R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Old to R/C New to Nitro (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/324016-old-r-c-new-nitro.html)

rcpenguin 08-31-2009 06:14 PM

Old to R/C New to Nitro

I use to run electric R/C's in the past it has been a few years and now that I seem to have sometime on my hands I am think about getting back into it. I do know I was getting bored with the electric versions and was thinking about going to nitro I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for a good nitro starter. I was looking at the Traxxas Nitro Sport, anybody know anything there. Thank for any help.

Madbrad 08-31-2009 06:15 PM

What do you plan on doing with it? Racing, bashing ?

Racing - Hyper 7 black
Bash - just about any traxxas will do. There all pretty good and easy to use.

rcpenguin 08-31-2009 06:34 PM

Thanks yeah at first just bashing, getting use to again where I live there is not much in the race available but going to be moving soon to somewhere that has a track.

Madbrad 08-31-2009 07:44 PM

I would suggest a REvo, good ground clearance easy to start with the traxxas system, everyone has one so support is easy to get. LHS live off traxxas parts so you can get stuff that breaks the same day. If you should happen to trash the motor learning to tune, you can get another on off ebay for about a $100 so its not the end of the world.

builtb16a 09-01-2009 03:02 AM

if your bashing. start with your LHS. go see what they have the most parts for. every RTR kit you find, you'll be buying parts.

its the high dollar losi/mugen/xray that are built better, but they cost 3 times as much.

if you don't buy your truck at the LHS, make sure they atleast support the parts for it.. so your not waiting 7 days between breakdowns on mail order.

The Working Man 09-01-2009 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by builtb16a (Post 6285452)
if your bashing. start with your LHS. go see what they have the most parts for. every RTR kit you find, you'll be buying parts.

its the high dollar losi/mugen/xray that are built better, but they cost 3 times as much.

if you don't buy your truck at the LHS, make sure they atleast support the parts for it.. so your not waiting 7 days between breakdowns on mail order.

The only thing I ask is try to get a 4wd instead of 2wd. And suport your local hobby shop, but remember, they gota' make a buck.

elkman 09-01-2009 05:17 AM

Slayer?

If he wants a 4wd and will be bashing exclusively that might be a good fit.He will be able to haul some serious ass if he wants. Short course trucks seem to be a good fit for newbies. The 3.3 is a pretty forgiving motor. I believe there is quite a bit of RPM after-market stuff to do breakage replacementOnce you get it broken in the right way they will hold a tune pretty good. Just be sure to keep your LHS in the loop. You may spend a few bucks more buying from them but you will have the gratitude from the hobby shop owner and possibly better support. Its like buying a life-sized car from your local small town dealer and getting service done where you bought it. They are going to be more likely to help you out more than if you bought it at a big-city dealership to save a few thousand but when it comes to getting service done the local small town dealer will not go out of their way to help you (I used to work at a small town Chevy dealership, I know the scenario) Good luck and welcome to Nitro. I recommend using Byrons fuel. You can't go wrong with it!

rcpenguin 09-10-2009 03:40 PM

Hey guys thanks for the help in the input. It is real helpful. I went to my LHS and they told me the JATO 3.3 is a good one. Anyone know anything about it. A little shy about buying it considering the box says level 5, but is that just because of the amount of speed. I did like the look of it and the fact that the LHS has tons of parts for it. And they told me I could get out of the for around 520 with truck, battery/charger (for EZ Start), and fuel. Again guys the input has been amazing and helpful. Also looked into the Revo as suggested,and that might be the one I go with also, maybe 2nd truck.

madweazl 09-10-2009 03:57 PM

JATO is probably going to be a handful; big engine in a little car and only 2 wheel drive. Probably be a blast once you get use to it but it will be a wild ride initially.

If you think you'll start racing in the near future you may want to look into some options. There are some good RTR 1/8 scale cars out there for ~$500 as well (i.e. RC8 and Jammin X2 RTR kits).

rcpenguin 09-24-2009 08:51 AM

Hey Guy thanks for all of your input. I went down to the LHS last night and was talking to the guy again, and this time there was another customer in there with a situation like mine, and we three got to talking. Well after a while I was convinced and based on everything I got off of here, research, etc... I went with the JATO 3.3 now I just got it last night so I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I will later today and I will let you know how it goes. Again guys thanks for all of the Input. Can't wait to break the engine in and get started.

token 09-24-2009 09:29 AM

LST 2