Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Servo problem or servo saver problem?  (DBX) >

Servo problem or servo saver problem? (DBX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servo problem or servo saver problem? (DBX)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default Servo problem or servo saver problem? (DBX)

My Kyosho DBX doesn't like to turn sharp when you're on the gas. The more throttle you give it, the less it turns. I put brand new batteries (4-AA) in the car and looked closely and I can see the front wheels straiten out a little when I'm on the gas hard, as if I'm steering straighter. My question is; knowing this is a budget car, is the problem most likely the servo doesn't have enough torque, or the servo saver isn't strong enough?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you need a batter pack. 4-AA arent giving you enough volts. 4.6 volts is what your getting versus 6 volts you get from a battery pack.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

I thought the (4) 1.5v batteries would give you 6v? But I would understand how a stronger battery pack might help. Can you just drop in any 6v pack?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes any 6volt nimh pack will work (if it fits obviously)
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Do you guys have any battery / charger recommendations?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default battery pack

4 AA x 1.5v = 6v are fine as long as they are NOT rechargeables. Rechargeables are they are 1.2v only, giving u 4.8v. Your steering servo will tell u under 4.8v what u get for that and 6v what u get.

That's another adv of going electric,dun need another 6v battery packs, lightens my buggy !! paypal me and i'll sell u mine, only used it like a dozen times ...

I use a spektrum digital servo and same thing happens...i think under load or speed, ur wheels can't turn as fast anyway, jus like a real car...otherwise, it would flip very quickly ...

eg) when u pick it up off the ground, it turns freely, when u put it down, it doesn't turn...jus like a parked car w/no power steering....

Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the 4.8v clarification, that makes sense now.

I found the problem; it's 100% the servo saver. Can I stiffen this thing up somehow? If I turn all the way left or right, then with my hand try to turn the front wheels strait, it's very easy to get them almost perfectly strait before the servo itself moves at all. The servo saver just flexes (the little spring inside it). Is there a way to stiffen it up, or anyone know of a stiffer aftermarket part that will fit?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is there a threaded collar you can move up on the saver? Twisting that up will stiffin the spring.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jaykay098
Is there a threaded collar you can move up on the saver? Twisting that up will stiffin the spring.
Yes there is a collar, but it's already turned down to where there are no more threads (can't tighten it any more). I'll try to add some washers or something to tighten up the spring, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Servo Saver

hey matt, similar thing happened to me...i jus tightened the screw on top...u can also tighten the nut in the middle w/a wrench..but try the screw first...top and bottom (under the chassis)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Those were both tight. I accidentally screwed it up a bit trying to get some washers installed on top of the spring so I ordered some new parts. I'm thinking of super gluing the servo saver together to see what it does for the steering. I realize this might kill the servo, but that will be an excuse to get a better servo.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default servo

or good excuse to u/g to aluminum ! hahaha
Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Well, it's done! I superglued the servo saver, no more squishy steering. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to try it out.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default glue

the battle of super glue vs super servo ... who will win ? keep us updated!!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Just ran a tank through it in the back yard, very big difference for the better! Turns much sharper while on the gas than it did previously, so this proves that the servo saver had a lot of give to it. The wheels still straiten out a tiny bit while on the gas, I'm not sure if this is flex in the plastic parts or if the servo just isn't that strong, but gluing the servo saver together made a really nice improvement in steering under power. Now when this servo dies (due to no servo saver) I'll upgrade to a stronger servo and see if that makes further improvement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.