Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Making R/C a family event - my observations, but looking for more ideas! >

Making R/C a family event - my observations, but looking for more ideas!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making R/C a family event - my observations, but looking for more ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Making R/C a family event - my observations, but looking for more ideas!

When I was in HS, I spent a TON of time on RC - I used to race indoor carpet 1/10 and 1/12, outdoor asphalt, and dirt. I LOVED it, and my dad was into it for a little while, but it was pretty much just me. I let the hobby go for a long time (I graduated in 1992, and just now getting back into the hobby).

I am a single dad who has my boys living with me - and I would love to get them into the hobby since it is a lot of good things - learning the mechanics of the vehicles, the proper etiquette and respect for the other drivers, etc, as well as the FUN of dad/son time.

I have an 8 (1.0) and a T-Maxx 3.3, and I am starting to get my older son into the hobby by letting him drive my Maxx when I am using the 8. I don't want to give him my Maxx, because I like to be able to bash about, but getting him his own is something I am reluctant to do until I really know how much he is gonna get into the hobby. So here's what I have been thinking, I would love to hear what others are doing to get their kids involved.

- I got a 1/16 ERevo for him to play around with - small, inexpensive, easy to operate (has a training mode!) and easy to maintain.
- I started letting him drive the Maxx in the back yard - give him the general feel of Nitro/larger vehicles and get used to playing with the vehicle controls feel like.
- I have been buying replacement parts for the Maxx from eBay by buying parts in bulk lots - primarily so that I can get the extra parts for both my spares but also for he and I to sit down and build another truck out of the spare parts. I am almost at the point where I will have enough parts to start the process, and will probably only have to buy an engine and be ready to go.
- Once we have HIS truck built, we canget him up and running - I think he will have a lot more respect for the hobby and the truck too, particularly since HE built it
- I have also been bringing him to the track to see how it works, learn the proper way to marshal, etc.

Since he is more interested in the Maxx, and didn't like my 8ight (good!) I have been teaching my girlfriend's daughter to drive the ERevo. So far, she is really enjoying it!

So! What has anyone else done? What has worked well?

Thanks!

Bob
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I ended up buying a lot of 4 Wind Hobby Ferret 1/16th eBuggies off this site for my 3 year old to play with. Came with 3 complete cars...and a parts car, plus some batteries radios...basically everything needed!

He has a blast running the buggy...and I got the whole lot dirt cheap and have enough parts to recover from 3 MASSIVE destructions. lol He's still learning what to do and mostly drives circles in the front yard....but soon enough I will build a little mini track in the front yard. Since we have 3...Mommy and Daddy can drive the same car as he's driving. Makes it fun for all of us!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

my son 11 drives a RC8B with an OS vpec - this is his first car, everyone told me that it was too much for him but thats what he wanted. He has spent alot of time on the track and getting tips and tuning help from the Local AE pros - you Know ( i like my Losi stuff). be he is doing well, it just take time and practice. but he needs to have all his school work done before he can touch his buggy.
my oldest is 15 and he pits for us, and my wife is the food orginizer hehe