Wiki Posts
Search

Using a IR Temp Gun

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Using a IR Temp Gun

I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question but please bear with me.

I am trying to find the most accurate way to use a IR temp gun. I usually just do a cross of the top of engine while standing above when its on the bench or something and take the highest reading.

When looking from above you have the heat sinks, then hole in centre for glow plug, then another 4 holes around it (dont know what for), using temp gun in one of these holes the temp spikes quite rapidly to the rest of the engine.

Should I be using this spot to test for temps or just use the highest reading from around the hole in the glow plug area?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Works best at top of head pointed straight at the glow plug. Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default IR's

Check out the pics, these were taken with a IR dig. camera extremely accurate, there's alsot of guys that have different opinions on how to use the IR's, who's is more accurate, etc. I won't go there, theres alot of do's and don'ts when not using a one like the Exergen, this one is made to focus at a specific point, other IR guns that have the laser pointer these usually have the actual IR sensor 1/4 to 1/2 in above the sensor. so becarefull at what your actually reading

Last edited by akiyama77; 01-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't use a temp gun because it seems like the less costly ones vary so often. The more expensive models are good but out of my price range. I usually use my hand and can tell if it's running between 200 and 250 which is where i want it. Now if it's 300 or more then i'll see plenty of signs of overheating such as running rough, melting my skin, etc,etc.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by akiyama77
Check out the pics, these were taken with a IR dig. camera extremely accurate, there's alsot of guys that have different opinions on how to use the IR's, who's is more accurate, etc. I won't go there, theres alot of do's and don'ts when not using a one like the Exergen, this one is made to focus at a specific point, other IR guns that have the laser pointer these usually have the actual IR sensor 1/4 to 1/2 in above the sensor. so becarefull at what your actually reading
Thanks, the photos kinda tell me that the four smaller holes around the glow plug hole also get quite hot, still cant work out why one of those holes are showing a temp allot higher than the rest of that area.

I am paranoid of running mine too hot and constantly monitor the temps which is why I want to know if I should tanke that area into consideration.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It's good that your paranoid of running your engine to hot. However just remember that all your checking temp for is to make sure you are not over 300. If you have a good smoke trail through the entire rpm range. Your engine is fine some engines run hotter than others. Some engines actually run at 270 where as others run at 220. Engines are as different as fingerprints no 2 are the same. If you have good smoke, power and are under 300 you are fine. Stop wasting time constantly checking your engines temp. Pay more attention to you engines PERFORMANCE.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vladconnery
It's good that your paranoid of running your engine to hot. However just remember that all your checking temp for is to make sure you are not over 300. If you have a good smoke trail through the entire rpm range. Your engine is fine some engines run hotter than others. Some engines actually run at 270 where as others run at 220. Engines are as different as fingerprints no 2 are the same. If you have good smoke, power and are under 300 you are fine. Stop wasting time constantly checking your engines temp. Pay more attention to you engines PERFORMANCE.
Thanks but this paranoia is hard to overcome. Weirldy enough it wasnt this bad before I hooked up my telemetry with the DX3S!

My buggy always makes plenty of smoke and even though im a novice the engine sounds happy, not lean, idles nice and starts first pull once primed.

Should it still produce smoke top end? Like around the 22-25 thou RPM range? While accelerating my buggy produced lots of smoke but top end while there is smoke it drops off a fair bit, prolly because its moving allot faster.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

More than likely it's producing good smoke just moving faster.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Temps

I used to be tuning by temps but theres to many variables that change, temp humidity, track surface, engine load, all of these and more. Its good to keep an eye on it, but like the others were saying if you have smoke trail, and make good power, your good, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the telemetry stuff, I'd personally question the accuracy of most of them. I work at a Calibration lab, and theres alot of ways companys can make a statement that miss leads poeple. Go with the smoke and the way the motor feels.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys this has taken allot off, havent been enjoying it as much becuase of the temps racking my brain why is it getting so hot when everything feels and sounds good!

Time to have some fun with it I think. Ill keep an eye out for the smoke at top end.