Wiki Posts
Search

losi 8ight setup basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default losi 8ight setup basic questions

I never took the time to setup my losi bugy and i forgot some terminology. please help!!!

looking at Adam Drake basic setup

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...rake8ight2.pdf

1) which part is the caster?

2) can someone send me linky to 54 and 56 piston

3) what's the difference between these two silver springs

http://www.impaktrc.com/advanced_sea...spring&x=0&y=0

4) what's bump steer?

5) what does the notes mean?
"Adjustable pivots with 0 inserts."
"55 piston with all six holes drilled out with a #54 bit." => im assuming this is part of question 2).
"Adjustable pivots with 1's up in the front and 0's in the back."

6) How do you adjust the rear toe-in on the losi?

7) what's 3 degree's anti squat?

I think that's it....

thx
=teeforb

Last edited by teeforb; 08-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't own a Losi (I run Associated) but I can try to help with the terminology and setup definitions you're looking for.

1. Caster is the angle of your kingpins or steering blocks when viewed from the side of your car or truck. Stock in this case is zero caster - when the kingpins or steering blocks are perpendicular to the ground.

2. 54, 56

3. Spring rate explained: http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/spring-rate.html. As for how it affects handling on the Losi between the 2 choices I'll leave that to someone who runs a Losi and can give a more knowledgeable answer.

4. Bump steer is how the steering changes under compression. It's when suspension geometry is such that a wheel turns slightly left or right as the suspension is compressed, causing the vehicle to steer slightly off-course when it hits a bump.

5. I'll leave these to the Losi guys.

6. I would assume the same way on my Associated (and most other cars): changing the D-Plate (or D-plate pin inserts for some brands).

7. Anti-squat angles refers to the angle at which your lower rear arms sit when looking sideways at your car. If they are angled rearward (the front of the hinge pin is higher than the rear) this is anti-squat. If your hinge pin is angled frontward (rear of the hinge pin is higher than the front, this is pro-squat. A good article on that here. I believe adjustments are made the same way for Losi as it is for AE, a range from 3 dot down to 3 dot up in the hinge pin cap inserts. Each dot represents 1 degree positive or negative.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

thx!!!

hopefully, some losi guys can chime in as well
Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

dont worry about the caster, you cant change it on the losi. as for the adjustable pivots, dont worry about that unless you have adjustable hing pin braces. the losi has has 3 different size pistons that can be used in the shocks, 54,55,and 56.the car comes with 3deg of toe in and anti squat stock,
so dont worry about that because you wont notice the change in the car unless you have been racing for a while. amoeba has answered the other questions.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bastard dsm
dont worry about the caster, you cant change it on the losi. as for the adjustable pivots, dont worry about that unless you have adjustable hing pin braces. the losi has has 3 different size pistons that can be used in the shocks, 54,55,and 56.the car comes with 3deg of toe in and anti squat stock,
so dont worry about that because you wont notice the change in the car unless you have been racing for a while. amoeba has answered the other questions.
Okay, now my only unanswered question is the springs. what are the differences between the link i sent. both are silver. which is the one on the sheet?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

looks like one is front, one rear
Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by imaxx21
looks like one is front, one rear
cool, thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

looking on amain, there are too many silver and green springs. can someone give me the exact link to silver front and green rear???

thx
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

I think i got the two springs...

A5451
A5458

is this correct?

thx
Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

okay fellaws, one last question. i just want to make sure i got this right.

all the diff fluids i have in mugen. all diff fluids are the same across different manufactures, right? for example, 7000wt losi is the same as 7000wt mugen!!!

thanks guys for help me out!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mugen has been referred to as being 1K thicker than Losi. I use all Mugen oil also. So if the setup calls for 5K I will use 4K.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Prophet

the thickest is diffrent from losi and mugen the losi fluid is pretty thick and the mugen fliud is a bit thinner i personally like thinner cause it will take longer before it gums up and gets dirty
Old 08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

I've been running Losi for years and most of the answers you've gotten are very good. The only correction I'd make is with regard to the shock pistons. The pistons linked to above by Amoeba are for the Losi 1/10th shocks. The proper pistons for the 8ight are 15mm and come in a set. Each set has two each of 54, 55 and 56 pistons as well as the o-ring spacers and caps. So you'll need to buy two sets but then you'll get four of each piston.

(I would put a link to them but the admins of this forum don't feel I've posted enough yet to warrant allowing me to place links or pics. Nice eh? Love these boards...)

It shouldn't be hard to find on A-main. The Losi part number for the piston set is LOSA5440.

Personally, I like to stick to one manufacturer for parts and fluids. If I'm running a Losi vehicle I'll stick with Losi fluids for everything (shocks, diffs and other lubes). This is the best way to match the setup the team drivers develope. Heck, I even run Nitrotane fuel! Losi products are generally top-notch.

As for setup, my first question is do you run an original 8ight or are you running the newer 8ight 2.0? While the handling characteristics of the two are similar they're still different enough that a good setup for one may not work well for the other.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Signal151
I've been running Losi for years and most of the answers you've gotten are very good. The only correction I'd make is with regard to the shock pistons. The pistons linked to above by Amoeba are for the Losi 1/10th shocks. The proper pistons for the 8ight are 15mm and come in a set. Each set has two each of 54, 55 and 56 pistons as well as the o-ring spacers and caps. So you'll need to buy two sets but then you'll get four of each piston.
DOH. Good catch. Didn't even notice that when I was grabbing links for him.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Signal151

(I would put a link to them but the admins of this forum don't feel I've posted enough yet to warrant allowing me to place links or pics. Nice eh? Love these boards...)

It shouldn't be hard to find on A-main. The Losi part number for the piston set is LOSA5440.

Personally, I like to stick to one manufacturer for parts and fluids. If I'm running a Losi vehicle I'll stick with Losi fluids for everything (shocks, diffs and other lubes). This is the best way to match the setup the team drivers develope. Heck, I even run Nitrotane fuel! Losi products are generally top-notch.

As for setup, my first question is do you run an original 8ight or are you running the newer 8ight 2.0? While the handling characteristics of the two are similar they're still different enough that a good setup for one may not work well for the other.
thanks signal151. glad u caught that before i ordered. that's why i wait til SUNDAY NIGHT before i place an order. JUST INCASE!!!

looking at my buggy, i do have the correct springs. all i need to purchase is the pistons, 5K diff oil, and shock oil. everything else is just adjustments.

for the record, i bought this buggy as a 1.0 buggy that was used as a parts car. the parts that was missing, i purchased the 2.0 items. that's why i call it a losi 1.8 in my sig. i have a few more parts for it to be considered a full 2.0. also since this was a parts car, i really never checked out the settings, diff oil, or anything. i just put all the parts together and put it on the track. and im hoping that's the reason why it drives like crap. well, the main issue i am having is the rear end is VERY LOOSE. even with a moist track and new tires.

hopefully these adjustments will put my 8ight 1.8 back on par.

thanks all for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.