Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V-Spec Teardown - Carb Insulator Oops?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default V-Spec Teardown - Carb Insulator Oops?

Hi guys,

I am doing a teardown on my v-spec (has about 3.5gallons on it). I am doing the usual stuff, replacing the bearings and rod, having the sleeve pinched, etc.

I took the carb off, but the carb came out without the insulator. Now, I am unable to remove the insulator and unable to put the carb back in place. Anyone have any ideas what I can do? I was thinking about just using an x-acto to cut out the insulator and replace it, but looking for other ideas that may preserve it?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

use a reamer like it was a stripped out screw. screw it in until it gets tight, apply some heat and then very slowly unscrew and it should come loose
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by quicklosi
use a reamer like it was a stripped out screw. screw it in until it gets tight, apply some heat and then very slowly unscrew and it should come loose
Will that preserve the insulator, or should I replace it at that point? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i would replace but as long as you are gentle with it i guess you could reuse it. i got mine from AMAIN and it was only like $4 i think so for that i would replace
Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks.

I ordered a replacement from AMAIN just in case.. it's actually $14, but still relatively cheap. I also got a new O-ring as well. I will probably just replace them both to be on the safe side. When I get my bearings, I will heat up the engine to do the bearing replacement and use that opportunity to try to remove the old insulator [by any means necessary].
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

i have had the insulator stay in the crankcase several times there is a trick to getting them out, just clean the bottom of the carb and the inside of the insulator then put some super glue on the carb and push it back in really fast let it sit for a few minutes then pull it out the insulator will come out with it

Last edited by meakinracer; 09-21-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Man the exact same thing just happened to me. I used Loctite brand 2 part epoxy ,the 5 minute type and glued the new insulator to the carb. I also used a new washer/rubber coated that goes in the very bottom of the intake and sealed backplate,and carb, and a new o-ring, my engine is now being broken in.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just had this happen to me on my speed over the weekend, just took a knife and slowly cut at it, it finally came out after 20 minutes or so.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
Man the exact same thing just happened to me. I used Loctite brand 2 part epoxy ,the 5 minute type and glued the new insulator to the carb. I also used a new washer/rubber coated that goes in the very bottom of the intake and sealed backplate,and carb, and a new o-ring, my engine is now being broken in.
Try a drill bit that is just barely larger and turn it in by hand and it will bite in and then just twist it out.Be mindful of the rubber coated washer under it.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default This works

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
Try a drill bit that is just barely larger and turn it in by hand and it will bite in and then just twist it out.Be mindful of the rubber coated washer under it.
I have done this aswell works great just be careful and take a extra minute. Have fun
Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

I just can't get this damned thing out. I am able to turn it using a drill bit, but I can't pull it out.

Okay about a minute after posting, I was able to get it out. The rant worked.