Wiki Posts
Search

Oh crap, did I break it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oh crap, did I break it?

I just went out to get my idle problem fixed and my 8ight 2.0 RTR overheated after a few minutes so I turned the idle down and let it cool. Then I tried starting it later and it revved for a second and then died all of the sudden.

And so I pushed down on the ignitor again but I didnt get a response from the motor and the wheels started to turn. And I can spin the flywheel infinitely with my finger.

What happened? Did I break the engine?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i think your flywheel nut came loose
Old 10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by coviello
i think your flywheel nut came loose
Where might that be? Sorry, Im new to nitro.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by clamber
Where might that be? Sorry, Im new to nitro.
behind the clutch bell. take it off and there will be a big nut in there.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C5Xz...layer_embedded
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Okay I got the engine off and the cooling head off as well. What do I do to get the rest off so I can tighten the nut?
Old 10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

No need to remove the cooling head. You'll need to remove the clutch bell and then the clutch springs/shoes. You'll need a pick or tiny screwdriver to remove the clutch springs. Then remove the shoes and tighten the nut.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

this happend to me when i got my 2.0, i would stop and take it to your lhs because you will need a special tool or you will break the crank like i did
Old 10-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigblockt-maxx
this happend to me when i got my 2.0, i would stop and take it to your lhs because you will need a special tool or you will break the crank like i did
you managed to break the crank?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

That vid is funny as hell! 20 years playing with nitro motors & never once has the flywheel just popped off from light taps like the vid says.They make flywheel removal tools for a reason,never ever hit the fltwheel with anything & dont pry with a screwdriver either,buy or borrow the correct tool.

If your flywheel nut came loose then you might not need the tool but use a new cone if it has, even if its a crapper steele cone instead of a brass one. Since you say your new the cones are not all the same so make sure you got the right one.

Why did you take the cooling head off? Just to see if the cyl is damaged?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Well like he said he's new to nitro...

Probably doesn't realise he didn't need to.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hmmm... just thinking about it... if his fly wheel is spinning freely.. might be hard to get that clutch bell screw off :P

I'm thinking if he has the head off, he may be able to hold the piston at BDC with his thumb gently and then undo the clutch screw. Not sure if this would be a bad thing in anyway? I'm new to nitro too.

For the record clamber,

You need to;
- take the clutch bell off (that small gear thing that sits infront of the fly wheel). Generally you'd just wear gloves, hold the flywheel, and undo the screw on the end of the clutch bell, some people use tools to hold the flywheel but i've never needed to.

- You will see the nut in the middle of the clutch shoes, and if you cna get tools on the nut to tighten then do it, otherwise you'll have to take off the clutch shoes. To remove them it's a matter of flexing the springs on the clutch and just pulling it off the pin. I'd recommend you do it in a bag, and definitely wear safety glasses or something just in case the spring go flying :P

You can buy clutch tools for about 10 bucks which make removing and installing clutch shoes very easy... so you may want to invest in that, and possibly the flywheel puller too... although i agree if your flywheel is spinning then it'll prolly be easy to remove, so you probably won't need the flywheel puller on this occasion.

Again i'm new to this hobby too so i may be wrong, especially about the holding the piston down thign :P
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default WOW

somebody needs to make friends with a fast guy at his local track. You are in way over your head.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

if you overheated the engine and there doesn't turn out to be anything wrong with the clutch...how about replace the glowplug...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by elkman
somebody needs to make friends with a fast guy at his local track. You are in way over your head.
Damn Homer!!! Every single one of us started without knowing a thing! Cut the guy some slack and he will get things figured out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.