Wiki Posts
Search

thermal insulator on carb sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default thermal insulator on carb sleeve

I have a small crack in my insulator on my ninja. I took the carb out my vspec and it is pretty bad around the pinch bolt. I mean like 5 times worse. Thing is, my vspec had 0 air leaks and ran fine till the bearings and rod went out. So how bad does the insulator have to be before it's no good?

Or i should ask. Do any of you run a engine with a bad insulator and had success
Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
I have a small crack in my insulator on my ninja. I took the carb out my vspec and it is pretty bad around the pinch bolt. I mean like 5 times worse. Thing is, my vspec had 0 air leaks and ran fine till the bearings and rod went out. So how bad does the insulator have to be before it's no good?

Or i should ask. Do any of you run a engine with a bad insulator and had success
just replace it.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by losi_racer
just replace it.
you can replace just the insulator?

One more question. My front bearing is shot. It is gritty with dirt. Pretty sure none got past the seal though. To get it out, i know to put it in the oven. But what temp, and what is the procedure?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

It's not bad. I could still use it if i seal it right? The front bearing is the problem though. Not the carb.

damn O.S.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

jut send it to Burton and he will fix the whole thing for you if its repairable. Really good guy and very fast service highly recommended!!!!! check out his thread "speed shop" on these forums!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

That sounds cool. but i have a good bearing in another engine and i just want to switch so i can run on the track tomorrow. Unless he can come to my house in baton rouge

kidding. But can i just use a heat gun to pull the bearing out? how hot does it have to get? Do i just push it out when it is hot?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

check out these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzEco3EDUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSoXPLGzOI
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
That sounds cool. but i have a good bearing in another engine and i just want to switch so i can run on the track tomorrow. Unless he can come to my house in baton rouge

kidding. But can i just use a heat gun to pull the bearing out? how hot does it have to get? Do i just push it out when it is hot?
put it in the toaster oven for 10 mins on 250*.. then with gloves take it out and tap the bearing out from the inside with a nut driver.. i would not recommend using a used bearing.. they usually get hammered around pretty bad when getting pulled,,, especially the rear.

Also yes you can replace just the insulator.. the one time i had to do it, i used a small amount of 2 part JB weld here is the part number for the insulator.
JX05011 JX Carburetor Bushing 21

Last edited by jpalessi; 09-04-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In this video it does not tell you but on most .21 car motors make sure your piston is all the way up at TDC before you pull off the back plate or you will break your piston!!!!!and like Joe said get a new bearing
Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jpalessi
put it in the toaster oven for 10 mins on 250*.. then with gloves take it out and tap the bearing out from the inside with a nut driver.. i would not recommend using a used bearing.. they usually get hammered around pretty bad when getting pulled,,, especially the rear.

Also yes you can replace just the insulator.. the one time i had to do it, i used a small amount of 2 part JB weld here is the part number for the insulator.
JX05011 JX Carburetor Bushing 21

well i am ordering tko's, but i want something for tomorrow. I have 2 choices. I have a vspec with a bad rear bearing and a good front one. I have the ninja case with a bad from but good rear. So i can either take the good rear one out and put it in the vspec case or take the good front one out the vspec and put it in the ninja.

and on the video i saw, he heated up the crankcase with a blow torch and took the crankcase and thumped it agaist a piece of wood and it droped right out. THe front one hower he had to use a dowel and hammer.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Some motors drop the front bearing too with just a slight tap to get it moving. Two different blocks of the same model & brand motor can also do this.I dont remember how the front in my v-spec came out so no help there but do remember the old GRP ninja was not fun but my buddys GRP ninja just fell out like the rear with a very light tap. If your not gonna run without 2 good bearings & you have to remove the bearing in the os ninja anyway I guess you'll find out how it comes out tonight.I would however use the oven so the whole block gets heated & use the crank to make sure the rear bearing is still seated before cooling.I have wanted a bearing tool but never got around to buying my own & oven has always worked perfectly.Make sure you brake clean the crap out of the block first or the wife will be pissed.BTW I go 350 for 10 min after the oven has pre heated.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

why would she be pissed? And won't brake cleaner dry out the bearings?

The oil stinks doesn't it?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

I dont think the oil actually stinks but the smoke it fills your house up with does for sure & will stink for a couple days,much like forgetting your baking tires off the rim. Dont matter if a little brake cleaner cleanes out bearings,you should oil them after installing them during eng re-assembly.