Wiki Posts
Search

OS Speed Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default OS Speed Tuned

Ive just acquired (on its way) a just broke in OS Speed Tuned for a pretty good deal (Guy getting out). I think its the 1st generation Speed, the head looks like its flat black with red writing. What are the pros and cons. I have always ran Vspecs and no other engine will go into my rides but OS brands, so I figured this would be a good back up motor. I have a race im going to next Sat and was wondering if this engine is better suited for technical tracks or big tracks? I think I remember reading somewhere that the speeds just had a smoother power band, but lacked the agressive Vspec snap.
Any input would be great.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
Ive just acquired (on its way) a just broke in OS Speed Tuned for a pretty good deal (Guy getting out). I think its the 1st generation Speed, the head looks like its flat black with red writing. What are the pros and cons. I have always ran Vspecs and no other engine will go into my rides but OS brands, so I figured this would be a good back up motor. I have a race im going to next Sat and was wondering if this engine is better suited for technical tracks or big tracks? I think I remember reading somewhere that the speeds just had a smoother power band, but lacked the agressive Vspec snap.
Any input would be great.
The speed ou picked up is a first gen speed with the magnesium head. The magnesium is a bit lighter than aluminum and sheds heat more quickly. I also read somewhere the the port timing on this speed version may be a bit different than the standard speed motor due to the head. I have not run a mag head speed. I run the aluminum ones and as you know they are excellent motors.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up os speed

i run one and it great i run with a 5.5 restrictor to get the fuel mileage up its good for the big open track with sweeping turns .i have not tried to run on a small tight tech type of track ,i usually run the standard blue head v-spec for better snap out of the turn
Old 08-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by viperbill1963
i run one and it great i run with a 5.5 restrictor to get the fuel mileage up its good for the big open track with sweeping turns .i have not tried to run on a small tight tech type of track ,i usually run the standard blue head v-spec for better snap out of the turn
thanks. the bigger restrictor should give me more torque punch, right?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

im runnin the 7 in my speed with good smooth power.

im gonna shelve mine this winter for complete rebuild and im gonna try out a reg v-spec in my buggy

ive got around 7 gallons on my speed and have only replaced the front and main bearing. and still runs great. i usually pull it apart every gallon at this point for an inspection of rod and bearings. still decent pinch
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I found the smaller restrictor will give you a "snappy" feel out of the corner and smooths the power up but the power curve falls off very quickly. We generally make a decision when we see the track, and then pick a insert to start with so we can generally match power with fuel consumption for the track.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Good stuff, it should be here tomorrow. Just in time for Saturdays race.