Wiki Posts
Search

best way to set end points

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default best way to set end points

the way i have been doing it is, i will have the enpoints set in a general area. I then turn the car off. I turn the tires with my hand to the left (or right) where they stop snugly (without forcing it). Then grab my transmitter and turn my wheel all the way to the left (or right). Then i will turn the car on. If it turns more to the left i know my endpoints are to far. if it goes short i now i can get a tic or two more. And i always set it a couple of points below just to be safe.

does that sound like a good way to do it? No problems here. Just curious, since i have never asked (until now)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Prophet

never though of that one as long as u dont have the steering binding or force the servo more than it wants to i guess i would be fine without stripping the gears
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

I just listen for my 7955 to stop talking. If its screaming I'm waay off.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Get in a very quiet area with no distractions, set your car up on a starter box so that the front wheels can turn lock to lock. while using the radio and powered up ..slowly turn to the right all the way and listen for the servo to make a straining noise as it reaches full travel, while holding it locked as far as it will turn start backing it off with your end point adjustment until you can see the tire begin to move the least little bit towards center, do this several times and you will get a feel for the exact p[oint that the servo stops complaining without giving up any steering. Then do the other side . Be sure to sight the wheel against something so you can detect the slightest movement towards center.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanx.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

agree with joey, but after that is done:

I prefer both sides have the exact same amount of steering so,

I put the car on the ground with tires, not running but turned on

using the transmitter turn wheels full left and push the car slow for a half circle marking your start and end points on the ground (where outside front tire touchs the ground)

then put the car on the left of circle you just marked and repeat turning the car right

adjust the end point of the smaller circle to match the side with the larger circle so they are even

now your car will be consistent!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL

using the transmitter turn wheels full left and push the car slow for a half circle marking your start and end points on the ground (where outside front tire touchs the ground)

then put the car on the left of circle you just marked and repeat turning the car right

adjust the end point of the smaller circle to match the side with the larger circle so they are even

This is the way I do it as well; though I try to get the larger circle to match the tighter circle (if possible).
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dreaux
the way i have been doing it is, i will have the enpoints set in a general area. I then turn the car off. I turn the tires with my hand to the left (or right) where they stop snugly (without forcing it). Then grab my transmitter and turn my wheel all the way to the left (or right). Then i will turn the car on. If it turns more to the left i know my endpoints are to far. if it goes short i now i can get a tic or two more. And i always set it a couple of points below just to be safe.

does that sound like a good way to do it? No problems here. Just curious, since i have never asked (until now)
How do you set end point with the car off. when the car is off and you turn the wheels with your hand, I dont think you can get a feel of if it set properly because there is no power. if the servo has no power you can turn it by hand it full cycle. I would say you need the power on to set the EPA correctly.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by madweazl
This is the way I do it as well; though I try to get the larger circle to match the tighter circle (if possible).
well, assuming in step one, set left and right endpoints individually, you set them correct, you should not be able to make the large circle smaller as that side was already as far as it could go...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

+1
Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

x2
Old 09-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

One thing that way too often gets overlooked is making sure your tie rods are the same exact length. If not you will not have the same amount of steering both ways. Once you get them the same length and if you need more toe out/in, adjust a little to both sides don't just adjust one rod and then trim it back to be centered. Also make sure to set EPAs with the car at ride height sitting on it's wheels Not on the box at full droop because most of the time it will be different. Hope that helps.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Prophet

i understand what u saying about that i tried to get the turnbuckles the same legeth but everytime i tried to do that the toe out or in whould be off i dont have a setup board so its alleyes,i had somebody adjust the epa throw and got it even on both sides,one thing too mybe people dont noice is when u make the dual rate higher or lower the throw gets off sightly
Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Prophet

my rods are a little off
Old 09-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bell
One thing that way too often gets overlooked is making sure your tie rods are the same exact length. If not you will not have the same amount of steering both ways. Once you get them the same length and if you need more toe out/in, adjust a little to both sides don't just adjust one rod and then trim it back to be centered. Also make sure to set EPAs with the car at ride height sitting on it's wheels Not on the box at full droop because most of the time it will be different. Hope that helps.
Steering rods the same length is importantv but getting the server horn square to the steering linkage is more important.