Wiki Posts
Search

Head Shim(vspec promod&jx21)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Head Shim(vspec promod&jx21)

I just picked up the VSPEC ProMod and the Ninja JX21. I run 25% Trinity fuel and wanted to know if i needed to add that extra head shim that the mills come with. I asked a few people around the track. Some say you do and others say it isn't needed. So my question is. Do I need to add that extra head shim or will it be okay with the factory shimming? Thanks!!

-John
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j8ight13
I just picked up the VSPEC ProMod and the Ninja JX21. I run 25% Trinity fuel and wanted to know if i needed to add that extra head shim that the mills come with. I asked a few people around the track. Some say you do and others say it isn't needed. So my question is. Do I need to add that extra head shim or will it be okay with the factory shimming? Thanks!!

-John
its fine. Run it with stock shims. i running 30%
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default shims

no extra shim is needed. if you do add the shim you may get more run time, less power. always a trade off.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the OS engines come stock shimmed for 30%... if you run lower nitro content you would want to remove a shim NOT add one.. stock there should be one .008 silver shim (stuck to button), and one .004 copper.

Last edited by jpalessi; 09-24-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

j8ight13 congrats on your new mills. I know for a fact that your gonna love that ninja at least I love mine. Like we talked about at the track sunday I run my ninjas stock (for now) on 30% and never removed any shims and they scream and never had any problems what so ever. Well what mill is going in what machine? Ninja in the truggy and the OS in the buggy or vise versa. Are you going to be able to get them broke in and ready to race sunday? well good luck and hope to see ya sunday if all goes well. O yea now that you have these hot new mills your going to need a couple of hot new custom painted lids. Let me know maybe I can help ya out with the custom painted lids. I have a couple of new ideas that I have been wanting to paint up
Bob
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 8secnotch
j8ight13 congrats on your new mills. I know for a fact that your gonna love that ninja at least I love mine. Like we talked about at the track sunday I run my ninjas stock (for now) on 30% and never removed any shims and they scream and never had any problems what so ever. Well what mill is going in what machine? Ninja in the truggy and the OS in the buggy or vise versa. Are you going to be able to get them broke in and ready to race sunday? well good luck and hope to see ya sunday if all goes well. O yea now that you have these hot new mills your going to need a couple of hot new custom painted lids. Let me know maybe I can help ya out with the custom painted lids. I have a couple of new ideas that I have been wanting to paint up
Bob
Sounds good Bob. Just wanted to be on the safe side so I wanted to double check and make sure. I'd love some new lids man. Let me know a price for both. I can't wait to see the new ideas you have!

Thanks everyone who replied!!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

My past 2 motors i put in the extra shim that it came with.
1 I found out that for the first gallon motor temps stay consistent. easier break inn.
2 I found out that it still has a ton of power. no body can run me down
3 I found out that the longer i run in close to the 2 gallon mark fuel milage is getting better.
4 I get 10.5 min run time. running truggy
5 Take the shim out after 2 gallons.Its like a brand new motor.

Please try it you will not regeret it.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yep Im sort of the same I'll put a extra head shim in just for run in to help elevate stress in the "machining in" of the engine then i take the shim out, I have done that with all my engines.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

I already started to run my mills, but I was thinking about putting in the shim to be on the safe side. I ended up switching to byrons 25% right before i started running them. Cant hurt it to throw it in after 3/4th of a gallon right? Thanks guys!!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't add the shim with the 25% fuel. Like Joe said above the motor comes shimmed stock for 30% fuel so you do NOT want to add any more shims.