Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
V- speed conversion >

V- speed conversion

V- speed conversion

Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Default V- speed conversion

I am converting my V-spec .21 over to a Speed crank, rod, piston&sleeve. however i was not aware there was a thermo insulator stuck in the engine block.....I did not see it when I disassembled it, I thought it was attached to the carb. Well anyway I heated the case w/ a heat gun to change out the bearings and apparently crazed/overheated/made it brittle, I had a heck of a time getting it out. It's not gonna go back in. I've ordered 2 new ones as well as the rubber coated washer at the bottom of the intake manifold. What is the proper way to remove and install them..... should it have stuck to the carb when I pulled it out. Did I overheat the engine while driving and cause this??? Did I overtighten the pinch bolt???
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

I didn't know vspuds had a temp isolater thingy between the carb and block?? You probally cooked it with the heat gun.

The bearings are simple enough throw the whole block in the oven heat to 350, push the bearings in.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I got the bearings in I watched a video that the Soup Nazi told me about and Benny walked me thru it on the phone. i have learned so much from You, Benny,Grouchy,Soup Nazi, Integra ,AB mods and all of the cool people on here I would have no clue if it wasn't for these smart people and their willingness to help me.Thanks Guys!!! I hope I can bring you some laughter.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Can you post a link to those vids?

Never changed the main bearing, it usually lasts as long as my engine!

oHw much did the Speed rebuild kit run? $$$
Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Its on the carb on my v-spec,a thin clearish inulator glued on I think & mine is cracked, at least part way through.I was gonna get that motor running again here soon. I had forgot about that & glad to hear you can order them seperate. amain?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...or-20K-21C-20L
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Try u-tube .... rc nitro bearing replacement w/ David Mills part 1. I think he owns Boca Bearing and his part 2 shows how to do it w/ a tool. He used a hot plate ... I used my heat gun ......not one for rc but one that is for stripping paint.... I used a temp gun and got it up to about 245 because it wuold cool down quickly and I was compensating for the time delay.It went very smooth.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by butch man
Its on the carb on my v-spec,a thin clearish inulator glued on I think & mine is cracked, at least part way through.I was gonna get that motor running again here soon. I had forgot about that & glad to hear you can order them seperate. amain?
I ordered mine thru HobbyTown..... Should be here Tomorrow.... Imaxx posted A-main has them and they gave a link (cool) 13.49 (ouch). Should mine have stayed attached to the carb when I pulled the carb out???? or did it stick in the block from heat or overtightening???? BTW Love my upgrade graphics!!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

it should stay attached the carb wen pulling it out of the case but sometimes they do stay in the block. i usually just use a small reamer to pull it out
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Man!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Should I use adhesive on the new one ??? Or was mine over heated by lean condition or possibly overtightening the pinch bolt?????
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i would not use any adhesives unless you are talking about your engine sealant around the actual neck of the carb then the insulator over that. i would not use anything else tho. the same thing happened to me on my speed, and what it looked like had happened to me was that the pinch bolt got over tightened and then just a tad bit out of round thus not allowing it to pull out smoothly. have not had a problem with the new one doing it so that was my conclusion.
good luck