Wiki Posts
Search

8B 2.0 RTR upgrade-a-palooza...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 8B 2.0 RTR upgrade-a-palooza...

Just posting this because I am a geek that's excited about all the upgrades I just ordered. Can't wait to for them arrive and get them installed.

Ordered upgrades on my 8B RTR:

- Turbo head conversion kit for the 350
- Re11 pipe
- Rear shock springs, green
- Composite clutch shoes and green springs
- Aluminum clutch shoes and gold springs
- Clutch pin set
- 8ight starter box w/Losi 4s lipo

I've already upgraded the steering servo to Ace 1015 and moved the stock servo to throttle. But I will likely be replacing throttle with a Hitec 7940TH soon and going lipo on the rx.

I have my RTR starter box, 2 x 3000mah NiMH and 2 x 1800mah NiCD for sale here for $55 shipped if interested: Starter box sale.

Nerdy of me to post this, I know. But whatever... I'm geek'd.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sound like your going all out. You go man!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Wow. I need to get all that for my RTR 2.0 too. What glow plug do you recommend for the 350? I too am running a Ace 1015 for steering.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hanzo3
Wow. I need to get all that for my RTR 2.0 too. What glow plug do you recommend for the 350? I too am running a Ace 1015 for steering.
Without a turbo conversion I just stuck with the Losi suggested Dynamite DYN2495.

I got the RE11 pipe and turbo head conversion from myatomic.com. The pipe was priced about the same as most places but it had free shipping and the $16.70 turbo head got included in the free shipping-ness so I paid $81.78 for both shipped.

The box and lipo I got here, used for $80.

The rest of the stuff I ordered from thebarnfloor.com for $42 which is probably about the same everywhere... But they do have the best prices for big ticket items. The 8B 2.0 RTR is only $599 there after you put it in your cart.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Wing fyi. The losi 8/8t is a nice box. Be ready to change those motors out tho. Some get lucky and last a year but most lasts like 2 months. I made the switched to a Ofna truggy box and wont go back. I run buggy and truggy and just put a screw on front and back so i can use buggy and truggy with same box. I can switch between the two just as fast as i could with the losi box if not faster. i can get pics if wanted
Old 09-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks like a good list. Something I would look at is the 1.0 truggy servo saver spring. Before I got my 8ight's I heard people breaking bellcranks because the new 2.0 spring was to stiff. So before I even drove my vehicles I changed them out to the 1.0 truggy spring. I haven't broke one bellcrank on both my truggy and buggy.

I jus bought the RE11 pipe also and saw a big improvement over the stock pipe.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:57 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

have you upgraded the shock caps from the plastic ones to aluminium?
that is a must for the RTR

you should also look at getting some upgrade hingepin braces. the RTR ones are very soft
Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TIX
have you upgraded the shock caps from the plastic ones to aluminium?
that is a must for the RTR

you should also look at getting some upgrade hingepin braces. the RTR ones are very soft
I almost forgot about the shock caps. Still waiting for mine to break though. Those will be included in my next purchase, thanks for the reminder.

I still can't beleive how tough this car is.. I face planted it HARD from 10 feet in the air into the second part of a double and thought for sure I had to have broken something. But nope.

Tons of mishaps, rolls, all out wrecks and to date the only thing is a lost wing clip and ring. Don't suppose I can get the plastic ring without buying another wing, eh?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shanty140
Looks like a good list. Something I would look at is the 1.0 truggy servo saver spring. Before I got my 8ight's I heard people breaking bellcranks because the new 2.0 spring was to stiff. So before I even drove my vehicles I changed them out to the 1.0 truggy spring. I haven't broke one bellcrank on both my truggy and buggy.

I jus bought the RE11 pipe also and saw a big improvement over the stock pipe.

I've read that as well about the servo saver. If mine breaks I will get the 1.0 truggy version.

Did you notice your temps going down with the new pipe?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi_racer
Wing fyi. The losi 8/8t is a nice box. Be ready to change those motors out tho. Some get lucky and last a year but most lasts like 2 months. I made the switched to a Ofna truggy box and wont go back. I run buggy and truggy and just put a screw on front and back so i can use buggy and truggy with same box. I can switch between the two just as fast as i could with the losi box if not faster. i can get pics if wanted
I read about this as well. Some are getting the Traxxas 775's (?) to fit in the losi box. I'll have to wait and see how mine does. Have you ever heard of anyone converting a box to a brushless outrunner? Not sure if that would be any better than the current brushed setups or not.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WingWrecker

I still can't beleive how tough this car is..
+1, The only things I've broken are the stock steering servo and the antenna tube. I do suggest getting lots of extra bearings and an extra fastener kit. Every few races I'm finding a missing bolt or screw, and I try to tighten everything down after every heat.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb
+1, The only things I've broken are the stock steering servo and the antenna tube. I do suggest getting lots of extra bearings and an extra fastener kit. Every few races I'm finding a missing bolt or screw, and I try to tighten everything down after every heat.
The stock steering servo doesnt count. That's going to break regardless, unless you move it to throttle right away.

But yeah.. Awesome buggy!