Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
GRP untuned .21 >

GRP untuned .21

GRP untuned .21

Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default GRP untuned .21

I just picked up a untuned GRP for a great price NIB. Well I ran Nitrotane fuel and now ended up with a bad engine bearing. I was actually told not to use this fuel because it does this.

After I fix the bearing I wanted to know if i can run 20% with the current head shim? I know they come ready to run 30%, but the track I race on is small and you don't really need all that extra power running 30%. Any help would be great thanks!!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by j8ight13
I just picked up a untuned GRP for a great price NIB. Well I ran Nitrotane fuel and now ended up with a bad engine bearing. I was actually told not to use this fuel because it does this.

After I fix the bearing I wanted to know if i can run 20% with the current head shim? I know they come ready to run 30%, but the track I race on is small and you don't really need all that extra power running 30%. Any help would be great thanks!!
The person who told you that Nitrotane eats bearings... ignore their advice from now on. You ended up with a bad bearing from something else, perhaps a defect.

If it's ready to run for 30% nitro, then it has an extra shim in it (or one thicker one). You don't need that extra shim for 20%, but it won't hurt anything.

I keep the extra shim in my engines and all I use is 20%. From what I've read here, a little extra shimming extends engine life at the expense of a little power loss. Maybe someone else will chime in and confirm that, though.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Front or rear bearing? This is not common. What makes you feel the bearing is bad?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigde2001
Front or rear bearing? This is not common. What makes you feel the bearing is bad?
Yeah I know it's not common. Ive never had any bearing problems before. I figured the bearing went after i started the engine and warmed it up for a race on sunday. Well I couldn't really hear the exhaust it was mostly this loud sheering(sp) sound coming right from the crankcase. At first I thought it's just the flywheel and clutch bell rubbing together or something in that matter . Nope, it was the rear bearing. I took both the front and rear out last night. I actually picked up a front and rear replacement just in case this happened.

I just started it up this morning after the rebuild and it runs great. No more sheering(sp) or anything. Im running a few tanks in "break-in" settings for the new fuel. I went with Trinity 25%. Ive never had any issues with it.

I really wanted to use the Nitrotane. I was actually just about to switch over my V-spec until that happened with my GRP. I don't know if it was the fuel or not, but anyone who got the fuel from the shop has blown one of their bearings. Its been about 5-6 guys now with the same issue.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by j8ight13
I really wanted to use the Nitrotane. I was actually just about to switch over my V-spec until that happened with my GRP. I don't know if it was the fuel or not, but anyone who got the fuel from the shop has blown one of their bearings. Its been about 5-6 guys now with the same issue.
My bad, I didn't consider a bad batch problem.

A similar thing happened with Sidewinder fuel. There was a bad batch that affected quite a few people, but it wasn't a bearing problem.

I don't remember if it damaged engines. I do know that people bought new engines because they assumed their engines were shot. It took a while before it was traced down to a bad batch of fuel.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Had same problem with sidewinder. bad fuel
Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

What happened with the sidewinder fuel?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I brought some of that nitrotane. I heard about eating bearings. I ran 1 tank of it through my truggy and got the call not to use it. Now I use it to burn ants arounds the house. I know the 6-7 guys who had to change there bearings due to this fuel.