R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   HPI Trophy 3.5 vs LRP S8 BX RTR's (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/321423-hpi-trophy-3-5-vs-lrp-s8-bx-rtrs.html)

wombat 08-21-2009 06:16 AM

HPI Trophy 3.5 vs LRP S8 BX RTR's

Howdy guys, long time forum reader, first time poster :blush:

I am relatively new to R/C nitro, had a r/c car about 15-20 years ago (a 'Cox Bandido' if anyone remembers the car, think it was a re-badged Kyosho Pegasus....ahhh the memories!:p)

I am looking at getting back into RC, and was looking at a RTR package, and can't decide between these 2 buggies....I am initially looking for a fun (fast) car with a view of doing the odd club race and being competitive (provided my driving abilities are up to scratch:lol:). Having said that, the car will mostly be driven on a purpose built 'off-road' circuit which is covered by carpet, and not dirt (!)

Done a little research, and the following is a list I came up with (pro's and con's if you will)

a) Both RTR packages are around the same price (circa AU$480-$500)

b) The trophy is basically a re-shelled HotBodies Lightning 2, which appears to be a proven design

c) LRP are renowned for good quality electrical gear and engines, which should mean their cars are of a similar standard (they claim its the best RTR in its value class)

d) HPI have terrifc aftermarket support, with replacement/hop-up parts at reasonable prices, stocked by most LHS's

e) LRP parts are available, but a little more pricey, mostly have to be ordered via online hobby shop, but are available (not such a worry)

f) Given the above point, having to obtain a replacement part is less likely, because from what I have read, the LRP S8 BX buggy is quite a sturdy piece of kit with no major flaws in quality/reliability

g) The HPI engine produces a circa 2.5 HP on tap, as opposed to the LRP Z.21 engine which is a claimed 2.12 HP

h) Given the above point, the LRP appears to have a slightly better chassis design, slightly narrower in width, has a front sway bar, relatively large shocks and active caster rear end for better manouverability

i) They both look the goods in the visual department

j) From what I've read, stock RTR servo's aren't up to the task, so I have budgeted for Metal geared servos (9kg plus)

I just can't decide :(

I would like opinions from individuals regarding the two choices (either objective or subjective) to help me make a decision before I put hard-earned cash down, so as I don't regret it later on......

I have also considered the HoBao/OFNA Hyper 7 TQ (which runs a .21/.28 engine), which is around the same price and has good spares support, but every man and his dog has one where I live, I like to be a little different :lol: Although they are an old design (5+ years from what I've read) and heavy compared to modern buggies, they are quite reliable.....

Please be kind to a noob :sweat:

PS sorry for the long-winded thread

Cheers

Frank

MadRussian 08-21-2009 06:19 AM

The LRP/Z-Car hands down

wombat 08-21-2009 06:33 AM

Do you know if the LRP/Z-car buggy is fully ball-raced (not just the engine)? Haven't been able to find out any info on ball bearing set-up for either car....full ball bearings are a must for me...apparently the Hobao/OFNA Hyper 7 is fully ball-raced from what I've been told by dealers...but they actually don't state it on their website.

MadRussian 08-21-2009 06:45 AM

Yes it is, all about these cars here www.z-carusa.com
full ball bearings and they are nice quality ball bearings as well!

malik 08-21-2009 08:14 AM

The Z-car is a good Car a buddy of mine has 1 But get a kit. HB D8