Help buying new 1/8th nitro buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help buying new 1/8th nitro buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Prophet

and do support your local shop i know cause my closed down last year it sucks having to drive far to get parts right away, i run the losi eight 1.0 buggy and i like it make sure u get the right tires or the rear will swing out a lot u can drive it somewhat hard if u have a good setup the stock setup isnt good if u ask me i dint like it , it jumps good and it really does pop of the jumps and usally stays level in the air and it light as for the slop it actually seems to handle a better like that but the thing that i hate is the slop in the steering rack is bad so make sure u tighten the bolts in the rack ,i heard the 2.0 bushings and are better .
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Cut and paste:
So my rankings of best buggies out there, in order:

Xray 808 09 spec-strong, light, extreme high quality, cutting edge tech and features, great steering.

Mugen MBX6- close second, extremely strong, well built, good desighn, much more aggressive than its predesessor, more nimble.

Losi 8 2.0-can do everything as well as the 808, except stay together, wears much faster than the Mugen/Xray. Plastic gets too loose too quickly. Servo tray stinks, eats servos. Losi denies the problem but I hear a Losi guy tearing up a throttle servo every race day.

Hotbodies D8- good price, light on its feet yet very stable, reliable desighn. Can be setup very aggressively without becoming hard to drive. Excellent beginners buggy because of this fact. Heavy.

Kyosho Mp9/ AE RC8b- Both feel the same to me. Kyosho is better built. Rc8's plastic melts as quick as Losi's. Real stable jumpers these two. But not as much "pop" as the Xray/Losi, or as much agility.
Thank you all for your input!!! I am concerned about the part where you say Losi 8 2.0 wares out faster. So I am now thinking of the Xray or the Mugen. Unfortunately no one drives any of the two where I live. They look good to me! A strong can is a good car in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Prophet

i would get the mugen if your lucky there might be a hobby store that carrys there parts and its cheaper than the xray and the quality is better but u can order the parts on the web too if they dont carry it. and the xray parts are way to much.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

So the X-ray might be slightly better in its driving than the Mugen but not as strong and "cheap spares" as the Mugen?

I dont think the losi is for me if parts wear out faster...
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Prophet

i imadge that the xray buggy drives better cause of its light weight the parts are good but when u break them u will pay for them thats for sure , the mugen is good and its really that much heavyer than a xray or a losi.the mugen parts are quatity better than losi . well the losi wears out but i been running my diff gears and axles and they seem to be good still granded that i havnt ran a lot cause of the dam rain
Old 10-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was reading some posts in the Mugen (I liked the Athlete back in the day )thread (in the market for a truggy now) and it seems to lack the steering of the Losi vehicles. Is that a true statement? If so, does the X-ray react more like the Losi in the steering department.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaap
Thank you all for your input!!! I am concerned about the part where you say Losi 8 2.0 wares out faster. So I am now thinking of the Xray or the Mugen. Unfortunately no one drives any of the two where I live. They look good to me! A strong can is a good car in my opinion.
Im going to disagree - I run Losi - I broke one A arm and had to replace bearings, they whole year, and my chassis has been through some serious racing. I have not lost a servo or DNFed a race dude to the servo tray or servo. I have been running JR 9100 servos since the Losi came out with there buggy, and just replaced them 2 weeks ago to Hitec HV servos.

Im not knocking any manufactor, but XRAY parts are not the easiest to get.
I love my Losi and it has done me well.

If I had a choice between buggies - Losi would be number one followed by Mugen..........Plus look at ANY race in the USA and look at the entries...... How many of each do you see.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

I find the Xray a little tougher than the Mugen. The Mugen has slightly cheaper parts. There is alot of parts that the two cars have in common. Drive pins, o-rings, clutch shoes/springs.

The Xray and Mugen Handle similarly. The Xray is lighter feeling and has more pop off jumps. Better in bump. Being light helps in the tight stuff. The Mugen is more stable and easier to jump with. The Xray jumps very well, just not as easy.

You can replace the plastic suspension components on the Losi to keep it fresh. So its really not too big of a deal that it wears so fast. I just get annoyed by it though. Losi and AE always have more annoying quirks than Xray/Mugen.

The radio tray is the Losis biggest problem. You just need a stiffener and space your servos up properly.

The Losi's box setup is really fast. Evem the RTR's seem fairly dialed.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by madweazl
I was reading some posts in the Mugen (I liked the Athlete back in the day )thread (in the market for a truggy now) and it seems to lack the steering of the Losi vehicles. Is that a true statement? If so, does the X-ray react more like the Losi in the steering department.

The new Mugen 6 and Xray rotate alot faster than the old school cars. Not as fast as the Losi, but close enough. (most tune some extra stability into the Losi anyway.)
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I used to run losi. I had 1.0 and 2.0. Now I'm runnin xray 808.
Here's my take on the parts after running 6 months of each brand.

Losi: went thru $300 in broken parts and over $100 in spares still in the box.

Xray: $30 for new wings.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jaap

Behold the propaganda:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...9ea0ed364b347f

Damn good stuff as you can see. Lightweight direct shafts, Losi frontend, good shocks, no suspension play, front hub carriers that don't get loose and fall off, etc. etc.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by az00lude
I used to run losi. I had 1.0 and 2.0. Now I'm runnin xray 808.
Here's my take on the parts after running 6 months of each brand.

Losi: went thru $300 in broken parts and over $100 in spares still in the box.

Xray: $30 for new wings.
For my Losi 8Badnd T 2.0 I have spent less that a hundred on actual parts, I needed an Arm $13.99 a real bulk head $10 and shims oh and one set hinge pins - thats it and thats about 25 days of racing not including practice.

Xray are good cars , not indestructible. I have seen a couple this year, they have there problems too....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Like?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Prophet

i was gone to get a xray buggy but i dont understand why they are so picky with which hobby store sells there parts, i only driven losi buggy so im guessing the xray buggy is simlar to the losi in handling wise
Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Prophet

i seen one guy that was running at my track with a xray and it looked good it seem like it rotate better than the losi and i was running right with him too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.