System
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I recently started running a buggy after running a truggy for 2+ years. I went with the losi 2.0 as I had a 2 p truggy. It turns out that I am vert good at driving the buggy. The 1st race I qualified for the a main and finished 8th he next race I qualified 4th and finished 3rd I suffered 2 flameouts that took 1st away from me. I like driving the losi buggy it suites me well and they share many many parts with the trugg. Bottom line is losi guys will say losi, mugen guys will say mugen, ae guys will say ae etc. They are all good cars. Personally I like my losi it is easy to work on and has great support.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

more than what car suits you the best (although that has to be taken in to account) parts availability has to be high when deciding what brand to choose. you dont want to always have to be ordering your parts because your LHS doesnt carry any of the brand that you bought. keep that in mind as well. i would head out to your local track and see if there are any guys out there that will let you drive theres around for a min so you can feel the differences. most guys will be more than wiling
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by quicklosi
more than what car suits you the best (although that has to be taken in to account) parts availability has to be high when deciding what brand to choose. you dont want to always have to be ordering your parts because your LHS doesnt carry any of the brand that you bought. keep that in mind as well. i would head out to your local track and see if there are any guys out there that will let you drive theres around for a min so you can feel the differences. most guys will be more than wiling
I think that is old school - I order ALL my parts - I hardly ever go to my LHS for parts - They just cost to much and they ever have the parts that I need. like hinge pins and little screws and bearings............... I place an order Sunday night and recieve it by weds no later than thur. No shops here carry Mugen or very limited AE, but there are alot of mugens on the track every weekend.

I dont believe in driving someone elses stuff to make a decision. To many problems.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

You can't count on the hobby shops having any of the parts you need. Forget the buy whats stocked line. Too pricey shopping retail anyway.

Stock your own parts that way you don't miss half your raceday running back and forth to the LHS which only has Traxxas anyway. If I bang my car up beyond normal repairs my raceday is done for that class. Amain gets every part I could ever need to my door before the next race.

Allways need spare clutch , bearings, rod ends, screws, shock bladders, shock shafts, clutch bell, fluids, body, clips, plugs, etc. If you need more than that on raceday, you probally weren't going to win anyway.

You don't need tons of parts if you drive well. Don't settle for a lesser car based on what the hobby shop sells.

Tons of threads on which kit to buy, read them, and go to your track and ask around.

Cut and paste:
So my rankings of best buggies out there, in order:

Xray 808 09 spec-strong, light, extreme high quality, cutting edge tech and features, great steering.

Mugen MBX6- close second, extremely strong, well built, good desighn, much more aggressive than its predesessor, more nimble.

Losi 8 2.0-can do everything as well as the 808, except stay together, wears much faster than the Mugen/Xray. Plastic gets too loose too quickly. Servo tray stinks, eats servos. Losi denies the problem but I hear a Losi guy tearing up a throttle servo every race day.

Hotbodies D8- good price, light on its feet yet very stable, reliable desighn. Can be setup very aggressively without becoming hard to drive. Excellent beginners buggy because of this fact. Heavy.

Kyosho Mp9/ AE RC8b- Both feel the same to me. Kyosho is better built. Rc8's plastic melts as quick as Losi's. Real stable jumpers these two. But not as much "pop" as the Xray/Losi, or as much agility.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Prophet

did somebody say parts availbity for xray not at a hobby store thats for sure lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.