Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
how long in general does it take for a motor to lose it's metal pinch? >

how long in general does it take for a motor to lose it's metal pinch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how long in general does it take for a motor to lose it's metal pinch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default how long in general does it take for a motor to lose it's metal pinch?

And at that point would you consider it fully broken in? or before that.

My ninja has about a liter and a half and i still can't turn the flywheel over (i could but still pinch's). And i know this is a good thing.

man this motor is INSANE!!!! love it, love it. Like it better then my vspec for sure.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Adept

There's really no definite answer. It all depends on how you break-in the engine and the what engine you're running. Different engines gona be different on when they loose their metal pinch. Usually about the 1 gal mark is when most engine are fully broken in. Most of my engines I've had and ran were fully broken in at the 1 gal, except my Sirio CL7B, which took 1.5 gal before the metal pinch went away.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

that seems like a long time. My vspec lost it's pinch probably about a liter

i accidentally ran a tank on the ninja during break in cold

and should i wait until it's fully broken in before i break it down and inspect it?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

If the engine was runin well, and treated properly,aand was a quality engine (Novvarossi, RB, Picco), I'd expect the metal "pinch" to die off pretty quickly leaving behind some metal pinch when the engine is cool but stil have tons on compression.

I think nitro engines run best after they've had at least 5-6 gallons thru them.

Just make sure your running the engine at a hot enough temp, at least 212, and allways use a heatgun to warm your engine before starting.

Chances are you didn't hurt the engine by running it cold. But its not a good idea. You can tear down the engine anytime you want to. There really isn't much going on in there.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
If the engine was runin well, and treated properly,aand was a quality engine (Novvarossi, RB, Picco), I'd expect the metal "pinch" to die off pretty quickly leaving behind some metal pinch when the engine is cool but stil have tons on compression.

I think nitro engines run best after they've had at least 5-6 gallons thru them.

Just make sure your running the engine at a hot enough temp, at least 212, and allways use a heatgun to warm your engine before starting.

Chances are you didn't hurt the engine by running it cold. But its not a good idea. You can tear down the engine anytime you want to. There really isn't much going on in there.
would you put ninja in the quality engine department?

Here is my delima keeping the enigine hot. First, i get it up to 220 with the heat gun. fine. well it's new so i don't want to lean it out to much (which would get the temps you are asking) and i don't want to go wot up and down which would do the same. I am keeping it on the slightly rich side after heating it up to 220. But the temps keep coming down to 180 or 190. if it gets below 180 i put the heat gun back on it. so what am i supposed to do? follow it around with the heat gun?

also, if i heat the engine up with my heat gun pointed down into the cooling head and i get it up to 240, is the p/s getting up to 220? because if i put my temp gun on the block it always says 150? should i take the glow plug out when i heat it?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

anybody want to take a stab at my above questions?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Put some aluminum foil on the head and you'll be able to maintain the temps you're looking for.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

my bad. Forgot to say that, that is with aluminum foil double wraped and tie wraped to the head.

and i am using 20% oddonell. I don't want to use 30% i get great power with 20 so why shorten the life of my engine for some very very small gain?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
my bad. Forgot to say that, that is with aluminum foil double wraped and tie wraped to the head.

and i am using 20% oddonell. I don't want to use 30% i get great power with 20 so why shorten the life of my engine for some very very small gain?

Who said 30% will shorten the life of an engine? I have an OS Speed with 11 Gallons of Sidewinder 30% Worlds Blend throught, it runs as good as the other OS Speed with 2 Gallons on it. For Breakin info, look at the "sticky" at the top of this forum called "Breakin Procedure" or something like that!! If your engine is running a 190degf, putting the heat gun on it untill it gets up over 220degf is not the proper way to do it!! The Ninja is an awesome engine and can handle alot, I don't know if it will handle your wrench turning on it though
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)

If the foil isnt getting the temps where you want them, then i would use a 1/10 scale tire foam. Thats what i do. Or like a wrist band. They are just like a head band for basketball or something but they are made for your wrist. It will fit perfect on the head.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

gee thanx for the enlightening comments car lover.