Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
how do you guys clean your cars? >

how do you guys clean your cars?

how do you guys clean your cars?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? how do you guys clean your cars?

hey all, being somewhat of a noob, i was wondering how you guys clean your cars. ive been using a tooth brush and lots of q-tips. i also tried an air conditioner brush (looks like a paintbrush but with reallly stiff plastic bristles to get in the fins of an air conditioner) and that didnt work very well except to remove grass. i thought of trying carb or brake cleaner but i figured that would also remove alot of the greased and oiled parts. but 20 q-tips and about 45 mins with a toothbrush every day is getting annoying ha ha

Last edited by el tater toto; 09-22-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by el tater toto
hey all, being somewhat of a noob, i was wondering how you guys clean your cars. ive been using a tooth brush and lots of q-tips. i also tried an air conditioner brush (looks like a paintbrush but with reallly stiff plastic bristles to get in the fins of an air conditioner) and that didnt work very well except to remove grass. i thought of trying carb or brake cleaner but i figured that would also remove alot of the greased and oiled parts. but 20 q-tips and about 45 mins with a toothbrush every day is getting annoying ha ha
I use a wet rag, a pin (for cleaning out the screws), and a tooth brush. I pull the car apart, typically removing the front and rear bulkheads as an assembly; this usually gives me access to everything so I can inspect for damage and thoroughly clean.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by el tater toto

First off, never clean the car on the wifey's kitchen table Get a clean white towel, one you may use for a pit mat, have just the chassis on the table and I remove the entire rear end assembly of the car, and tear it all down, pop out all the bearing's, driveshafts, shocks and all, then i go to the kitchen sink with a paint brush and Tide detergent, I like that over soap or simple green, less toxic to breath as well, and scrub the fire out of everything on the rear end assembly, use a hand towel to dry and let it sit.

Repeat this for the entire chassis, once all sections and radio tray are off the car, do the chassis, I normally just put some simple green on a brush and dap at the radio tray to get the dust off.

To clean the bearings, I pull off all the races and shoot them with motor cleaner, and apply RED ICE/HOT ICE, just a drop, then put the races back in.

Use a tooth brush to clean the treads on the shock bodies. and just wipew off the shock boots with a damp towel and siple green.

Tghis will take some time, but if your car was a race roller, it will get yourself familiar with the components of the car, and you will show up at the track knowing that you have gone through and inspected everything on the car, and you can race with confidence that your car is very well maintained and your keeping up with worn parts that you may have found through this cleaning process, I do this every week on my chassis, normally the night before the race the next day, when you get up in the morning, there will be your clean racecar ready to go kick some a@s, hope this help's.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
First off, never clean the car on the wifey's kitchen table Get a clean white towel, one you may use for a pit mat, have just the chassis on the table and I remove the entire rear end assembly of the car, and tear it all down, pop out all the bearing's, driveshafts, shocks and all, then i go to the kitchen sink with a paint brush and Tide detergent, I like that over soap or simple green, less toxic to breath as well, and scrub the fire out of everything on the rear end assembly, use a hand towel to dry and let it sit.

Repeat this for the entire chassis, once all sections and radio tray are off the car, do the chassis, I normally just put some simple green on a brush and dap at the radio tray to get the dust off.

To clean the bearings, I pull off all the races and shoot them with motor cleaner, and apply RED ICE/HOT ICE, just a drop, then put the races back in.

Use a tooth brush to clean the treads on the shock bodies. and just wipew off the shock boots with a damp towel and siple green.

Tghis will take some time, but if your car was a race roller, it will get yourself familiar with the components of the car, and you will show up at the track knowing that you have gone through and inspected everything on the car, and you can race with confidence that your car is very well maintained and your keeping up with worn parts that you may have found through this cleaning process, I do this every week on my chassis, normally the night before the race the next day, when you get up in the morning, there will be your clean racecar ready to go kick some a@s, hope this help's.
I'm assuming you're pulling the dust shields off the bearings vice removing the race. I dont touch the bearings unless I feel something nasty in there; seals are best left untouched unless they need maintenance.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I plug pipe and carb. Use air hose to blow off excess dirt. Take off wheels and tires. I use a spray cleaner like simple green and start scubbingwith a brush. I rinse very well and blow off air hose again. I then take hair dryer and dry it well to prevent rust.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Take off the motor/electronics and hose it off with the garden hose. Then coat the entire car in WD40 and let it sit for alittle while, then spray it off with air. It will be clean and almost effortless.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by madweazl
I'm assuming you're pulling the dust shields off the bearings vice removing the race. I dont touch the bearings unless I feel something nasty in there; seals are best left untouched unless they need maintenance.

Yeah the rubber sheild, I pull them everytime i clean, on my Losi with the wheels on it and clutch bell, it free spins for about 10 seconds
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

I pull the motor, pipe, and servo tray out. Spray down with simple green and blow off with compressed air. After its all dry I spray down with pledge and again blow it off with compressed air then wipe it down with a towel. In the end buggy looks like new... The pledge leaves the plastics looking shiney and new and seem to repel dust and dirt better then wd40 imo. Plus it smells good at the end!!! LOL
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks alot for the great info. im digging the wd40/pledge idea, because i drive in mostly gravel terrain and everything gets filthy and the wd40 or pledge looks like it might help alot. the only thing is i have a 1 1/2 gallon compressor, itll take awhile to clean it with compressed air ha ha
Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RickyBobby619
I pull the motor, pipe, and servo tray out. Spray down with simple green and blow off with compressed air. After its all dry I spray down with pledge and again blow it off with compressed air then wipe it down with a towel. In the end buggy looks like new... The pledge leaves the plastics looking shiney and new and seem to repel dust and dirt better then wd40 imo. Plus it smells good at the end!!! LOL
I've seen a few people say they use WD40; holy dust magnet! I'm a big fan of Simple Green but I've never tried the Pledge before, might have to give that a shot. I was really amazed by how nasty some of the vehicles at the track were last weekend.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by madweazl
I was really amazed by how nasty some of the vehicles at the track were last weekend.
personally, i cant stand my car being dirty. more of a chance for failure.

parts or otherwise. plus it makes you and your car look like crap lol
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I take it apart and clean with simple green and water then apply a thin coat of wd40 with a small brush and then wipe it with a paper towel. I just replace bearings instead of cleaning them when they feel gritty.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

After 16yrs nitro experience I have used a lot of cleaning stuff and the best so far is......................................

O'DONNELL BUGGY CLEANER SPARAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I knew something just the same but cheaper in a bigger bottle???
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Addict

I take off the radio tray, engine and fuel tank. Then I spray simple green on at a 50/50 mix and let it sit for maybe 2 minutes and use the pressure washer, using very low pressure. I have a short pistol wand ,and i stay away from bearings. It will clean out screw heads and clean the hell out of little nooks and crannies.Then I use compressed air, spray it down with Amsoil Silicone spray and Tag body spray. I like to wear a disguise when I do this while cursing, my neighbors are convinced I am CRAZY. They never ask to borrow anything!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I use CT18 remove radio tray and engine spray entire car let sit for 10min then hose down with water, Then straight away blow down most of the water with air from the compressor. If sunny then let it sit out side and dry off then totally strip down the buggy and wipe and inspect every part then reassemble and inspect.

Blow dust out of radio box i then plug and listen to servos. bearings almost every 3-4th clean i remove shields and clean and oil ready for next time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.