Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Another Losi 8ight T 2.0 Thread :) >

Another Losi 8ight T 2.0 Thread :)

Another Losi 8ight T 2.0 Thread :)

Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Another Losi 8ight T 2.0 Thread :)

Okay, so I have the money in hand and am waiting to pull the trigger. I'm not wanting to hear that mugen or any other brands are better, just a general overview of the Losi. I'm wanting something fast, reliable, and not fragile as glass. I've heard a ton of good things about the RTR kit, and just want to hear from guys that drive them if its a good buy. I've been told you can't go wrong with either Mugen or Losi, but i'm very fond of the 8ight T 2.0. Will I be happy with the buy? Is the remote that comes with it pretty nice? I really just need a friendly nudge before I drop that much money on one. Also, to those who purchased it, where can I find the kit cheapest online? I'm not too familiar with vendors yet...so i'd like to get the kit at the lowest price possible but from a very reputable dealer
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bennny
Okay, so I have the money in hand and am waiting to pull the trigger. I'm not wanting to hear that mugen or any other brands are better, just a general overview of the Losi. I'm wanting something fast, reliable, and not fragile as glass. I've heard a ton of good things about the RTR kit, and just want to hear from guys that drive them if its a good buy. I've been told you can't go wrong with either Mugen or Losi, but i'm very fond of the 8ight T 2.0. Will I be happy with the buy? Is the remote that comes with it pretty nice? I really just need a friendly nudge before I drop that much money on one. Also, to those who purchased it, where can I find the kit cheapest online? I'm not too familiar with vendors yet...so i'd like to get the kit at the lowest price possible but from a very reputable dealer

are you wanting a kit or RTR ? there's quite the difference and i would much rather see you spend the $$ on race gear as apposed to going the RTR route and eventually having to buy the Race gear in the long run.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Integra
are you wanting a kit or RTR ? there's quite the difference and i would much rather see you spend the $$ on race gear as apposed to going the RTR route and eventually having to buy the Race gear in the long run.
I was wanting the RTR version. It's going to be my first truggy, and so i'm not wanting to go tooo in depth with things. I thought the RTR would be a good kit to start off with, then mod things as needed in the future
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Benny it is a very good truck to begin your racing career with. The motor is a good rtr motor, it comes with a starter box (the only rtr on the market), and the dx3s is more than an entry level radio. With that being said drop the cash and have fun, you can nit pick anything to death if you try. I know a few running the rtr buggy and having good succrss with it. Contact Alan Burton either at [email protected] or through his Spee shop thread here on rc tech and he can hook you up. He gets a great price plus you can ship the truck directly to his shop, he will go through the truck and set everything just like it should be, and even break in the motor if you choose for him to. So that when you open the box you ae ready to let er rip.
Good luck and tell him schmidty sent you his way. He is a team losi driver and really knoes his stuff about the losi products. He has many many many satisfied customers local and nationwide

Thanks
Jason
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have had the 2.0 roller since it came out in march and I love it. I would definatly go with the roller. You will be replacing equipment on the rtr very soon if you race it. Racing is very hard on the gear and you need descent equipment if you Wang to finish the race. It is very frustrating to dnf due to equipment failure. You will wNt to replace the rtr servos before you finish one lap. The tuned flex chassis is far superior and makes the truck easier to drive over the rtr chassis and if you want the ultimate then the bce aftermarket chassis is the hot ticket. The rtr will het you started and the radio is descent but I'm just saying you will be dropping sme extra cash on upgrades very soon. I'm not saying you have to break the bank with the new jr high volt servos but some descent hitec $60-90 servos are a must. The rtr engine will get you around but it will suck gas and lack the punch of a race engine. If you even think you will do some upgrades tuen don't wast your money on the rtr. If you think you will be happy then fo for the rtr it is a solid platform and capable of getting it done. I know how I am I upgrade anything and everythng I can. It just depends on what you are after. The losi rtr is a great start.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Prophet

if you are gone to change that engine soon i would remmond a novabf.21 i drove somebodys losi eightt 1.0 and it runs awsome with that engine i seems to run better than having it on a 1/8 buggy if u asked me
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by shady3031
Benny it is a very good truck to begin your racing career with. The motor is a good rtr motor, it comes with a starter box (the only rtr on the market), and the dx3s is more than an entry level radio. With that being said drop the cash and have fun, you can nit pick anything to death if you try. I know a few running the rtr buggy and having good succrss with it. Contact Alan Burton either at [email protected] or through his Spee shop thread here on rc tech and he can hook you up. He gets a great price plus you can ship the truck directly to his shop, he will go through the truck and set everything just like it should be, and even break in the motor if you choose for him to. So that when you open the box you ae ready to let er rip.
Good luck and tell him schmidty sent you his way. He is a team losi driver and really knoes his stuff about the losi products. He has many many many satisfied customers local and nationwide

Thanks
Jason
I'll look into it, I think i'm capable of breaking in the motor and everything though. I'd like to do that myself, that way I can learn and get the hang of things. I appreciate the info

Originally Posted by Frank L
I have had the 2.0 roller since it came out in march and I love it. I would definatly go with the roller. You will be replacing equipment on the rtr very soon if you race it. Racing is very hard on the gear and you need descent equipment if you Wang to finish the race. It is very frustrating to dnf due to equipment failure. You will wNt to replace the rtr servos before you finish one lap. The tuned flex chassis is far superior and makes the truck easier to drive over the rtr chassis and if you want the ultimate then the bce aftermarket chassis is the hot ticket. The rtr will het you started and the radio is descent but I'm just saying you will be dropping sme extra cash on upgrades very soon. I'm not saying you have to break the bank with the new jr high volt servos but some descent hitec $60-90 servos are a must. The rtr engine will get you around but it will suck gas and lack the punch of a race engine. If you even think you will do some upgrades tuen don't wast your money on the rtr. If you think you will be happy then fo for the rtr it is a solid platform and capable of getting it done. I know how I am I upgrade anything and everythng I can. It just depends on what you are after. The losi rtr is a great start.
I don't mind if the servos aren't as fast as they can be, and if the motor isn't as fast as some other race motors. I'm by no means a novice, and I'll have fun just going out and racing. I'm not looking to nail first place with this truck or anything, just go out and have fun. I'll look into replacing those parts way later, but for now as long as the RTR engine is powerful and everything else holds up i'm going to go with the RTR. I could build the truck from the ground up, but i'm thinking this will give me a good baseline of knowledge and allow me to kind of hit the ground running. I'm sure theres a faster motor for it, and better servos, but theres always going to be something better Basically, i'm wanting to race it, and have fun. Not compete to try and get points, or win first place all the time. Based on that I was curious if this RTR was the right one for me.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

You might want to take the servo advice a little more seriously. One of our guys in SA had his throttle servo dump and the motor ran off and melted. He got everything replaced for free but he lost a weekend of racing waiting for it. The stock servo's are a weak link. Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recently purchased a RTR losi 8ight, and have been having a great time with it. I have not raced rc ever but i am planning on starting, and so far this has been a great purchase. Like someone mentioned the throttle servo can melt but i was told it it quite simple to just replace that part with a metal one. The only thing that sucks it you need to get a charger and an adapter for the receiver pack to charge it. I was all ready to get mine fired up and realized i couldn't charge my receiver pack, oh well.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bennny
I was wanting the RTR version. It's going to be my first truggy, and so i'm not wanting to go tooo in depth with things. I thought the RTR would be a good kit to start off with, then mod things as needed in the future
If your just getting started rtr is your best option. Yes its not as good as the roller but you get a starter box, a good radio. and crappy servo(youll be buying servos if you get the roller or rtr fyi, stock rtr servos wont last long)

The 8t 2.0 is a great truck. I rarely brake stuff, im not the best driver but i usually only crash 2 times a maybe if that a race. My dad on the other hand puts his losi thru hell. Hes driven mine before. hes been racing the 8t 1.0 since sept. but just got the 2.0 for his bday. Its a very durable truck. You can go wrong with losi or mugen, the big difference since your new is you WILL need replacement parts right away with the mugen, losi youll need parts to just because your new but i wouldnt be suprised if its weeks down the road before you break something on it
Old 09-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

its no that the servo's are slow, but very weak.you will lose the throttle servo pretty quickly.

other than that its a good deal. i have heard mixed feelings about the losi starter box, but i dont know first hand,i use a big ole ofna chrome top,that thing could turn over a 350 chevy motor!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

Based on your description of what you you're expecting to get out of the truck for now, I'd vote the RTR definitely. You'd still want to go over the whole truck very thoroughly checking for tightness of screws, making certain there's loctite where it's supposed to be, checking whether screws aren't stripped in plastic parts and so on. I wouldn't just rip it out of the box, charge the battery and go run it. My opinion on it is that very little problems can and normally do lead to failure of much more expensive equipment. You get your linkage and servo end points set up right, you just might get surprised how long a stock servo might last. Are stockers weak? Absolutely. Are they inadvertently going to fail within days? I don't think so. Anyhow, RTR package is great, good truck, good engine, good radio, decent starter box. It has its shortcomings but you won't regret it.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The RTR cant be beat for the price. I love fast servos so that would be my first upgrade. You can be competitive racing this kit at your local tracks.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys, I think i'm going to order it today.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Go with the ready to run. We have a guy at our track that has the rtr 2.0 buggy and truggy and he is one of the fastest guys every week. YOU lose a little bit in guality but for the $$ and what you get you can not beat it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.